Thread About Ex Player - Page 403 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Very sad to hear. 

Was delighted when I heard we'd signed him as he was always scoring against us (his cup replay winner for Hearts at Scapa prompted us to bring Roy Baines back).

Was lucky enough to speak to him at the '79 night - he spoke very highly of Bobby Thomson. I'd recently finished reading "Ghosts of Cathkin Park" which he'd made contributions to.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I'm sure I read he had left as he wanted to move back down south. Will be disappointed if he signs for that shower of shite.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

32 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

I'm sure I read he had left as he wanted to move back down south. Will be disappointed if he signs for that shower of shite.

Never saw anything concrete on that but it was assumed with him just having a kid.

Strange one.

• Upvote 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62030282

Poor old Jim McInally is having problems getting a team together as the League Cup is starting so early these days!  Got to feel for him as it's only its SIXTH season in this format so how was he to know! 

Plus now all of a sudden these lazy central belt, part-time players are having second thoughts of travelling to easily accessible Peterhead on a Saturday as they get more money playing in a lower league!!  

Lovely stuff.

here today, gone to hell

15 minutes ago, bob_the_builder said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62030282

Poor old Jim McInally is having problems getting a team together as the League Cup is starting so early these days!  Got to feel for him as it's only its SIXTH season in this format so how was he to know! 

Plus now all of a sudden these lazy central belt, part-time players are having second thoughts of travelling to easily accessible Peterhead on a Saturday as they get more money playing in a lower league!!  

Lovely stuff.

I'll happily shit on McInally with the best of them, but I don't actually see much wrong with that article.

You aren't wrong that the early start shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but he didn't really say much about that. His point was about the landscape shifting, which has been happening for a few years now (Tidser to Kelty one prime example) but feels like it has ramped up again this year.

McInally saying he is losing out on targets because clubs in the Lowland league are offering more could just as easily have been Imrie talking about losing the likes of Wilson, Oliver and Reilly to League 1 (and Ugwu possibly going down there also).

Whether it's for more money, or similar money but with less travel (seen people mention one of the reasons Jack Hamilton wanted away was for an East Coast club), it definitely feels like a strong factor right now.

Surprised Ayr are still managing to coax a bus load of ringers to head north from the non-leagues down south.

Cost of living is a bitch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

I'll happily shit on McInally with the best of them, but I don't actually see much wrong with that article.

You aren't wrong that the early start shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone but he didn't really say much about that. His point was about the landscape shifting, which has been happening for a few years now (Tidser to Kelty one prime example) but feels like it has ramped up again this year.

McInally saying he is losing out on targets because clubs in the Lowland league are offering more could just as easily have been Imrie talking about losing the likes of Wilson, Oliver and Reilly to League 1 (and Ugwu possibly going down there also).

Whether it's for more money, or similar money but with less travel (seen people mention one of the reasons Jack Hamilton wanted away was for an East Coast club), it definitely feels like a strong factor right now.

Surprised Ayr are still managing to coax a bus load of ringers to head north from the non-leagues down south.

Cost of living is a bitch.

I get your point but nah he still gets zero sympathy from me on this. 

Fair enough it's a factor that's been exacerbated by the cost of living but to say you can't pull a squad together because of it is utter nonsense, every other club is going through the same in various extremes.  I don't see Elgin moaning about the same thing despite being arguably more geographically challenged.  Maybe they're doing the sensible thing utilising the talent pool they have locally (Potentially ICT and Ross County loans and the Highland League) rather than asking part-time players to make a ridiculous 4-7 hour round journeys from the central belt to play in Peterhead on their days off work.  

Peterhead have Aberdeen (yes, I know the League Cup match against them is a factor too but it's only one game) and arguably the 2 Dundee clubs to go to for loans (St Johnstone too at a push)

They could also try to coax the best of the Highland League to make the jump up.  It's a very risky strategy admittedly, but if the cost of living is making things so bad it shouldn't be too much of a risk. McInally and Peterhead have multiple promotions and relegations on their record and are still joined at the hip after more than a decade.  Why on Earth would they sack him now after a relegation in season where they couldn't realistically get a competitive squad due to extenuating circumstances outside their control?

I do agree that 9th July is a bit early for competitive football to be starting but we are where we are and it's been that way for 6 seasons now.  The cost of living has been an issue since March/April, if clubs aren't going to forward plan then that's their fault.  FFS we were signing multiple players at the end of May, when was the last time that happened?!

• Downvote 1

here today, gone to hell

Aye he's been training and playing there for most of pre season. 

Anyone heard any news on Jack Hamilton? Been very quiet. 

Peter Grant continues his tour of rancid, nothing clubs by signing for Clyde. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Am I making shit up or was Adam Strachan linked or on trial with is at some point? 

Heard today that he'd passed away at just 35.