Thread About Ex Player - Page 190 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Great intel!

Never quite understood why they didn’t go down the college route as a tier below, or feeder to, MLS. It’s a model the public understand well.

From the outside looking in, and only having a passing interest in it, the MLS looks too big with the effect a heavily diluted elite. A second tier with promotion and relegation would be an alien concept but it’s perhaps getting to a number where it is necessary.

This is a total guess and I don't have any intel on it at all but I think the college route is less important because of all the US sports this is probably the one with the second most imports, or the most (ice hockey will either be ahead, or not far behind.) Ice hockey also doesn't have much of a collegiate aspect to it, with the overwhelming majority of imports coming up through the Junior Hockey system in Canada or from Europe. Similarly in soccer players come in from mostly Latin America preformed. That's not to say there's no path to professional MLS play from soccer - the laughably named "super draft" is good for a few players each season who go on to have decent careers. But it's just not the only way to go here, whereas there is no path at all to the NFL that doesn't involve college or st the very least high school football.

And you're right about the MLS, it's unwieldy and it suffers from neither having powerhouse teams full of big names nor nail-biting competitiveness. It's moored awkwardly between those two extremes. Until every single team has some star power that won't change, and the league is too big for that to happen. Teams like Columbus will never have it (arguably Dallas won't either).

EOho8Pw.png

On the subject of development leagues it can work here - look up minor league baseball. A dizzying array of development and pro teams that run parallel to and after college baseball.

I stumbled across live televised 12 year olds playing softball last time I was over. The sporting culture is mind boggling. Walked round UGA last summer, a 90,000+ seater stadium stuck in middle of the campus. Utterly nuts!!

I was also lucky enough to see a 0-0 draw between Orlando and Chicago. Stood behind the goal, it was more like being at a gig. No one was really, if they’re being honest, really that interested in what was happening on the pitch, but they were belting out the songs for 90 minutes non-stop. Songs with chorus and verse...

I was also lucky enough to see a 0-0 draw between Orlando and Chicago. Stood behind the goal, it was more like being at a gig. No one was really, if they’re being honest, really that interested in what was happening on the pitch, but they were belting out the songs for 90 minutes non-stop. Songs with chorus and verse...

I've never been to an Orlando FC game but their 'ultra' scene sounds a lot like that. The fans in the beer garden section behind the goal at Dallas in fairness at least do watch the game but also focus a lot on their drums and trumpets. In Seattle and Portland they seem to combine their left-wing ultra scene with an actual interest in the game. It'll be interesting to see how Orlando do once the novelty wears off, but it's a very fast-growing area (I spend a lot of time in central and northern Florida and the central area is a boomtown right now) and even if they eventually lose the tourist traffic I think they'll be alright in terms of gates and TV coverage. Then there are teams like Dallas that have dreadful support despite being good for years.

Fan culture here is a bit odd, the 'preMEER league' is becoming fairly popular among Anglos, and Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern have good support among both Hispanics and everyone else, and LigaMX is huge with Mexicans. MLS is really in fourth place in most of the country and I think its fans overcompensate a bit. That said I do like going to the occasional Dallas match (although I'm giving tonight's friendly with Santa Tecla of El Salvador a miss.)

EOho8Pw.png

I've never been to an Orlando FC game but their 'ultra' scene sounds a lot like that. The fans in the beer garden section behind the goal at Dallas in fairness at least do watch the game but also focus a lot on their drums and trumpets. In Seattle and Portland they seem to combine their left-wing ultra scene with an actual interest in the game. It'll be interesting to see how Orlando do once the novelty wears off, but it's a very fast-growing area (I spend a lot of time in central and northern Florida and the central area is a boomtown right now) and even if they eventually lose the tourist traffic I think they'll be alright in terms of gates and TV coverage. Then there are teams like Dallas that have dreadful support despite being good for years.

Fan culture here is a bit odd, the 'preMEER league' is becoming fairly popular among Anglos, and Barcelona/Madrid/Bayern have good support among both Hispanics and everyone else, and LigaMX is huge with Mexicans. MLS is really in fourth place in most of the country and I think its fans overcompensate a bit. That said I do like going to the occasional Dallas match (although I'm giving tonight's friendly with Santa Tecla of El Salvador a miss.)

Tl;dr.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hopkin for £850k to Palace?

He went from Palace to Leeds for a lot more than that. I'd hazard a guess at around £3.5 million, although I can't find a source.

Edit: £3.25 million, and then £2.5 million from Leeds to Bradford according to the link below.

http://www.sporting-heroes.net/football/leeds-united-fc/david-hopkin-5969/league-appearances_a15364/

Edited by Toby
  • Upvote 2

Billy Steel's transfer to Derby County was the (then) UK transfer record.   Â£15,500 in 1947 is about Â£617,000 in today's prices, adjusted for inflation.  

He was then transferred to Dundee for Â£22,500 in 1950, which is about Â£757,000 today.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Gary O’Connor - £1.6 Million to Lokomotiv Moscow.

It depends how you define 'former'. Yes he is a former Morton player now, but at the time of his transfer was not.

Former referring to before the pertinent transfer is more relevant.

I recall Ed saying Gunning was a failure at Port Vale and would never make it etc. Looks like they wanted to keep him but he's made the step up to FGR, who have an eco-stadium that Ed built with his bare hands.

Fun facts update: less than two months after this post, Sir Gavin Gunning's Forest Green Rovers are storming clear of a previously inevitable relegation - due to no longer shipping goals every week - while His former side Port Vale have failed to win a single game in 2018, have slid beneath Forest Green in the table and are now prime candidates for relegation to the non-leagues. If only there was a transfer deal between the two clubs in January that could explain this stunning reversal of fortunes. But Ed de Fantasist obviously didn't see that outcome coming - despite being the real brains behind Rinus Michels' Total Football revolution in the 1970s.

Sad!

Edited by vikingTON
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are