Iain Mckenzie - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Iain Mckenzie

EanieMeany

I have no interest on the success or not down south.

As above.

We have plenty of stop and searches in Invercyde also. Its reduced the carrying (as the stats prove) but has not went any way to reduce it to the overall level clowns prepared to take the risk... blade carriers were pariahs in my day. (right enough, it was us young folk who hounded knife carriers)

Do we honestly think that we can reduce this scourge of our society to an 'acceptable' level by media campaigns and just saying 'don't do it'? in my opinion, NO. Mandatory minimum sentences are required. I don't care if we had to lock up blade carrier after blade carrier...the more blade carriers off our streets the better our society may get along.

carry, 2 years.

threaten or attempt to use, 5 years.

use, even at a mimium, 7 years.

I'd like to ask those who are so sure they are right and everyone else is wrong, have you ever had to face or tackle someone brandishing a blade?? If not, i hope you don't ever have to, but your mindset may change slightly if it ever does happen.

Like you, I have no idea what the answer is. BUt I think options needs to be discussed properly to stop the usual tabloid led knee jerk reactions. But glad to hear that stop and search works in Inverclyde.

Personal experience should not cloud judgement when making laws. Having seen my mate slashed by local casuals in a club when I was 18, I have some experience of knife crime, but that shouldn't give me greater say over people who haven't experienced it.

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

I'd like to ask those who are so sure they are right and everyone else is wrong, have you ever had to face or tackle someone brandishing a blade?? If not, i hope you don't ever have to, but your mindset may change slightly if it ever does happen.

To be honest, that means absolutely **** all. As much as experience has to influence governance, reactionary politics do no-one any favours.

I do see the case for minimum sentencing, or at the very least much tougher sentences, but I don't really like the way it's heralded as a final solution. Would it help? Perhaps it would, but I don't think it's the be all and end all, nor do I like the way that anyone who opposes the idea is made out to be some kind of scumbag sympathiser. There's plenty of debate to be had about how to stop knife crime, but guys like John Muir and McKenzie in this instance aren't the best advocates of any argument, in my opinion.

AWMSC

To be honest, that means absolutely **** all. As much as experience has to influence governance, reactionary politics do no-one any favours.

I do see the case for minimum sentencing, or at the very least much tougher sentences, but I don't really like the way it's heralded as a final solution. Would it help? Perhaps it would, but I don't think it's the be all and end all, nor do I like the way that anyone who opposes the idea is made out to be some kind of scumbag sympathiser. There's plenty of debate to be had about how to stop knife crime, but guys like John Muir and McKenzie in this instance aren't the best advocates of any argument, in my opinion.

Bollocks. there is nothing worse than folk who have never been in a situation telling others whats the right course of action. There is nothing reactionary about hammering and cowards that leave the house tooled up!!! hammer them and hammer them hard. Tell me, how is gauging the opinion of folk having experienced the end of a blade a bad thing? Sounds like a politicians argument.

No one is saying its the be all and end all. but it would send a signal out that society is not prepared to cuddle these ****wits any longer!! jail, and deservedly so.

McKenzie is not the best advocate of any argument, end of, Mr Muir see's it as a way of preventing what happened to his lad happening to another, but in Damians case I don't think mandatory minimum sentences would have stopped that nutcase from being on the streets tooled up? Similarly my brother in law would still have lost a limb as the fruitcake who attacked him would not have given a **** about any laws in place..

BUT if it does prevent slashings, stabbings and murders it would be well worth it, even if that was only 1 person.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Bollocks. there is nothing worse than folk who have never been in a situation telling others whats the right course of action. There is nothing reactionary about hammering and cowards that leave the house tooled up!!!

What, so the only people who should be allowed to be a judge, politician or even have opinions are people who have been crime victims themselves??? Law-making, governance and sentencing has to be done completely dispassionately; there's a huge difference between assessing the effect of a crime upon the victim when passing judgements and using the victim's emotions to guide the judgement. The latter can't be allowed to happen, or we'd end up with a return of the stocks and witch-burning.

AWMSC

What, so the only people who should be allowed to be a judge, politician or even have opinions are people who have been crime victims themselves??? Law-making, governance and sentencing has to be done completely dispassionately; there's a huge difference between assessing the effect of a crime upon the victim when passing judgements and using the victim's emotions to guide the judgement. The latter can't be allowed to happen, or we'd end up with a return of the stocks and witch-burning.

No, don't be completely idiotic but those who have experienced the 'sharp' end surely have to have their opinions taken seriously.

Its not just about emotion, its about being able to directly influence to those who sit on high and tell everyone how it should be and being in a position to tell those who have been victims that they 'understand' what they are going through.

What is wrong with say a widow telling a court the impact a knife murderer has had on the lives of those around the victim? Yes it will be emotional and raw but in my opinion required.

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

• 2 weeks later...
How so?

Said bizzarely that Angus McNeil MP welcomed the closure. He can't and won't back up that statement.

McNeils many questions in the HoC will testify he argued to keep it open.

Said nobody in the SNP spoke against plans to close it. Despite sharing a platform with Stuart McMillan MSP during a rally to keep it open!

Campaign group Coastguard SOS had to tweet to him to tell him what he was stating about the SNP was untrue.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Said bizzarely that Angus McNeil MP welcomed the closure. He can't and won't back up that statement.

McNeils many questions in the HoC will testify he argued to keep it open.

Said nobody in the SNP spoke against plans to close it. Despite sharing a platform with Stuart McMillan MSP during a rally to keep it open!

Campaign group Coastguard SOS had to tweet to him to tell him what he was stating about the SNP was untrue.

Someone tell him the ironmonger sells kitchen knives!!

200px-Trollface.png

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

Archived