Thread About Ex Player - Page 200 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Putting aside the judgements on his personality and character, based on pretty much zero evidence or knowledge of what he is like as a human being - and looking at it solely on footballing perforances, if this conversation took place 12 months or even 6 months ago the opinions would likely be different.

He's away to a bigger club who have been playing in the top tier for a number of years, who have a better infrastructure, decent sized fanbase and a manager who is bringing him in to form part of a team he intends to win the league with.

This is a better move for him than it is for Morton.

Oware showed in his cup performances against top level teams that he has the potential to play at a higher level than the Championship and was the integral part of a defence that performed very well over 3 or 4 seasons.

Chances are fairly high that he will be playing in the Premiership next season.

Nae bother Tam.

I've always had the impression that TOW thinks he's a better footballer than he is. To me he's no more than a half decent defender who is prone to making mistakes, with the saving grace that can be very effective at set pieces at the other end of the park. I'd have been happy if he had stayed but I'm not losing sleep that he's headed for the jags.

His ego will fit perfectly with a big club like Partick  ;)

Putting aside the judgements on his personality and character, based on pretty much zero evidence or knowledge of what he is like as a human being - and looking at it solely on footballing perforances, if this conversation took place 12 months or even 6 months ago the opinions would likely be different.

He's away to a bigger club who have been playing in the top tier for a number of years, who have a better infrastructure, decent sized fanbase and a manager who is bringing him in to form part of a team he intends to win the league with.

Oware showed in his cup performances against top level teams that he has the potential to play at a higher level than the Championship and was the integral part of a defence that performed very well over 3 or 4 seasons.

Hi Tam. Nice of you to join us. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

So you think he’ll leave Partick at the next transfer window?

I don't care about his perceived personality. The bottom line is he'll be hard to replace on our budget.

Agree mate. Longest serving player, absolutely loved a goal (whether he scored it or not) and a player for big games. I really rated O'Ware and will be sorry to see him playing against us next year.

Agree with both of the above, my only regret is his choice to announce his departure in the press the day before the Inverness game, lacked a bit of class.

• Upvote 1

Agree mate. Longest serving player, absolutely loved a goal (whether he scored it or not) and a player for big games. I really rated O'Ware and will be sorry to see him playing against us next year.

Totally agree. He had his flaws but he wore his heart on his sleeve, played for the jersey and has been a great servant to the club. He was also a good centre centre half at this level.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

I don't care about his perceived personality. The bottom line is he'll be hard to replace on our budget.

We already have two better defenders at the club right now and the hierarchy have restated their intent to challenge for promotion. That should be taken at face value right now - it's what their regime will be judged against too - and the budget issue has to be viewed in that light. Through probably a mix of a smaller squad of contracted players and use of the loan system, McKinnon's task is to build a side that is better than what we have had over the past few years. Having to replace a centre-back is inconvenient given we'll have plenty of players to bed in elsewhere in the side, but is not a major obstacle to the task. The fact that Luca was punted after about 0.05 seconds despite being an okay option at this level suggests that the new manager has some targets in mind - let's just hope they're not from the same place that he got 'the Edge'. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Totally agree. He had his flaws but he wore his heart on his sleeve, played for the jersey and has been a great servant to the club. He was also a good centre centre half at this level.

Perhaps he was a great servant to the club, but when you reject a contract offer from The Famous to sign for Partick fucking Thistle, you hand in that card at the gates of Cappielow - no exceptions are made. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Agree with this, thought Tam has been a good servant for the club, but hope he has rotten season along with his new team mates.

We already have two better defenders at the club right now and the hierarchy have restated their intent to challenge for promotion. That should be taken at face value right now - it's what their regime will be judged against too - and the budget issue has to be viewed in that light. Through probably a mix of a smaller squad of contracted players and use of the loan system, McKinnon's task is to build a side that is better than what we have had over the past few years. Having to replace a centre-back is inconvenient given we'll have plenty of players to bed in elsewhere in the side, but is not a major obstacle to the task. The fact that Luca was punted after about 0.05 seconds despite being an okay option at this level suggests that the new manager has some targets in mind - let's just hope they're not from the same place that he got 'the Edge'.

You better not be on about Kilday again here as one of the better two!

"He's not the messiah........He's a very naughty boy!.............Now P*ss Off!"

**** Tam O’Ware, he left with delusions of grandeur, thinking he’d get a move to England or the Premiership, and he’s ended up at a team in the same league as us.

He’s not the best defender, masked by scoring goals from set pieces, and he blames everyone around him even when he’s at fault, and doesn’t take well to criticism.

No great loss.

I agree with all of this except the last part - whether or not he's a loss is wholly contingent on who else we manage to bring in. He was at this level a fairly good defender, so time will tell if we can find one better. But compared to losing Gunning this isn't a blow at all.

EOho8Pw.png

O'Ware is every bit as error prone and liable to give a goal away as Kilday, if not more so. It's just that Kilday's errors tend to be of the 'pass it directly to a centre forward' type, whereas O'Ware's tend to be charging 5-10 yards out of position through a complete lack of concentration or awareness.

That means Kilday's mistakes are more noticeable and he has nowhere to hide, while crucially the nature of O'Ware's errors mean he can pass the buck to the rest of the defence when they're unable to cover for the gaping hole he leaves as the opposition score one or two passes later.

Of course, people view his bawling tantrums at his teammates when he refuses to take responsibility for his errors in those situations as 'leadership', 'passion' or 'good communication', rather than seeing that his complete abdication of responsibility is indicative of a player who'll never stop making those mistakes as he genuinely believes he isn't doing anything wrong.

O'Ware does have the raw ability to be an excellent centre back at this level, but unless a manager can sort that attitude out he's never going to be. It's far easier for a manager to coach the flaws out of a player who actually accepts that they need to improve.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

The one weakness O'Ware has on the playing side is his lack of pace and that won't change.

If he had decent pace he could be a top class player but that aspect will hold him back.

Having said that, the Thomas O'Ware of the 16/17 season was at Championship level a class act and although a bit off that level last season he has shown what he can do.

We will do well to get better.