Thread About Ex Player - Page 173 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Derek Lyle misses a penalty in Queen of the South's shootout humiliation to a bunch of leek-howkers.

Deeply savoury.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

It's hard to see what Scottish teams gain from it, other than the chance for a couple of hundred fans to have a right piss-up in foreign lands. (Which, admittedly, is welcome.) Losing to teams from smaller/similar-sized countries that don't have football as the national sport is simply embarrassing.

EOho8Pw.png

It's hard to see what Scottish teams gain from it, other than the chance for a couple of hundred fans to have a right piss-up in foreign lands. (Which, admittedly, is welcome.) Losing to teams from smaller/similar-sized countries that don't have football as the national sport is simply embarrassing.

I thought that it was a perfectly good competition the way it was. I don't know what bringing in some Welsh and Irish sides contribute to the tournament, however if your club is drawn against,say, Llanelli Druids or Sligo Rovers, then it would be an expensive outlay for them compared to drawing an Alloa or Stenhousemuir.

*insert signature here*

Overseas travel costs are subsidised by the SPFL, and the purpose of a four day jolly for the fans trumps club officials whining about expenses anyway (the Wick away in the Scottish Cup rule).

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I love the Coupe de France because the French - nature's MOPEs - cling onto their "empire" by having all their overseas departments take part. This means that when you get to the seventh round (the first six are regionalized; so are the seventh and eighth, but only for the teams from metropolitan France, the overseas teams having run out of opposition) you see clubs from French Guiana playing against little outfits from Aquitaine. This year's seventh round took place this very weekend:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Coupe_de_France#Ties_involving_overseas_teams

Just two overseas teams made it through this time around, one of them impressively defeating a third tier outfit on penalties. Last year an overseas team made it to the eighth round and were drawn away to Lille, but lost 4-1.

edit: oh yeah, the relevant part - needless to say the FFF bankrolls all of this travel. Imagine being a player or hanger-on at a division 6 team somewhere fucking grim like northeastern France, then getting drawn away to a team in Guadeloupe or Tahiti. Brilliant. For this reason I suggest a "Darien Cup" in which Scottish Championship teams face opposition from Panama. The SFA can pay for it.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Genuine question - years ago, we argued on here about the relative merits of the standard of football in Ireland (North and South), and I think the general conclusion was that it was piss poor. 
Given the weekend results, what do you think has changed - I don't see that the football in Ireland has got any better - has the standard in Scotland dropped that much ? I was at two games this season, not a lot I know, and it was Dumbarton away and Falkirk at home - and in both matches the football on display was dire. Have I just been unlucky or has there been a serious decline in the last 3-4 years ?  

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Taking a handful of results from Scotland's third cup competition to cite a general 'decline' to pub league or Irish standards is rather idiotic.

You'll note for example that the majority of gubbins, 'Celtic' entrants weren't taking part this weekend: having been turfed out in humiliating circumstances by the likes of Elgin City in earlier rounds. As was the case last year as well, and will be the case every year that the competition runs. TNS or some other rabble making the last four is just like Albion Rovers, Stenhousemuir or Stranraer doing so when it was a Scottish-only competition. That didn't make the seaside leagues a growing force in the game.

I thought that it was a perfectly good competition the way it was. I don't know what bringing in some Welsh and Irish sides contribute to the tournament, however if your club is drawn against,say, Llanelli Druids or Sligo Rovers, then it would be an expensive outlay for them compared to drawing an Alloa or Stenhousemuir.

I’ve always disliked this tournament.

They should just have held it as a one off as they had originally planned.

Taking a handful of results from Scotland's third cup competition to cite a general 'decline' to pub league or Irish standards is rather idiotic.

Which is exactly what I didn't do - I merely posed the question based on the results - and the answer I'm hearing is no, the standard is about the same as it's always been. 

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Which is exactly what I didn't do - I merely posed the question based on the results - and the answer I'm hearing is no, the standard is about the same as it's always been.

Erm yes you did: you asked 'What has changed...' - a question that takes for granted that some form of change (decline) has occurred in the game. If you wanted to discuss whether or not two results actually indicated any change then you should have used the 'Has there been a decline?' question instead. But you didn't and so... here we are.

Thanks for playing anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Erm yes you did: you asked 'What has changed...' - a question that takes for granted that some form of change (decline) has occurred in the game. If you wanted to discuss whether or not two results actually indicated any change then you should have used the 'Has there been a decline?' question instead. But you didn't and so... here we are.

Thanks for playing anyway.

^^^ Thanks for playing anyway champ.

^^^ doing it wrong

You just need to look at the caliber of players who move from one league to the other. The likes of Gary Twigg were alright but nothing special in the Scottish lower leagues, but put them in the League of Ireland/Irish League and he was Eusebio. Stewart Greacen managed to get not one but two contracts out of Derry City, one of the LoI's bigger clubs in recent years, and none other than Darren Cole is currently an absolute superstar for them.

I know it's a bit of a dodge to say that you can't tell much from cup games but it's true to an extent, nobody is going balls-out to win this the way they are the league, and they are one-off games. But the personnel exchanges are, to me, very telling.

EOho8Pw.png