Thread About Ex Player - Page 409 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

8 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Jim Duffy has just been appointed as manager of Clyde for the second time, replacing Danny Lennon.

Allan Moore had been in caretaker charge... I think he now goes back to the assistant role. So it's an ex-Morton dream team in the dugout.

Hate Clyde but really like Duffy, maybe they can turn a new leaf now that Lennon is gone but I won't hold my breath. A very qualified good luck to him. 

Doyle starts for Hamilton, McGinty and Murdioch start for Ayr. 1-0 to the little people at half time. Accies have been the better side and should have had a goal awarded after a shot crashed off the bar and over the line.  Not given though.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

4 hours ago, TaunTon said:

Aye, there are few more impressive sights in Scottish football than 'Bombscare' McGinty panicking before conceding yet another penalty.

I'm bewildered about that cunt.  How did he ever get on the books at Man United?

*insert signature here*

5 hours ago, capitanus said:

I'm bewildered about that cunt.  How did he ever get on the books at Man United?

Youth football in England is a strange beast.  They hoover up young talent from local clubs and use them to focus on getting the one diamond in each group as close to the first team as possible.

In McGinty's case, he was 15 and they poached him from Charlton.  Paid £250K and bought his parents a house in Manchester.  There were loads of clubs sniffing around him at the time.  The problem is that so many players go through academies and loads end up on decent money.  But very few actually manage to sustain a full time career in football.  He's probably ended up with a better career than others in the Man U youth team he played for.

As an example of how daft it is, my lad played at step 6 on the non league ladder last season.  He was 20 and his team mates included two that had played at Premiership academies, two that had played at League academies and two who had played in the EFL, including one who had played at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.   

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw

Much the same with this guy, was highly rated by Fergie apparently.

https://www.google.com/search?gs_ssp=eJzj4tVP1zc0TMvKMyrMMqs0YPSSTC3JSMxTyEjMzcwpyc9TSMvPL0lKzMlJLQIAJDQOow&q=ethan+hamilton+footballer&oq=rthan+Hamilton+&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j46i13i512j0i13i512l6.10570j0j4&client=ms-android-vf-gb-revc&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

I only know about him as his grandfather was a mate of my late father in law.

Man U bought a house for him at 16 and his grandparents moved down to look after him as they were retired.

Now at Accrington.

15 hours ago, CM48 said:

.....and over to our McInally correspondent, Craig Dunning...

IMG-20221029-WA0010.jpg

It's incredible he lasted as long as he did. He could have been sacked several times throughout that 11 years and pound for pound he's been one of the worst performing managers in the country in that time. Seeing what a good manager like Stewart Petrie can do with a part-time club with a far smaller budget must have Peterhead fans wondering what could have been if they'd appointed someone competent during the years they were throwing full time wages at part time players.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

• 1 month later...

There's a small possibility of Gozie facing Ronaldo next season. His team in the 2nd tier, Jeddah, had been in and around the promotion places, but two defeats and a draw have seen them slip down to 9th, and 6 points from the 4th promotion place. Still 20 games remaining though, so they're not out of it. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2022 at 1:12 AM, TAFKAC said:

Youth football in England is a strange beast.  They hoover up young talent from local clubs and use them to focus on getting the one diamond in each group as close to the first team as possible.

In McGinty's case, he was 15 and they poached him from Charlton.  Paid £250K and bought his parents a house in Manchester.  There were loads of clubs sniffing around him at the time.  The problem is that so many players go through academies and loads end up on decent money.  But very few actually manage to sustain a full time career in football.  He's probably ended up with a better career than others in the Man U youth team he played for.

As an example of how daft it is, my lad played at step 6 on the non league ladder last season.  He was 20 and his team mates included two that had played at Premiership academies, two that had played at League academies and two who had played in the EFL, including one who had played at the CONCACAF Gold Cup.   

Just noticed this - do you mean Step 6 as in tier 6, or the 'technical' Step 6 (which is tier 10)?

EOho8Pw.png

10 hours ago, TRVMP said:

Just noticed this - do you mean Step 6 as in tier 6, or the 'technical' Step 6 (which is tier 10)?

Non league step 6 at the moment, although he's probably got the talent to play slightly higher.  He just needs to finish university in June and see what comes next.  He was at Bromley until he was 16, but left as they wanted him to change schools for sixth form to take up the 2 year scholarship offer.  He'd have had to drop one A level to allow basic full time training, and he made the decision not to as that would have messed up his uni plans.  Only one guy from his youth team has gone on to sign for a league club - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ollie_Tanner and that was circuitous.  

All step 1 clubs are full time, as are a lot at steps 2 and 3.  I watch the local step 4 club and those guys are on decent money but train 3 nights a week.  It's a completely different beast to non-league up the road.  If he was playing Tier 6, where Akinyemi came from, I'd be sending his highlights reel to Dougie....

• Upvote 2

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."

George Bernard Shaw