Thread About Ex Player - Page 89 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Brian Graham scored for Ross County and Jason Walker for Barrow, both penalties

After 90 minutes Barrow led 3-1, four minutes of injury time later and they're 4-3 down. :o  

• Downvote 1

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

McGuffie actually had a really decent spell for us at right back in the final months of his contact when playing under Grady. Must've been Grady who got the best out of him.

McGuffie was obviously a rubbish central midfielder, but he was a solid right back and that's why once he'd been moved there with us he then held a first team place down at this level for several seasons between us and Queen of the South.

In pure technical ability alone Monti wasn't dreadful, but that's irrelevant to how effective he was; he just didn't really contribute anything in any of the multitude of positions he played. Great penalty taker and we've seen far worse players, but there's nothing else to be said for him.

I remember Irons being interviewed just after he become manager and was asked how he planned to improve the squad. He replied that he had noticed that the team had no natural full-backs.

He then spent his entire time as Morton manager playing McGuffie in midfield and never signing any "proper" fullbacks.

Edited by SramTon

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Speaking of having no "proper" fullbacks - anyone know whatever happened to Alex Walker? I assume he chucked it after the injuries, but did he carry on playing junior/amateur at all? 

He always looked the type that would go on to pile the weight on after retirement so it'd be interesting to see him now. Bet he's about 17 stone.

He played with East Stirling for a couple of years and piled the weight on, not sure where he ended up after that.

Shame how things turned out for him. I remember him being a half decent centre mid for us but then again I would only have been about 13 at the time so I've no idea if he was any good there or not.

Shame how things turned out for him. I remember him being a half decent centre mid for us but then again I would only have been about 13 at the time so I've no idea if he was any good there or not.

Seemed to perform well at centre mid, fullback or centre half. Injuries were never far away though which basically ruined his career throughout.

Not sure what he did after leaving East Stirling in 2011 but he definitely isn't playing football at any level at the moment.

TRUST THE DUFF

If I was Declan McDaid I'd have left too. Moore's refusal to give him a decent chance would have drove most players to seek a new club.

Aye, you could entirely understand Moore's reluctance to bring McDaid into the team when we were still in the title race as it could be a lot of pressure to be putting on a young player who may not be good enough which could have been detrimental to the team as a whole. That said, having an underperforming midfielder in a midfield that had actually had a shape which in turn lent balance to the whole team couldn't possibly have been worse than the imbalance in the team caused by shoehorning McMenamin in while bombing Graham into the reserves, meaning we played with a lopsided midfield with no natural width on the right, all while we McMenamin mostly underperformed anyway.

Aside from that though, when the title race was over and Moore had entirely pressure free, meaningless end of season games to give players a chance to prove themselves, he left McDaid out, not even getting as much as a token sub appearance, while giving Kyle Wilkie and Tony Wallace a game. It's no surprise McDaid would look at that and think he had no chance of getting first team football under Moore, so given the choice of reserve football at a top flight club or reserve football with Morton there was no contest.

Edited by dunning1874

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Took a notion to Google Jake Nicholson (remember him?) Now with Walton Casuals in the Isthmian South, ie level 8 in England. Sair yin considering he played in the Europa League for Spurs in 2011.

EOho8Pw.png

Moore made all of the right noises when discussing youth players in the media but clearly had no interest of giving any of them a chance. Strange one.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Moore made all of the right noises when discussing youth players in the media but clearly had no interest of giving any of them a chance. Strange one.

He clearly did give some a chance.

http://www.fitbastats.com/morton/manager3.php?id=102

• Downvote 1

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Sean Crichton has scored twice for Airdrie at Brechin.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Who in that list came through our youth system and played for the first team?

You never mentioned coming through the youth system in your earlier post. But here's the youth players that Moore put on the pitch at some point.

Kane, Shepherd, Deans, Frizzell, Hawke, Kasubandi, O'Ware, Fulton, McDaid, McLaughlin, McLean and Russell.

• Downvote 1

You never mentioned coming through the youth system in your earlier post. But here's the youth players that Moore put on the pitch at some point.

Kane, Shepherd, Deans, Frizzell, Hawke, Kasubandi, O'Ware, Fulton, McDaid, McLaughlin, McLean and Russell.

Craig Little too. Played in the cup against Motherwell. It didn't go well.