Thread About Ex Player - Page 307 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

So would you prefer unattractive football leading to a promotion, or attractive football* that leaves us middling in the Championship? 

Is that the only options available?

It may well be heresy but I'm doubtful that promotion is realistic until something radical happens to ownership. no matter how many hammer throwers or 'legendary' lower league journeymen we unearth.

If you play turgid, boring football and get promoted or otherwise massively exceed expectations then great; if you play turgid, boring football and rarely trouble the top half of the table, you're just wasting everybody's time, all the whilst asking for £20 a go/£300 up front and an extra £120 a year to sign more shite players.

Given that there's little evidence of us doing hhe former anytime soon, it's not really unreasonable to expect some form of entertainment in its place now and then.

AWMSC

You can have that but I think I'll pass.

Ah bless, another one of those deluded lower league Scottish football fans who think that they've got a right - or even worse, a so-called 'tradition*' - of seeing 'fitba played thu right way'. You don't. It's not Ajax or Barcelona you're dealing with here: you'll take what you can get so long as it gets results. Which it does.

If you play turgid, boring football and get promoted or otherwise massively exceed expectations then great; if you play turgid, boring football and rarely trouble the top half of the table, you're just wasting everybody's time, all the whilst asking for £20 a go/£300 up front and an extra £120 a year to sign more shite players.

The vast majority of the 'turgid, boring football' I've seen at Cappielow has been played by the Largs-bred football philosophers who think that passing the ball slowly around a back four all day long is some sort of great contribution to the game. It isn't. Getting the ball forward in the most direct manner possible - so long as you have the players at your disposal to do something with it in the opposition third - is both superior in terms of results and entertainment. As was borne out by Friday night's game on Alba, which had more goalscoring chances and genuine entertainment from David Irons' team than all of Jonatan Johansson's dismal, possession-based borefests put together. 

Given that there's little evidence of us doing hhe former anytime soon, it's not really unreasonable to expect some form of entertainment in its place now and then.

The idea that 'oh well, we can't possibly compete to reach a league stacked with dross like Hamilton, Livingston, Ross County and the spoon-burners, so let's just try and play pretty passing football instead' is exactly the sort of attitude that has been stinking out this football club ever since the Rae's took over. As soon as a team goes behind, it's 'get the baw on the deck' time from the braying masses - as if the collection of second tier jobbers on the park will be transformed into the Ajax '95 side by that simple innovation. There's no appetite at the club for the sufficient pragmatism and ruthlessness to do what it takes to actually punch above our weight for the first time in a generation; rather, there's a willingness to gobble up endless failure so long as it's nice to look at for a change.

It's times like this where I think that the fanbase has fully deserved the tragic football team that it's had over recent years. 

* see Falkirk, whose typically gormless fanbase think that they've got a 'tradishun of exciting forward play' because they had Russell Latapy once

• Upvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The other thing is, even direct play can be exciting. Think of Blackburn in the mid 90s with Shearer up front. Hendry punts to Ripley on the wing, low cross in, bang, it's in the net before the opposition can react. That was basic hoofball at its core, albeit with some wide play, but I don't recall much complaining at the time.

The fact is that any form of football, even the most cynical, can entertain if it's done correctly. Even ultra-defensive play can be amazing to watch - think Inter's Champions League win back in the mid 2000s. As long as there's either good execution or an end product, footbl can be a joy to watch.

Of course slick passing and individual skill is *better* to watch at the highest level. I don't think many would dispute that. But watching Drogba outmuscle his way onto a ball over the top can also be thrilling.

EOho8Pw.png

Having combed the archives, I don't think this has ever happened before. It might never happen again.

Incidentally, the last time a current Morton player lined up for Scotland was 30 May 1952, when Jimmy Cowan made his final full international appearance, against Sweden. And the very first Morton player to pull on the dark blue was Robert Fleming, in a 7-2 win over Ireland at the Ulster Ground in Belfast on 20 March 1886. This was his only cap.

The last time two current Morton players lined up in the same Scotland team was in a 1-0 defeat to Wales at Hampden on 14 November 1951, Jimmy Cowan and Thomas Orr starting. It was to be Orr's second and last cap, his having scored on his debut a month prior in a 3-0 win over Northern Ireland at Windsor Park.
Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

I had thought Morton had three players in one Scotland team in the late 40's/early 50's with Cowan, Steele, Campbell and Orr having a string of caps between them over that period. However I've just checked and only two played together in any one match, always Cowan with one of the other three,

Looking at ex-players getting capped prior to this decade, it’s back to McInnes. So the last time two were in a squad together before this was David Hopkin and John Spencer in 97, but they were never on the pitch at the same time. Spencer got his final cap five days before Hopkin made his debut, and that wasn’t the window where Hopkin scored his two goals anyway.

• Upvote 1

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

We allegedly dodged an alleged bullet with this alleged fucking reprobate. But aye, it's not looking good for him and while I know better than to treat the newspapers as gospel truth, if the evidence given in court by that first witness is transcribed correctly then he's a right fucking sociopath.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

Why do they have to show him wearing a Morton strip when his last club in Scotland was Thistle and the incident took place while he was a Thistle reject .... sorry player.

It clearly doesn't fit with the cuddly narrative that journalists must subscribe to when the jags are featured.