Thread About Ex Player - Page 248 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Don't know, but he has been getting rave reviews for Ayr this season. Maybe Duffy had the aforementioned blind spot as he never gave the boy a chance even when Gaston was chucking in a goal a game.

Got to wonder what Duffy was up to when we had an u21 international on loan from the best team in the country and he couldn’t get a game over an error prone keeper.

Seems to have turned it around at the right time and he also has a transfer window now to further strengthen.

Glad to hear that Hoppy may be becoming successful down there, hopefully he's got a couple of young prospects looking for competitive 1st team football that he can lend us till the end of the season.

We always hear this patter about how some ex-employee is going to send the next Messi on loan, or that whatever diddy's turn it is in the dugout will be able to snap their fingers and their old clubs will send their top starlets.

None of these things ever happen. If anybody had good young players Morton will be at the very bottom of the list of destinations on account of being absolutely shite every year and having zero track record of developing players for the top level.

• Upvote 2

AWMSC

Glad to hear that Hoppy may be becoming successful down there, hopefully he's got a couple of young prospects looking for competitive 1st team football that he can lend us till the end of the season.

Not sure why we’d be looking for players who aren’t even getting a game for a dross League One outfit.

Next.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We always hear this patter about how some ex-employee is going to send the next Messi on loan, or that whatever diddy's turn it is in the dugout will be able to snap their fingers and their old clubs will send their top starlets.

None of these things ever happen. If anybody had good young players Morton will be at the very bottom of the list of destinations on account of being absolutely s***e every year and having zero track record of developing players for the top level.

Who said anything about messi but a competent player for this level maybe available ala Declan McManus was when old boy McInnes lent us him in league 1. So it clearly does and can happen.

Who said anything about messi but a competent player for this level maybe available ala Declan McManus was when old boy McInnes lent us him in league 1. So it clearly does and can happen.

I don't think that's why we got Declan, given that he'd been at Alloa prior to that and not done very well (in the division above.) It's more likely that Derek (correctly) thought that League One was his level at that stage of his development, and thus it proved.

The broader point is correct - a manager is unlikely to jeopardize a player's development by loaning him outside of his appropriate level, even if he's big mates with the club in question. For one thing it isn't a good look to his current employers; for another it's unfair on the player in question. I could see it happening if, say, four or five clubs who are much of a muchness are competing for a player, the manager then steering them towards his preferred choice. But that's a really marginal benefit and not one worth getting excited over.

And sometimes it can even backfire. When Darren Ferguson got sacked as Preston boss, "Sir" Alex withdrew the three players he's loaned to artificially boost his wee wife-beating boy's performance. Admittedly that's a fate unlikely to befall Morton.

Edited by TRVMP

EOho8Pw.png

I don't think that's why we got Declan, given that he'd been at Alloa prior to that and not done very well (in the division above.) It's more likely that Derek (correctly) thought that League One was his level at that stage of his development, and thus it proved.

The broader point is correct - a manager is unlikely to jeopardize a player's development by loaning him outside of his appropriate level, even if he's big mates with the club in question. For one thing it isn't a good look to his current employers; for another it's unfair on the player in question. I could see it happening if, say, four or five clubs who are much of a muchness are competing for a player, the manager then steering them towards his preferred choice. But that's a really marginal benefit and not one worth getting excited over.

And sometimes it can even backfire. When Darren Ferguson got sacked as Preston boss, "Sir" Alex withdrew the three players he's loaned to artificially boost his wee wife-beating boy's performance. Admittedly that's a fate unlikely to befall Morton.

The point I was replying too was that no ex employee is going to lend us a decent prospect and that's clearly bollocks as McInnes has done that on 3 occasions, John McMaster also did it at Swansea. Obviously they want it to benefit the player and their current employer and it doesn't always work out but cultivating these arrangements with ex-players can help when budgets are tight and we're competing against clubs with more money than us. It was one of Duffys strengths being seen as a safe pair of hands in the game to develop and nurture young talent, hopefully JJ and Houston can sell themselves and the club the same way because the loan market is crucial to clubs like us now.

You really think "I used to play there 30 years ago" is close to the top of the list when it comes to deciding where to send players? Or that Hopkin will be sitting going "I really need to send some players to Morton"?

Managers don't give a fuck about the well-being of other clubs and won't be making decisions about the fate of their young players based on where they used to play.

Edited by EanieMeany

AWMSC

You really think "I used to play there 30 years ago" is close to the top of the list when it comes to deciding where to send players? Or that Hopkin will be sitting going "I really need to send some players to Morton"?

Managers don't give a **** about the well-being of other clubs and won't be making decisions about the fate of their young players based on where they used to play.

Your right sentiment towards the club is probably not the overriding factor but it may tip the balance if we're competing for the same loan players. Anyway here's hoping JJ can tap into loans from wherever, be it McInnes, Hopkin, contacts in Finland, Ibrox or anywhere else.

Raging that Hopkin’s showing signs of being a competent manager.

^^^ idiot found

Gormless enough to think that 20th in English League One counts as both credible management and a credible source of players for The Famous.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

The point I was replying too was that no ex employee is going to lend us a decent prospect and that's clearly bollocks as McInnes has done that on 3 occasions, John McMaster also did it at Swansea. Obviously they want it to benefit the player and their current employer and it doesn't always work out but cultivating these arrangements with ex-players can help when budgets are tight and we're competing against clubs with more money than us.

John McMaster played barely 30 games for the club 30 years ago and as far as I can tell has contributed absolutely fuck all to the club while at Swansea. If bringing in Alex Samuel on loan is his great gift to The Famous then we’re better off without that totally worthless contribution.

The rest is gormless, ‘fitba men’ based yammering. Competent football teams use scouting, not gubbins ex-player links to improve their squad.

The rest is gormless, ‘fitba men’ based yammering. Competent football teams use scouting, not gubbins ex-player links to improve their squad.

Was on of the rent-a-goons a while back not shouting about how they had a wide range of contacts in England that they'd be tapping in to? Needless to say, that came to nothing.

If a manager has a good scouting network, has contacts who can tip them off to availability etc then they'll maybe do some business; otherwise, they won't regardless of how long their CV is. Every time we get a new manager we hear this kind of patter and nothing comes of it.

AWMSC

John McMaster played barely 30 games for the club 30 years ago and as far as I can tell has contributed absolutely **** all to the club while at Swansea. If bringing in Alex Samuel on loan is his great gift to The Famous then we’re better off without that totally worthless contribution.

Competent football teams will use every opportunity open to them to improve their squad including scouts, ex players and any other means.

John McMaster played barely 30 games for the club 30 years ago and as far as I can tell has contributed absolutely **** all to the club while at Swansea. If bringing in Alex Samuel on loan is his great gift to The Famous then we’re better off without that totally worthless contribution.

McMaster was also a youth coach at Morton and had a couple of spells as assistant manager to McGraw either side of Cormack. But yeah, I agree - these things rarely amount to much. See also the oft touted but rarely seen buying club loaning a new player back to the selling club. Edited by cmdc