Thread About Ex Player - Page 371 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Josh McPake wins the FA Trophy with Harrogate Town, defeating Concord Rangers at Wembley. They will only be champions for another 3 weeks though, with another final due to take place. 

If anyone remembers Kyle Thomson - he played one Cup game for us in 2018 - his da was the bassist for Supertramp! I was listening to Breakfast In America, the banger-laden album, and looked up what became of the band. Lo and behold Dougie Thomson's son Kyle played for Morton.

edit: Should have asked him to invest in the club instead of the Easdales.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

Tonight we find out if Dumbarton end up in the relegation playoffs. Clyde play East Fife in the last game of the regular season. If Clyde win, they go 8th and Dumbarton go 9th. If Clyde don't win, Dumbarton stay up.

Whoever finishes 9th goes travels to Stranraer for the semi-finals, the winner of that facing either Edinburgh or Elgin for the right to play in League One next season.

Best of luck n'at to Duffy, Ramsbottom*, Ruaridh Langan, Forbinho, James Wallace, and Rabin Omar in keeping our Firth of Clyde cousins in the division.

*12 starts, 3 clean sheets, which isn't that bad for a team struggling against relegation. 13 goals conceded. He's apparently been alright since his howler of a first appearance.

EOho8Pw.png

Well that's ended well for Duffy.

So that's 2 of our last 3 managers have taken their clubs to the relegation play off while the 3rd managed to heroically avoid it by 1 goal. We really do know how to pick them.

No idea what the rest of our managerial menagerie have done over the past 20 years but I'd be surprised if any had achieved anything above pub team leagues.

Edited by TaunTon
missed word

As recently as March you had beetroot-faced yer da's on here still going on about what an injustice it is we got rid of Duffy etc. Duffy did better than I thought he would, he provided some great memories, he was certainly the best manager here in recent years, but his time was up - and that he's just led Dumbarton to 9th place suggests that we didn't miss out on the next Arrigo Sacchi after all.

I hope Dumbarton stay up but there's no way he should be in the frame for the Morton job again.

EOho8Pw.png

5 minutes ago, TaunTon said:

Well that's ended well for Duffy.

So that's 2 of our last 3 managers have taken their clubs to the relegation play off while the 3rd managed to heroically avoid it by 1 goal. We really do know how to pick them.

No idea what the rest of our managerial menagerie have done over the past 20 years but I'd be surprised if any had achieved anything above pub team leagues.

If we extend it to 21 years then the "success story" is Ian McCall. Nobody else even comes close.

After that the only ones who didn't disappear through a trap door to Stenny or the like are Kenny Shiels and - I'm giving Peterhead an absolute ton of leeway here - Jim McInally.

EOho8Pw.png

3 minutes ago, TRVMP said:

If we extend it to 21 years then the "success story" is Ian McCall. Nobody else even comes close.

After that the only ones who didn't disappear through a trap door to Stenny or the like are Kenny Shiels and - I'm giving Peterhead an absolute ton of leeway here - Jim McInally.

Almost forgot about McInally. He's lucky his BoD are less aspirational than the Rae's

On the basis that we may (or probably will) meet the winners of this play off next season, I’d prefer Stair Park.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

4 hours ago, AyrshireTon said:

On the basis that we may (or probably will) meet the winners of this play off next season, I’d prefer Stair Park.

Elgin for me. That’s a trip we’re long overdue, just not in the league. Getting a couple of trips up there would be one of the few positives about relegation.

21 hours ago, Toby said:

Elgin for me. That’s a trip we’re long overdue, just not in the league. Getting a couple of trips up there would be one of the few positives about relegation.

If they still give us a whole floor of their social club in the stand, I'd take that too.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

On 5/6/2021 at 3:49 AM, TRVMP said:

If anyone remembers Kyle Thomson - he played one Cup game for us in 2018 - his da was the bassist for Supertramp! I was listening to Breakfast In America, the banger-laden album, and looked up what became of the band. Lo and behold Dougie Thomson's son Kyle played for Morton.

edit: Should have asked him to invest in the club instead of the Easdales.

Yes it was in the news at the time.  Think his dad originally came from Rutherglen.

ETA:

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/scottish-championship/morton-midfielder-kyle-thomson-leaves-club-be-ill-supertramp-dad-2474860

Reminds me of the story when George Harrison was in hospital dying and all those doctors were bringing in guitars for him to sign.   Can just imagine "Hey Mr. Thomson, before you pass away, you don't fancy buying a shite fitba' club?" :lol:

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

On 5/6/2021 at 8:58 PM, TRVMP said:

As recently as March you had beetroot-faced yer da's on here still going on about what an injustice it is we got rid of Duffy etc. Duffy did better than I thought he would, he provided some great memories, he was certainly the best manager here in recent years, but his time was up - and that he's just led Dumbarton to 9th place suggests that we didn't miss out on the next Arrigo Sacchi after all.

I hope Dumbarton stay up but there's no way he should be in the frame for the Morton job again.

I'd take Duffy over McPherson and Millen in a heartbeat.  Or David 'Hoppy' Hopkin.  What a fucking turnip he turned out to be.

*insert signature here*