Thread About Ex Player - Page 302 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Joe Mason was a hero of mine too - I think he signed for the club in time for the 66-67 season when we had just been relegated from the old first division. That was the first season I had a season ticket (£4 for the year, seated right next to the home dugout in the front row) and from then on i hardly ever missed a home game. I remember Joe scoring an amazing goal against Third Lanark at the WDE when a high diagonal cross came in from the left, but dropping slightly behind him. Without breaking stride, Joe backheeled the ball over his own head and as it dropped in front of him he volleyed it into the net. Would have been a goal of the season if it had been on the TV. Also remember him scoring a beautiful curling shot against Killie, in a League Cup quarter final second leg, with highlights on TV, to give us a win at Rugby Park and a semi final against Celtic (who gubbed us 7-1 I think, but that was the European Cup winning Celtic team so not really comparable to getting beaten 6-0 by Dundee United).

I assume there will be a minute's silence for Joe on Saturday (or is that sort of thing now be reserved for former Old Firm players who have absolutely no connection to Morton?).

That goal was against Raith Rovers not Third Lanark, but your description of it is spot on. He was a great player for us and a really nice man.

• Upvote 1

Joe along with Joe Harper were my boyhood heroes and he was a pleasure to watch. Always busy and looking for the ball, a thunderbolt shot and great vision when it came to picking out a pass. 100% guy in all respects and a great servant to the club.

• Upvote 1

Never saw him play obviously, but Allan McGraw spoke very highly of Joe Mason from his time as a player at Morton.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

RIP Joe, fantastic player who could pick up the team and the fans with his great energy and enthusiasm, coupled with great skill. In his best season for us he scored 47 goals! Loved his 30 yarder against Celtic at Parkhead. also saw him score against Chelsea in our only European match. The backheel over his head was quite a regular trick of Joe's. When he was taken to Rangers as coach he even ended up playing for the first team!

• Upvote 1

Looks like Shankland has been called up to the Scotland squad. Excluding when Rangers* were working their way back up through the leagues, when was the last time a lower league player was called up?

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

Looks like Shankland has been called up to the Scotland squad. Excluding when Rangers* were working their way back up through the leagues, when was the last time a lower league player was called up?

Lewis Morgan. Before that McGinn.

Fuck Shankland. Will never forgive him for being a fat disaster for us.

I agree with his call-up though. Looks to me like the perfect option against the San Marino plumbers and electricians.

Edited by Hej

Lewis Morgan. Before that McGinn.

Fuck Shankland. Will never forgive him for being a fat disaster for us.

I agree with his call-up though. Looks to me like the perfect option against the San Marino plumbers and electricians.

Morgan would have officially been back at Celtic when the Scotland call came so the answer is really McGinn.

Edit to add Shankland is a cunt.

Edited by Jamie_M

Before Morgan and McGinn it was Barrie McKay.

Strange to think, assuming Shankland makes an appearance, two players will have gone on to play for Scotland after leaving Morton this decade and they were both absolutely rancid for us.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Strange to think, assuming Shankland makes an appearance, two players will have gone on to play for Scotland after leaving Morton this decade and they were both absolutely rancid for us.

For all that Morton has been a career graveyard for so many players, those two's failings were entirely of their own making. McKay was (and presumably still is) a wee fanny and Shankland was a big fat mess who was shite at St Mirren too.

I would be unsure about hat-tricks against defences like ours being worth a call-up if it wasn't for the fact that the alternative is Matt Phillips. The version of Shankland that played for us would almost be preferable to that big donkey.

AWMSC

For all that Morton has been a career graveyard for so many players, those two's failings were entirely of their own making. McKay was (and presumably still is) a wee fanny and Shankland was a big fat mess who was shite at St Mirren too.

I would be unsure about hat-tricks against defences like ours being worth a call-up if it wasn't for the fact that the alternative is Matt Phillips. The version of Shankland that played for us would almost be preferable to that big donkey.

I don't rate him for Scotland either, but Matt Phillips would destroy teams in this league.

And Ian Black as a Third Division player before him.

Quick quiz question- who was the last lower league* player to score for Scotland?

*Lower leagues in Scotland of course, before some smart arse hits out with Fletcher or Rhodes.

And Ian Black as a Third Division player before him.

Quick quiz question- who was the last lower league* player to score for Scotland?

*Lower leagues in Scotland of course, before some smart arse hits out with Fletcher or Rhodes.

Lee Wallace was capped when they were in League One as well, wasn’t he?

Stevie Crawford?

Oh Lord, Brian Wake