Thread About Ex Player - Page 304 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Don’t think it was in August, I’m sure the final was the same day as the Scottish cup final.

I thought it was in July, IIRC it was on at the same time we were in that infamous pub in Morecambe, the York Hotel during the Preseason tour.

*insert signature here*

While the club certainly took their time acknowledging his passing, this is at least a warm, detailed, and appropriate obit.

To be fair, they acknowledged his death immediately on social media. If it takes a few days to do a bit of research into a guy that played for the club fifty years ago and pen a detailed, fitting obituary, I’m all for that.

Hopefully he’s given a minute’s silence at Saturday’s game.

Watching Bachirou in the Malmo-Copenhagen 'derby' - can't believe some folk didn't rate him when he played for us. Either they're talking pish, or his improvement since leaving us has been nothing short of astonishing.

He was atrocious in the 13/14 campaign. I know nearly everyone was, but as VT has pointed out many a time, his attempts at screening that season were laughable. Clearly benefited from very good coaching from Potter and his team when he moved to Sweden initially.

• Downvote 1

To be fair, they acknowledged his death immediately on social media. If it takes a few days to do a bit of research into a guy that played for the club fifty years ago and pen a detailed, fitting obituary, I’m all for that.

Hopefully he’s given a minute’s silence at Saturday’s game.

Yeah, that's fair, I don't use Twitter so I didn't see it, but that puts me in the minority.

• Upvote 2

EOho8Pw.png

He was atrocious in the 13/14 campaign. I know nearly everyone was, but as VT has pointed out many a time, his attempts at screening that season were laughable. Clearly benefited from very good coaching from Potter and his team when he moved to Sweden initially.

I've had to point out loads of times that a big issue that season was that he was nearly never played as the holding midfielder. Players like Reece Hands, Michael Habai, and Scott Taggart filled the more defensive midfield role at different points of that season. That specific criticism is just revisionism - he wasn't, for whatever reason, being asked to play that role.

• Upvote 1

Findlay

Aye, I’d left him out as he’d been called up but not capped but I’d expect him to get one here.

Even stranger then that the one player we do rate is the one who was part of that defence.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Well he wasn't a "screener" so that's a completely moot point. That's not his game at all. He was a Kante-esque harrier and ball winner, not an anchorman.

I've had to point out loads of times that a big issue that season was that he was nearly never played as the holding midfielder. Players like Reece Hands, Michael Habai, and Scott Taggart filled the more defensive midfield role at different points of that season. That specific criticism is just revisionism - he wasn't, for whatever reason, being asked to play that role.

The only person dealing in revisionism here is yourself. There was no such thing as 'the holding midfielder' role that season because the formation was typically a variant of 4-2-3-1: the two players situated in front of the defence being instructive here. That you think having some total jobber playing a similar role suddenly gave Bachirou total creative freedom to ship 70 league goals in that campaign is utterly ridiculous nonsense. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Well he wasn't a "screener" so that's a completely moot point. That's not his game at all. He was a Kante-esque harrier and ball winner, not an anchorman.

A trait that he showed in spades at New Douglas Park when he tirelessly won the ball and broke down all Hamilton attacks (other than the ten that he actually waved through like a McGills bus). 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Watching Bachirou in the Malmo-Copenhagen 'derby' - can't believe some folk didn't rate him when he played for us. Either they're talking pish, or his improvement since leaving us has been nothing short of astonishing.

It's really not a mystery at all. Bachirou's performances in the last year at the club were truly abysmal and the only two logical explanations are:

i) he was completely out of his depth playing in the Scottish Championship or 

ii) he was barely trying a leg having slithered back to the club after an entire summer spent flashing his knickers in the free agent market to no avail

The only real debate going on for the past five years is how much of that garbage return could be attributed to column i) and how much to column ii). So all your observation does is further the 'mercenary snake' thesis, albeit long after the facts and his tactically inept displays at a far lower level. 

A trait that he showed in spades at New Douglas Park when he tirelessly won the ball and broke down all Hamilton attacks (other than the ten that he actually waved through like a McGills bus).

Kante himself wouldn't have made a difference against the Hamilton Globetrotters that fateful day. If anything, they'd have scored more.

Show some #resepct

Edited by Hej

The only person dealing in revisionism here is yourself. There was no such thing as 'the holding midfielder' role that season because the formation was typically a variant of 4-2-3-1: the two players situated in front of the defence being instructive here. That you think having some total jobber playing a similar role suddenly gave Bachirou total creative freedom to ship 70 league goals in that campaign is utterly ridiculous nonsense.

Taggart was playing that role, sitting in front of the back four.

Moore never really used that type of role, and he changed things up quite a bit that season so there were a few variations. We changed between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 (4-3-3). Moore was never one for playing 4-2-3-1. He didn't play a discernable 2 behind a 3 - that's just not how he set up his teams (it might have been helpful if he did).

Aye, I’d left him out as he’d been called up but not capped but I’d expect him to get one here.

Even stranger then that the one player we do rate is the one who was part of that defence.

Fair enough, not sure why, thought he got a cap.