Next Season - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Next Season

Mr.Blue

I'm sorry? Last time I checked this isn't 2007. He's nowhere near the best player we have; he is the fourth choice centre forward because the other three centre forwards are better than him.

I'm not disputing that Weatherson has made a contribution over his time at the club, but he's past his prime and is quite rightly now only a fringe player.

Hes a very effective player to have. he pops up with goals and covers any where we need him. Why would you want to get rid of someone to versatile?

TIME FOR CHANGE!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest David Edwards
I'm sorry? Last time I checked this isn't 2007. He's nowhere near the best player we have; he is the fourth choice centre forward because the other three centre forwards are better than him.

I'm not disputing that Weatherson has made a contribution over his time at the club, but he's past his prime and is quite rightly now only a fringe player.

No need to apologise and yes you're right, it is 2012. We'll have to disagree on other things though. MacDonald is I agree a better (and different style of) player than Weatherson. But like Weatherson he's also past his prime - why else would he be at Cappielow. He looks mightily pissed off at the moment ( maybe because he's not suited to the target man role that Moore expects him to play).

I'm not convinced about Jackson's abilities and while Campbell shows good potential and adds pace and enthusiasm, the youngster's clearly got a lot to learn.

I know. It's because he's s***e and offers nothing to a football team.

Based on what oh wise one? :blink: He offered us more than a lot of the current squad ie Forsyth Digac plus he gave 100% unlike others. He was an excellent penalty kick taker and gave us options (or only option) at set pieces around the box. But then again you know best............

I have to admit that Weatherson has really been commited for the past few weeks, with a willingness to play anywhere, totally changed player from the start of the season.

On a completely unrelated note, could someone tell me when his bumper contract runs out... <_>

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Based on what oh wise one? :blink: He offered us more than a lot of the current squad ie Forsyth Digac plus he gave 100% unlike others. He was an excellent penalty kick taker and gave us options (or only option) at set pieces around the box. But then again you know best............

Wasting you're time here jimbobton. VT is a D**k of the highest order. He will find something to argue over. For the record, i agree with you.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

I don't think MacDonald should be starting either on his form; has to be Campbell and Jackson.

Hes a very effective player to have. he pops up with goals and covers any where we need him. Why would you want to get rid of someone to versatile?

Like I said, I'm not averse to keeping him as fourth choice striker as he is currently, but he isn't good enough to be starting every week. I appreciate that he'll play in defence when required, but I'd rather we signed natural defenders to play there, as while having Weatherson at right back is infinitely preferable to having Derek Young there, he still isn't good enough to do it and having a slow centre forward in defence is bound to cost us goals.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I don't think MacDonald should be starting either on his form; has to be Campbell and Jackson.

Like I said, I'm not averse to keeping him as fourth choice striker as he is currently, but he isn't good enough to be starting every week. I appreciate that he'll play in defence when required, but I'd rather we signed natural defenders to play there, as while having Weatherson at right back is infinitely preferable to having Derek Young there, he still isn't good enough to do it and having a slow centre forward in defence is bound to cost us goals.

No one is saying he should start every week? I still am of the opinion that if you were to have Peter in a front three it would work really well. He has the mental strength as well as the ability to hold and link up play very well. He's did it time and time again, this season included. He might not be as physically fit anymore but hes always going to be one step ahead mentally than the likes of campbell, whos still learning. With a player of that ability i really can't see why Moore can justify letting him go.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

No need to apologise and yes you're right, it is 2012. We'll have to disagree on other things though. MacDonald is I agree a better (and different style of) player than Weatherson. But like Weatherson he's also past his prime - why else would he be at Cappielow. He looks mightily pissed off at the moment ( maybe because he's not suited to the target man role that Moore expects him to play).

I'm not convinced about Jackson's abilities and while Campbell shows good potential and adds pace and enthusiasm, the youngster's clearly got a lot to learn.

I agree on MacDonald, he certainly is past his prime, but I think he's still good enough to make a contribution as a regular starter at this level, while Weatherson no longer has the ability to start regularly. MacDonald should definitely be dropped on current form though.

I suppose you think Monti's a better player than Allan Jenkins too? :lol:

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

No one is saying he should start every week? I still am of the opinion that if you were to have Peter in a front three it would work really well. He has the mental strength as well as the ability to hold and link up play very well. He's did it time and time again, this season included. He might not be as physically fit anymore but hes always going to be one step ahead mentally than the likes of campbell, whos still learning. With a player of that ability i really can't see why Moore can justify letting him go.

So you think the team would be better with Weatherson in it but don't want him starting every week? :blink:

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Not disagreeing with you there..We would all rather we had signed natural defenders to play there, but we didn't and he was willing to stand up and be counted for good of the club. Think that should be appreciated. Don't think he would ever claim to be a natural defender..

Right now on form he is probably our 2nd choice striker in my mind as MacDonald and Jackson just don't look interested.

Not too sure of the 4th choice striker thing. If any striker is scoring and playing well he will keep his place. It's up to the others to come in and dislodge him.

At the start of the season it was McDonald and Jackson, now Campbell has come in and Jackson warms the bench.

If McDonald isn't scoring or playing well then either Jackson or Weatherson will replace him. Weatherson is being used as a defender at the moment so he's not getting his shot up front.

If we had a decent defence I believe McDonald would have been dropped by now for Weatherson.

Don't blame me I voted Yes!!!! - We tried to tell you !!!!!

Why/ Give me an explanation as to why he shouldn't stay?

One of our highest paid players, who is no more than average in every position he plays in? Fair enough he is " versatile " He's never going to be good enough to hold down a place in the side in any of the positions we've played him in.

If we have a player who is average in his one position, say Paul Di Giacamo then it seems okay to say so and that we should get rid of him, but because Weatherson is average in three positions we should keep him? We'll never progress by keeping average players when we have the chance to get rid of them.

It doesn't matter that he can play in different positions, on any given match day he can only play one of them and will always be as average as any of the other players we have on the field who aren't good enough to be first choice players.

I wouldn't be totally upset if we kept him on, but he's fast becoming another David McGregor who gets kept on far longer than he should have just because he can play in two or three positions.

We could probably get two better than average first division players for close to the wages he is on, if thats not a reason why he shouldn't stay then i don't know what is.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Guest David Edwards
One of our highest paid players, who is no more than average in every position he plays in? Fair enough he is " versatile " He's never going to be good enough to hold down a place in the side in any of the positions we've played him in.

If we have a player who is average in his one position, say Paul Di Giacamo then it seems okay to say so and that we should get rid of him, but because Weatherson is average in three positions we should keep him? We'll never progress by keeping average players when we have the chance to get rid of them.

It doesn't matter that he can play in different positions, on any given match day he can only play one of them and will always be as average as any of the other players we have on the field who aren't good enough to be first choice players.

I wouldn't be totally upset if we kept him on, but he's fast becoming another David McGregor who gets kept on far longer than he should have just because he can play in two or three positions.

We could probably get two better than average first division players for close to the wages he is on, if thats not a reason why he shouldn't stay then i don't know what is.

Do you know how much he's paid?

Yet again i disagree. He's more than just someone who can cover positions. His hold up play up front is something that Macdonald, Jackson and campbell can't offer us. He's strong and given the opportunity is still probably the best finisher we have at the club.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Do you know how much he's paid?

One of our biggest name players who was handed a three year contract at a time when we were handing out the highest paid contracts most likely in our entire history. It's not hard to work out.

Yet again i disagree. He's more than just someone who can cover positions. His hold up play up front is something that Macdonald, Jackson and campbell can't offer us. He's strong and given the opportunity is still probably the best finisher we have at the club.

I hate this myth that he is the best finisher at the club. Not only is he totally not, but more importantly what good is an amazing finisher when we gets himself into between 0-1 shooting opportunities a match any time he's given the chance to play up front?

I've never seen a striker so adept at being nowhere near where he's needed to be any time the ball goes into the box. We've had strikers like Brian Graham who for all his faults was always in the right place to find himself a chance, and Brian Wake who for all his faults could create himself a chance out of nothing leave the club, yet the guy who probably has one of the worst shots on goal ratio of any strikers in the league stays.

He has hardly started a game in the last couple of years, and there is a reason for that as he's just not good enough. Any manager who had the chance to get him off the wage bill should jump at the chance. If it was any other player apart from Peter Weatherson then every single fan would be calling for someone with his appearance record over the last two years to be released. I appreciate his achievements with the club, but you can't keep someone hanging around because of what they did years ago, im only interested in what people can offer us next season and Peter is already past it this season nevermind next.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Archived