Thread About Ex Player - Page 206 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

As mentioned, I think the issue with Dec was he gave Duffy an assurance he was re-signing then never turned up for the meeting, with Morton only finding out through social media that he had signed with Raith.

It was all very shady at the time and didn’t really buy the distance/family excuse. However hopefully he enjoys his commuting to Dingwall this season!

According to a Rovers fan on P&B, McLaughlin was touting himself as 'available' on Twitter in January. Now, he may well have had permission from the club to do so, for all I know. But if he did have such permission, can he really act surprised that they're not phoning him begging him to come back in May? And if he didn't have permission, why is he expecting greater loyalty than he himself has shown?

Again, I don't think he's entirely wrong that Rovers have been inconsiderate here* but again, why is this purely a one-way responsibility? Power has been flowing in the direction of players for years, causing much uncertainty and (dare I say it) anxiety for others at clubs, including other players. To play the mental health card when he knew fine well he'd signed a one-year deal is really unfair.

*apparently they are in major financial trouble, the bank (RBS) is making the key decisions, and they've brought in some guy from the Juniors as manager, so my guess is there's a lot of uncertainty over their budget etc. But even if that's the case, there is nothing to prevent them from phoning up players and saying "listen, we're not in a position to make an offer right now because of the budget, but this may change" or something.

Have to correct myself here - another Rovers fan now says that the reason McLaughlin touted his availability in January was that Rovers hadn't told him he was being kept on for the rest of the season. So that part is moot and undermines my point.

For what it's worth here is Rovers' statement:

http://albionroversfc.co.uk/albion-rovers-fc-club-statement/

The club would like to issue the following statement.

All player and coach contracts expired at end of season 2017/18. As soon as our new manager was appointed, the club secretary made contact with all players via their internal mobile training App to invite them to meet and have discussions with the new manager. There were also discussions between individual players on the clubs’ future plans. Some players attended the meeting with the new manager, some made different arrangements with John while others declined the invitation and a few didn’t respond. We at that point presumed those not contacting the club did not wish to be involved with ARFC next season. Scott McLaughlin has now spoken to the club and we intend to move on and look forward to next season.

We have spoken to the PFA and they are more than happy that we did everything reasonable to contact all the players.

We at Albion Rovers pride ourselves on being an open, community minded club and wish Scott all the best for his future and thank him for his time at Albion Rovers FC.

A distinct lack of timeline around that, but it is worth saying that they didn't appoint their new boss until May 22nd.

EOho8Pw.png

Have to correct myself here - another Rovers fan now says that the reason McLaughlin touted his availability in January was that Rovers hadn't told him he was being kept on for the rest of the season. So that part is moot and undermines my point.

For what it's worth here is Rovers' statement:

http://albionroversfc.co.uk/albion-rovers-fc-club-statement/

A distinct lack of timeline around that, but it is worth saying that they didn't appoint their new boss until May 22nd.

Sticking a notice in their app doesn't seem the most efficient way of contacting players in the off season unless they were contractually obliged to still check the app every day. Different if they also sent a text saying 'meeting arranged, details on the app'.

But if some players saw it and went, strange the word didn't filter to all.

Read on pnb that he's got a full time job so Dumbarton makes sense.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Plus he almost single handedly won us the league that year.

Paul McGowan was also key to a seaside league title campaign and he's a reprehensible human being. It's almost as if a footballer's innate, snake-like qualities don't just disappear because they scored some important goals against plumbers and fishermen. 

• Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If anyone remembers Kenny McLean, he's now scored his 200th goal for Beith Juniors.

Yes, was talking to him after the Beith Juniors game a couple of years back. He wasn't treated to well by JTT back then and he seems like a decent lad, so congrats are due to him.

*insert signature here*

Guest mcintyre_gmfc93

Don't think it's same guy. Report says 30 years old. Gary Fraser was early 20s ?,

Must be a typo. Definitely the same guy.

Quality.