Thread About Ex Player - Page 325 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Surely the transfer windows (more final free agent window) also does this though.

Yes, it does. There is more than one solution at play here.

I don't think it serves any real purpose to count matches played before the close of the transfer window in August.

In the case of Tidser, for example, when Rotherham completed the squad for the close of the the window, he was surplus to requirements and could only find a temporary solution before the January window.

It's too restrictive when the initial window closes after the season begins.

Perhaps there is a case to be made for this. It wouldn't impact the Gunning situation but I can see the logic in it.

From hazy memory was this also a reaction to Anelka etc buying out their contracts to move from club to club?

I don't recall that but this would also make sense. It would fall under a similar category to the convenient "release."

EOho8Pw.png

If he's desperate enough to sign a contract could we not offer him something for next season with a retainer to tide him over until then? It may be more expensive than waiting for him to be free but he might accept reduced terms if we pay him during his downtime. Reading between the lines he's desperate to sign a deal and doubt anyone else will gamble on him.

It's not possible to "release" a player under contract. He had his contract paid up to a level mutually acceptable to him and Billericay. You could say that he didn't have much of a choice, and that he accepted his because to do otherwise would be to run the risk of getting even less if Ricay entered administration. That may be true, it it's far from guaranteed.

After this he accepted a short-term, non-contract deal St Solihull, which once again he chose without a gun to his head, and did so despite the fact he could have sought out a deal to the end of the season elsewhere. This was 100%, entirely his choice. Even if (and to me it's a very big if) the Billericay situation was so unusual as to merit a second look, this one wasn't.

The rule exists both to protect players and clubs and makes perfect sense, and 98% of British players will go a whole career without thinking twice about it. That Gunning is one of the guys who keeps running into it says far more about him than about the rule.

I know that one day we will sign Sir Gavin on top of a mountain, and there’s going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance until the sun rises. And then his children will join the club and we will tour the countryside and you won’t be invited.

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I know that one day we will sign Sir Gavin on top of a mountain, and there’s going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance until the sun rises. And then his children will join the club and we will tour the countryside and you won’t be invited.

Again, I advocate strongly for us to use any means necessary to sign him, up to and including a ringing endorsement of this sob story about eligibility. We could end the transfer and contract system for all I care, just get him in.

EOho8Pw.png

Brian Graham puts Partick ahead against a poor looking Ayr.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

On the issue of playing for more than 2 clubs in a season, does Kirk Broadfoot transferring back to Killie not make a bit of a mockery of that rule?

I think it goes against the spirit of the rule, but not the letter.

EOho8Pw.png

Cardle should have walked for that nonsense.

• Upvote 1

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Absolutely.

Listening to commentary, I thought the pen was pretty clear cut and actually the ref had a better angle than the camera.

Yet Billy Dodds made a suggestion it was a bit soft, then the commentator(liammacleod?) lept on that to say no pen and then kept the controversial pen thing going.

Then the Muirhead cardle incident. It was as blatant as could be!

If cardle isn't retro done then it is all a pile of pish.

• Upvote 1

Absolutely.

Listening to commentary, I thought the pen was pretty clear cut and actually the ref had a better angle than the camera.

Yet Billy Dodds made a suggestion it was a bit soft, then the commentator(liammacleod?) lept on that to say no pen and then kept the controversial pen thing going.

Then the Muirhead cardle incident. It was as blatant as could be!

If cardle isn't retro done then it is all a pile of pish.

Not only was it a stonewall penalty, I thought it was a straight red. The defender made no attempt to play the ball. I wonder if McLeod would’ve been so vocal in his criticisms of the decision had it been awarded to Partick, rather than against them.

Regarding Cardle, I’m not sure any retrospective action can be taken, as the referee booked him at the time. Pretty sure that in the SFA’s eyes that renders the matter closed if the referee has taken action. He could of course have been booked for the headlock prior to Muirhead’s rugby tackle, but in that case, the free kick would’ve gone Ayr’s way, so it would appear he was booked for the double elbow.

He’s a horrible wee bastard, and Muirhead’s not much better tbh.

Robbie Muirhead got a two match ban after initially being booked for his tackle against Dundee at Dens, so you’d imagine the three separate red card offences Cardle committed in the space of five seconds would surely see him suspended for violent conduct for each offence.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Robbie Muirhead got a two match ban after initially being booked for his tackle against Dundee at Dens, so you’d imagine the three separate red card offences Cardle committed in the space of five seconds would surely see him suspended for violent conduct for each offence.

I was confused with the Robbie Muirhead one at the time based on the fact he had been booked for the tackle. My belief was that due to the booking there could be no action taken afterwards as the referee had acted. Had he missed it then I understand it can be looked at but as stated above I thought if the ref sees it then it’s done. The Robbie Muirhead one suggests that isn’t really the case then?