Thread About Ex Player - Page 213 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

They had him playing right wing in a pre-season friendly the other night which must have been a laugh :lol: 

Good luck to him, likeable guy who gave us 100%. Just wasn't good enough offensively. 

Surprised he got a ft club. Try’s hard but awful footballer. Good luck to him.

Harsh to say awful footballer IMO.

Very poor offensively but absolutely fine defensively. He played just about every game for us the last two seasons!

Probs because he was 1 of duffys nice boys.

He was crap.

He wasn't. He was part of a decent defence and was by far the fittest in the team. Going forward he was poor but you can't have everything at this level and I guess Ray is looking for some more balance.

If you have a full-back who "is poor offensively" and is only going to sit and provide cover for a winger, then surely you're wanting a natural defender who can tuck in at centre-back or play in a back three. Doyle is none of these things, so all you're really left with is a guy who isn't very good. 

I'd expect a lot of our play against Queens to be focused down their right wing.

AWMSC

If you have a full-back who "is poor offensively" and is only going to sit and provide cover for a winger, then surely you're wanting a natural defender who can tuck in at centre-back or play in a back three. Doyle is none of these things, so all you're really left with is a guy who isn't very good.

I'd expect a lot of our play against Queens to be focused down their right wing.

He'd be capable of dealing with that. As part of a back 4 he's good at defending and his running did get us up the park and take pressure off. His biggest failing was distribution but that doesn't make him a poor defender as part of a back 4.

Probs because he was 1 of duffys nice boys.

He was crap.

Rubbish. Doyle was fine defensively and worked his arse off every game for us. The biggest problem was Duffy's insistence on not signing a winger to play in front of him meaning he was our attacking threat on that side too which isn't his strength.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Doyle had a couple of big problems. One was that his passing and crossing up the pitch could be so poor that he was creating good opportunities for opposition breaks. This meant that not only did he not create very much, but also that he could be problematic defensively. On the whole he was good enough defensively, but he did have a spell when he was a bit error prone and a bit prone to being caught flat footed (being slow off the mark was his other problem - I think he had been described as the slowest and fastest player at the club). 

On the flip side, an on form Forbes in front of him pretty much hid all of those deficiencies and gave him the confidence to play his best stuff for us. He looked a really good right back for a spell. He also works really hard and comes across as a great guy, so there's never a hint of him hiding or giving up. 

Rubbish. Doyle was fine defensively and worked his arse off every game for us. The biggest problem was Duffy's insistence on not signing a winger to play in front of him meaning he was our attacking threat on that side too which isn't his strength.

The fact he worked hard is not in dispute. He is crap.

I liked Doyle, and if we wanted to continue to float about the middle of the Championship he’d have probably still been fine, but to push on it was somewhere we clearly had to upgrade. We haven’t (yet) but anyone capable of putting in a decent cross would already be an improvement.

• Upvote 2