Thread About Ex Player - Page 345 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

That amount can't be right. The ISL has a salary cap for entire teams of around $2.2m. Paartalu alone would hit that on a six-month deal.

Not saying he's not on decent money but it won't be that amouht, surely?

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

7 hours ago, Woody66 said:

Smoking isn't big or clever. Have yourself a word with Andy Morrison and get yourself off it before it's too late.

Having the occasional fag with a pint is one of life's greatest pleasures.

22 hours ago, Woody66 said:

Smoking isn't big or clever. Have yourself a word with Andy Morrison and get yourself off it before it's too late.

That was nearly 15 years ago, and I don't smoke anymore.

Never ever said it was big or clever.  

Anyway, why should I have a word with Andy Morrison?  What word should that be?  Potato?

• Upvote 1

*insert signature here*

17 hours ago, dunning1874 said:

Jack Iredale has signed for Cambridge United as well.

I'm not one to always clamour for ex-players to return, but those were two players who weren't unrealistic targets and would have been a collosal improvement on what we currently have at centre back, while Iredale would have given us cover at left back as well. Obviously Iredale hardly played at centre back for us, but we know he can defend remotely competently which sets him apart from what we have.

Obviously we're still weeks away and there will be plenty of players out there they might be looking at, but every time a centre back we know of signs elsewhere it increases the fear that we might actually end up with McGinty and McLean as our first choice centre back partnership.

In reality, being a lower league jobber in England with the likes of Cambridge United will be a a far more attractive proposition for Jack Iredale than coming back to Morton.  Saying that, I think he was vastly underrated while he was here and would love him back.

*insert signature here*

16 hours ago, TRVMP said:

That amount can't be right. The ISL has a salary cap for entire teams of around $2.2m. Paartalu alone would hit that on a six-month deal.

Not saying he's not on decent money but it won't be that amouht, surely?

Maybe they have the rule similar to the MLS that you can have players who don't count towards the cap if they increase the profile of the league?

Still seems outlandish though.

Edited by so72

51 minutes ago, capitanus said:

In reality, being a lower league jobber in England with the likes of Cambridge United will be a a far more attractive proposition for Jack Iredale than coming back to Morton.  Saying that, I think he was vastly underrated while he was here and would love him back.

Absolutely, it's no criticism of the club really because we obviously can't compete with an English League Two club offering a two year deal. It's just a shame that someone we knew would be an improvement on what we have has gone elsewhere, but as you say he's undoubtedly had a more attractive offer which can't be helped.

The real question is whether we could compete with a sixth tier English club for Gavin Gunning, who is too good for this division, can carry a defence by himself and was speaking to Hopkin in January. That one's a real pisser.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Big lamie strolling it at left back against hibs. He's been good going forward too. Playing some really good passes. 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

1 hour ago, Mr.Blue said:

Big lamie strolling it at left back against hibs. He's been good going forward too. Playing some really good passes. 

Cheeky wee studs moment too.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

1 hour ago, AyrshireTon said:

Cheeky wee studs moment too.

Missed that. What did he do? 

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

8 hours ago, so72 said:

Maybe they have the rule similar to the MLS that you can have players who don't count towards the cap if they increase the profile of the league?

Still seems outlandish though.

Aye, still outlandish. Not trying to criticize him at all but if a team is paying the literal equivalent of their entire wage bill for Erik Paartalu, something has been majorly fucked up. 

I have an ex colleague who I'm still friendly with, he's interviewed Sunil Chhetri (India's top player and a teammate of Paartalu's) a few times, most recently earlier this year. I wouldn't ask him to spill Chhetri's wage even if knew it, which is doubtful, but he will know the ballpark. I'm going to ask him next time I talk to him. 

Edited by TRVMP
  • Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

3 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Missed that. What did he do? 

Went in for a challenge and emerged with the ball, but left the guy on the deck. TV didn't replay it but radio said he left his studs on the Hibs player.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Rumours that Gregor Buchanan is also heading to Queen of the South.

We're on no position to laugh at anyone else's centre backs, but between Buchanan and McKee that's a solid bottom half League One side they're building.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

On 8/11/2020 at 11:17 PM, Toby said:

I see the BBC Scotland channel showing a documentary about the ups and downs of Garry O’Connor’s career.

That should be some laugh.

Said documentary is on at 10pm tonight.

• Upvote 1

Extensive interview with Joe McKee about his whole career here. He speaks very highly of Jim Duffy when he's talking about Morton.

https://www.stonewallermag.co.uk/post/joe-mckee-curtain-call

While on his time with us he also mentions "wanting the ball all the time"...

Oh Lord, Brian Wake