Thread About Ex Player - Page 397 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

On 4/27/2022 at 8:59 AM, hayfever said:

https://www.efl.com/news/2022/april/football-manager-efl-team-of-the-season-line-ups-announced/

Named in the League 2 Team of the Year as well, they may yet throw away the league title though as they got beat again tonight.

I can hear the sound of recycled bottles breaking in Gloucestershire, beat again on Saturday and fan-owned Exeter are now top of the league

• Downvote 3

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

I'd be quite happy to see Exeter take the title as they're a decent club who've had their fair share of problems over the years. Forest Green have had a great season and like many clubs they appear to have taken their foot off the gas when they achieved promotion. Somehow I doubt their fans will be too distressed however it ends up.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, hayfever said:

I can hear the sound of recycled bottles breaking in Gloucestershire, beat again on Saturday and fan-owned Exeter are now top of the league

If you are one of their them, then it should read 'fanny-owned'.

Next.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

Whilst it might appear somewhat cold-hearted to object/raise an eyebrow at such a tweet, I think you could really get away with not acting like somebody who’s so utterly reviled by the fanbase and who treated the club so poorly is deserving of any mention whatsoever. 

AWMSC

1 minute ago, EanieMeany said:

Whilst it might appear somewhat cold-hearted to object/raise an eyebrow at such a tweet, I think you could really get away with not acting like somebody who’s so utterly reviled by the fanbase and who treated the club so poorly is deserving of any mention whatsoever. 

Its just the right thing to do.  Recent times have surely taught us that football is only a game, and the health and wellbeing of people is surely much more important.

• Upvote 2

*insert signature here*

11 minutes ago, EanieMeany said:

Or people could just ignore the tweet if they don't like it or him. It's not a nice thing that's happened and Morton have shown common courtesy regardless of what he done  - I'd raise an eyebrow if they didn't. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, capitanus said:

If you are one of their them, then it should read 'fanny-owned'.

Next.

Nicely written there you absolute spanner

• Downvote 4

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Sam Ramsbottom, Kalvin Orsi, and Joe McKee watch on as Gregor Buchanan (own goal) and Ross MacLean help Dumbarton towards League Two. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

That's almost walking football there. No wonder so many of these guys come up here and look so far off being ready for competitive football. 

Yep. The only way to be truly prepared for first team football is to play first team football. Guys who are still playing at the "PL2" level at the age of 22 simply aren't going to make it as top flight footballers, nor even especially close to it, hence a guy who's a world-beater at that level didn't look up to much in the Scottish Championship.

He may very well go on to have a decent career in the lower leagues but the idea that the "PL2" is the training ground for future stars is simply wrong. The ones who are up to much are almost invariably out on loan even at a young age. 

To take extreme examples: at Chelsea, Callum Hudson-Odoi barely ever played in the PL2, going straight to the Chelsea first team as a 17-year-old. (You can say he's gone off the boil since then, but the point is that there was no chance of him playing U-23 football for any serious amount of time.) Then there's Billy Gilmour, same - out on loan to another Premier League team. Mason Mount, two successful loan spells as a teenager and now firmly established in the first team despite still being U23 eligible.

Contrast that to almost anyone else over the age of 19 who's still in the PL2. It's because they're not good enough for first team football at a meaningful, competitive level.

I'm not saying getting guys on loan from there is *always* a bad move but if a guy's almost 23, like Tom Allan, and we're his first meaningful loan move*, we'd do well not to get excited. If on the other hand he's been on loan since the age of 19 or so and is working his way up the divisions, maybe he's a player. Sad to say, but "on loan from a Premier League team" doesn't really mean much at all. For that reason I hope we're judicious with our loan signings this season.

To prove there are exceptions: Oisin McEntee is 21. We're his first "real" club with first team appearances. And he's looked strong for us. So there is a chance these guys can be good. It's just a low chance, that's all, because for the most part if they were any good they'd be playing first team football somewhere already.

*Playing one game for Accrington doesn't really count.

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Is that thee Gary Harkins playing against Garrity's Annan tonight? Thought he retired years ago if so. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

8 hours ago, port-ton said:

Is that thee Gary Harkins playing against Garrity's Annan tonight? Thought he retired years ago if so. 

Yes. He announced he was retiring when he left Stenhousemuir two years ago after the Covid curtailed season. He then signed for Gartcairn but left for a coaching role at Forfar and was registered as a player as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake