Thread About Ex Player - Page 261 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Bachirou on the telly again.

Looking back to 2010/11, mental to think we had him, Tidser and Allan Jenkins in midfield and spent the entire season in bottom half of the league

We rarely saw the three play together. I’d need to double check how often all three started together, but Jenkins and Bachirou only played together 12 times including sub appearances.

Bachirou was only really eatablished as a starter in March that season. Graeme Holmes and Carlo Monti both started more games over the course of the season, and Darren Young started ahead of him several times as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Morning all.

Greenock Morton, First Division, Season 2008/09

Jenkins in the starting 11: P20, W11, D5, L4
Jenkins not in the starting 11: P16, W1, D6, L9

I’m sure that’s just a coincidence though and he definitely wasn’t carrying us by virtue of being the best midfielder at the club by a mile.

I know football's about opinions and all that, but it's hard to avoid the conclusion that anybody suggests Jenkins wasn't a seriously good player both at Morton over his career has a pretty weird understanding of the game.

Since the turn of the century he was one of the best players in the lower leagues over his career. First time I saw/remember seeing him was when Stranraer put us out the Scottish Cup after we beat Ross County, remember thinking "this big fanny wi th daft highlights can't possibly be good". Wrong.

AWMSC

Bachirou on the telly again.

Looking back to 2010/11, mental to think we had him, Tidser and Allan Jenkins in midfield and spent the entire season in bottom half of the league

All in all, probably our best player since Lindberg. Shame it ended on a bit of a sour note on and off the park.

• Downvote 2

All in all, probably our best player since Lindberg. Shame it ended on a bit of a sour note on and off the park.

At least he didn't join Falkirk.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

First time I saw/remember seeing him was when Stranraer put us out the Scottish Cup after we beat Ross County, remember thinking "this big fanny wi th daft highlights can't possibly be good". Wrong.

That was a real “back down to earth moment”. We thought that having beaten 1st Division Ross County we’d have little trouble with 2nd Division Stranraer.

Didn’t Jenkins also score their goal in that crunch promotion game at Stair Park?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

That was a real “back down to earth moment”. We thought that having beaten 1st Division Ross County we’d have little trouble with 2nd Division Stranraer.

Didn’t Jenkins also score their goal in that crunch promotion game at Stair Park?

Yep, and it was an absolute screamer, too.

Certainly was. That day at Ross County's one of the real highlights of the last 20 years, regardless of anything else that happens it'll always be a stand out for me. Alex Williams was dynamite.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

Certainly was. That day at Ross County's one of the real highlights of the last 20 years, regardless of anything else that happens it'll always be a stand out for me. Alex Williams was dynamite.

Absolutely. After the game Alex Smith (was he Manager/Director of Football at Ross County at the time, some role like that) said that Williams was certain to go on and play for Scotland.

What went wrong?

Absolutely. After the game Alex Smith (was he Manager/Director of Football at Ross County at the time, some role like that) said that Williams was certain to go on and play for Scotland.

What went wrong?

Williams was (is?) a Keith Moon figure who was destined to burn out under the weight of his own personality. Which is to say he was a complete fucking bam.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't know if it's an age thing, or if it's that I spent a fair chunk of his best period at Morton living abroad, but I can't say I remember Williams all that fondly. A genuine talent, but also a pretty clear symptom (and probably, in part, a cause) of what went wrong at Morton around that time. Amazingly, we've still not really recovered from those failures and the rift they caused between the club and the support.

What went wrong?

Alex Smith opened a fresh bottle of Grants and ended up sleeping in a ditch, most likely. 

You can safely file that with Tony Fitzpatrick's 'Ricky Gillies will play for AC Milan one day' and more recently, 'Saint Mirren can do a Leicester in 2019' under Pish that Jakey Fitba Men Come Out With. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

What went wrong?

I absolutely despise that jakey auld tramp.

Alex Smith, that is. Not your brother this time.

• Upvote 1

Whoever's idea it was to fill his pockets with money then leave him to his own devices in a flat also has to shoulder some of the blame. If you're signing a guy like Alex Williams for what was and is by S(P)FL standards a high-profile amount, you really have a duty of care towards him. Ultimately he failed himself, but I think he was also failed by the club in many ways, in that they granted him too much independence and weren't tough enough on him when he needed it.

EOho8Pw.png

I don't know if it's an age thing, or if it's that I spent a fair chunk of his best period at Morton living abroad, but I can't say I remember Williams all that fondly. A genuine talent, but also a pretty clear symptom (and probably, in part, a cause) of what went wrong at Morton around that time. Amazingly, we've still not really recovered from those failures and the rift they caused between the club and the support.

The main cause of the rift was actually Jim Mcinally's risible and pathetic attempts to build a siege mentality around the squad (and lying his head off about the big, bad fanbase to allow him to row back from a promised resignation) during his four year spell of bottling failure. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The main cause of the rift was actually Jim Mcinally's risible and pathetic attempts to build a siege mentality around the squad (and lying his head off about the big, bad fanbase to allow him to row back from a promised resignation) during his four year spell of bottling failure. 

IIRC you're a good deal younger than most on here, so you might not remember just how bad things got towards the end of the Cowboy era. I would say there was more disbelief/incomprehension around then, rather than the pure anger that greeted the end of McInally's reign, but I remember one particular game at Dumbarton near the end of the collapse season where the rage was palpable. Our reputation as underachieving bottlers was cast in iron that season and that we haven't ever fixed, and possibly never will. I agree with cmdc that the complete and unmitigated failures of the 'crazy gang' around that time began with the Williams era. McInally just made a bad thing worse (much worse.)

EOho8Pw.png

What went wrong?

I really do think that's the trajectory he was on if he had the mentality of a guy like Chris Millar, to use a team-mate as a reference: people tend to talk about him in the context of his first season, but in the first half of the following one he was even better, something which gets over-looked because of how it panned out. 

You tend to think has career finished after he left, but he managed a decent number of goals for Clyde in the First Division and then for Ayr, so even for making a cunt of things he didn't actually do as badly post-Morton as you'd tend to think (even if it's not close to what he should have done).

Also, have a look at these two goals (1:00 and 2:20): 

Whoever's idea it was to fill his pockets with money then leave him to his own devices in a flat also has to shoulder some of the blame. If you're signing a guy like Alex Williams for what was and is by S(P)FL standards a high-profile amount, you really have a duty of care towards him. Ultimately he failed himself, but I think he was also failed by the club in many ways, in that they granted him too much independence and weren't tough enough on him when he needed it.

I'd agree with that as well, ultimately the blame lies with Williams himself but I just find it a pretty sad story all round. You had a prodigiously talented young guy who seemed to have the world at his feet before it all went wrong, it just seems a real shame although it's hardly a one-off story in Scottish football.

AWMSC

IIRC you're a good deal younger than most on here, so you might not remember just how bad things got towards the end of the Cowboy era. I would say there was more disbelief/incomprehension around then, rather than the pure anger that greeted the end of McInally's reign, but I remember one particular game at Dumbarton near the end of the collapse season where the rage was palpable. Our reputation as underachieving bottlers was cast in iron that season and that we haven't ever fixed, and possibly never will. I agree with cmdc that the complete and unmitigated failures of the 'crazy gang' around that time began with the Williams era. McInally just made a bad thing worse (much worse.)

I remember the 03-04 season perfectly well and the relationship was not fundamentally that different at the beginning of the following campaign. The team was still being backed in very large numbers by the fans and for the most part, the recrimination of the last few games had been put to bed. It was quite possible that either McCormack could have repaired the damage with a reasonable squad clearout (although he was more likely finished) or that a more competent and personally secure manager could have harnessed in a positive manner the huge support that the club still had to chase down two dung permadiddy outfits and win the league from October 2004. Instead we got McInally and a siege mentality in which crap neds like Scott McLaughlin and no-marks like Brian ****ing Graham viewed the people paying their wages on a weekly basis as if they were s***e that they had stood on in the street. 

Edited by vikingTON

I never got the need for him to have a flat in Greenock tbh. We knew his family very well at the time from drinking in the Norseman and his parents were as decent a couple as you could expect to meet, and coming from Govan, it was hardly a nightmare commute for him were he to decide to stay at home.

Of course, with a few quid in his pocket the temptation was probably to move out and enjoy himself to the full, which he certainly did, but giving him that independence, with a good wage was probably foolish on the club’s part.

Regarding his career after Morton, bear in mind he was also part of the Clyde team that beat the beggars in the cup. Although Tony Wallace can also lay claim to that one.

In light of his off-the-pitch disciplinary issue at Stirling, he should have been told he'd be living at home if he wanted to go full-time with Morton. Hindsight is 20/20 and all that but he was stunningly immature.

EOho8Pw.png