Thread About Ex Player - Page 262 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Williams was brilliant for us in the first season and a half (if memory serves me right). As others have said unfortunately he was a daft boy who liked a bevvy and everything that came with that. Shame too as he had the potential to play at a higher level. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts when he looks back on his career.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

IIRC you're a good deal younger than most on here, so you might not remember just how bad things got towards the end of the Cowboy era. I would say there was more disbelief/incomprehension around then, rather than the pure anger that greeted the end of McInally's reign, but I remember one particular game at Dumbarton near the end of the collapse season where the rage was palpable. Our reputation as underachieving bottlers was cast in iron that season and that we haven't ever fixed, and possibly never will. I agree with cmdc that the complete and unmitigated failures of the 'crazy gang' around that time began with the Williams era. McInally just made a bad thing worse (much worse.)

Yeah, that’s how I see it. McInally used an already existing rift (that Dumbarton game was horrible) to develop that mentality and needlessly made it worse - to cover for his own shortcomings - rather than created it himself. Had McInally taken us up at the end of his first season, which he really ought to have done, things might well have been very different. Alas.

ETA - there was also a real momentum to us coming up and building up to the performance at Ross County that seemed unstoppable. We never recovered that.

Edited by cmdc

Alex Smith opened a fresh bottle of Grants and ended up sleeping in a ditch, most likely.

You can safely file that with Tony Fitzpatrick's 'Ricky Gillies will play for AC Milan one day' and more recently, 'Saint Mirren can do a Leicester in 2019' under Pish that Jakey Fitba Men Come Out With.

Very good.

I was just making the point that such was his performance in that one game that Alex Smith made that specific remark. On the night he (Williams not Smith) was outstanding.

Occasionally people do go over the top with their assessments of certain footballers, some, believe it or not according them the status of deities.

Sad and bizarre I know, but true!

Yeah, that’s how I see it. McInally used an already existing rift (that Dumbarton game was horrible) to develop that mentality and needlessly made it worse - to cover for his own shortcomings - rather than created it himself. Had McInally taken us up at the end of his first season, which he really ought to have done, things might well have been very different. Alas.

ETA - there was also a real momentum to us coming up and building up to the performance at Ross County that seemed unstoppable. We never recovered that.

Yep, would agree with that. The Ross County game was the previous season though, but the general point stands.

At the risk veering too far off-topic and retreading old ground, something that gets missed in the analysis of that season is that as lethal as our attack was, there was always big question marks about the other end -  conceding 4 goals at home to Arboath and still winning by 2 goals tells its own story. Even at the time it was a concern that that could be problematic if teams could stop us scoring, so as well as the off-field issues which spilled over on to it, there were footballing reasons for the whole thing collapsing too. I felt then and still do that if we had punted McCormack around February it could still have been salvageable...something that's been a recurring theme under the Rae's stewardship.

An absolute fuckin disaster whichever way you look it.

AWMSC

Just to bring it back to ex-players, Ian Diack played for Arbroath in that game.

Morton really have made some incredibly pointless signings in the past.

Edit: According to Soccerbase, Diack signed for a "nominal fee". Can't remember if there talk of a fee at the time, but it wouldn't be at all uprising if we had paid money for him.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Yep, would agree with that. The Ross County game was the previous season though, but the general point stands.

At the risk veering too far off-topic and retreading old ground, something that gets missed in the analysis of that season is that as lethal as our attack was, there was always big question marks about the other end -  conceding 4 goals at home to Arboath and still winning by 2 goals tells its own story. Even at the time it was a concern that that could be problematic if teams could stop us scoring, so as well as the off-field issues which spilled over on to it, there were footballing reasons for the whole thing collapsing too. I felt then and still do that if we had punted McCormack around February it could still have been salvageable...something that's been a recurring theme under the Rae's stewardship.

An absolute ****in disaster whichever way you look it.

Scott Bannerman's goal in that 6-4 game remains one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh. Maybe even the best.

I remember a few months after that we beat Arbroath 1-0 and it was our first clean sheet in around a decade.

EOho8Pw.png

Just to bring it back to ex-players, Ian Diack played for Arbroath in that game.

Morton really have made some incredibly pointless signings in the past.

Edit: According to Soccerbase, Diack signed for a "nominal fee". Can't remember if there talk of a fee at the time, but it wouldn't be at all uprising if we had paid money for him.

I'm pretty sure we paid something like £20k for him. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Scott Bannerman's goal in that 6-4 game remains one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh. Maybe even the best.

Ooft...it really was. He scored a few crackers in this time.

I was never really sure what to make of Bannerman. At times he could be a pretty decent player, other times he was pretty stinking but when you score a league-winning goal it absolves the bad moments, to be fair.

AWMSC

Very good.

I was just making the point that such was his performance in that one game that Alex Smith made that specific remark. On the night he (Williams not Smith) was outstanding.

Occasionally people do go over the top with their assessments of certain footballers, some, believe it or not according them the status of deities.

Sad and bizarre I know, but true!

Can't think why a reference to an old jakey swigging another bottle of Grants has got you #triggered like this tbh. 

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are