Ton V Raith Rovers - Page 6 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Ton V Raith Rovers

Mr.Blue

Just back,would have been happy at the start of the game but now disappointed not to be sitting top of the league tonight....better team for most of the match.Stonewaller in the second waved away by that fud richmond.

Was just about to say pretty much the same. Thought the first half was fairly even, apart from a 10 minute spell from just before Raith scored until our goal which they dominated.

Seemed to be several breakdowns in communication between the defence and Colin Stewart during the first half with the defence seemingly losing confidence in him - although this was rectified during the second half where our defence generally looked comfortable.

We were the better team for most of the second half with the best chance falling to McDonald which he put just wide when he would have been better squaring it to Jackson. I still can't believe the penalty wasn't given - the defender almost had O'Brien's shirt off.

Good draw and performance against a team which finished high up the league and at a ground where we've tended to struggle over the past couple of seasons but I'm slightly disappointed we didn't get the three points the performance merited.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Was just about to say pretty much the same. Thought the first half was fairly even, apart from a 10 minute spell from just before Raith scored until our goal which they dominated.

Seemed to be several breakdowns in communication between the defence and Colin Stewart during the first half with the defence seemingly losing confidence in him - although this was rectified during the second half where our defence generally looked comfortable.

We were the better team for most of the second half with the best chance falling to McDonald which he put just wide when he would have been better squaring it to Jackson. I still can't believe the penalty wasn't given - the defender almost had O'Brien's shirt off.

Good draw and performance against a team which finished high up the league and at a ground where we've tended to struggle over the past couple of seasons but I'm slightly disappointed we didn't get the three points the performance merited.

Would agree with all that except the highlighted part. I actually thought that Raith were much more organised than us in the first half and we seemed to lack any sort of urgency.

Better team by far in the second half, if only had we taken our chances, especially the one that McDonald should've squared to Jackson.

Would have taken a point before the game, but feel that the second half performance merited all 3.

Looking forward to Dundee next week.

A lot of points.

* As I've said in another thread, defence takes the primary blame for the Raith goal. Stewart should have been off of his line and it almost cost a goal earlier in the game as well. This is becoming more than just a minor worry now. This either has to be rectified or we are going to lose points solely down to him.

* The boy McCann was much better this time out. He was found wandering on a couple of occaisions but I thought he put in a good shift today. Delivery of the ball is woeful though.

* Michael Tidser really put his weight about today in the absence of Bachirou which was nice to see and it was one of his better performances.

* David O'Brien has shown me yet again that he is Finlayson v2.0. He'll have the odd good game, but all he ever really does most of the time is run into trouble and get dispossessed.

* Di Giacamo continues to surprise the hell out of me. Had a good game today, almost scored a screamer, got our goal and made some good passes and some good runs.

: )

I wasn't there today but I'd say O'Brien was the complete opposite of Kevin Finlayson. Kevin Finlayson was always involved, never quiet, and had no end product. David O'Brien is more often than not barely involved, more often than not very quiet, but on the odd occasions he does get involved he has an end product.

Obviously stats can be twisted to suit arguments and sometimes don't mean an awful lot, but you only have to look at the number of goals/assists O'Brien has in his short time with us and compare them to Kevin Finlayson's in his entire career to see that even making similarities between the two is completely nonsensical.

TTG JIM!!!

We should have won but look to the ****ing idiot Richmond more than the team for that. 2 penalty claims turned down, a couple of Raith fans think the first was a pen and the 2nd was a complete stonewaller. Unbelievable.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

We should have won but look to the ****ing idiot Richmond more than the team for that. 2 penalty claims turned down, a couple of Raith fans think the first was a pen and the 2nd was a complete stonewaller. Unbelievable.
I felt a bit weird about claiming the first one because of how far away I was, but it looked it. The second one WAS a stonewaller though. Unreal. I'm not one to go mental for refereeing against Morton but Richmond really had me riled on more than one occaision.

I wasn't there today but I'd say O'Brien was the complete opposite of Kevin Finlayson. Kevin Finlayson was always involved, never quiet, and had no end product. David O'Brien is more often than not barely involved, more often than not very quiet, but on the odd occasions he does get involved he has an end product.

On the contrary, he was all over the place with the ball today and not doing much with it. Of course, we should have had a penalty when he was dragged down so all being fair, he should have played a major part in our winner, had we scored it of course.

: )

Not overly gutted as Raith aren't a poor side, but like a lot of folk I think we should have won. First of all, the defence was anonymous when it came to their goal and Stewart was glued to the line which just giftwrapped it for Thomson and Reynolds. Second of all, how Richmond and his useless assistant have waved play on for both those incidents where we should have been given penalties is beyond me! :blink:

DiGiacomo played very well, Tidser had a good afternoon and McCann put in a far better performance than last Saturday. And going up to Dens next week - hopefully on the back of a win over the Midden :) - we are capable of taking the three points, Livi absolutely horsed them today.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

how did archie campbell perform when he come on?

I thought he did well - good running, good positional sense but needs to develop his shooting ability. I seem to remeber he had a clear view of goal but chose to lay it off...he also won a couple of headers against bigger defenders - for a wee guy he can certainly jump! Didn't really notice that before...

A press release confirming this will be released shortly...

As me and GG decided, in the first half Raith played like Morton and Morton played like Raith. In the second half Raith reverted to type and we should have taken advantage of it.

Also Kudos to the guy in front of us who spent the first half of the first half defending Colin Stewart to the hilt, and by half time was saying he was absolutely pish. :lol:

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I thought he did well - good running, good positional sense but needs to develop his shooting ability. I seem to remeber he had a clear view of goal but chose to lay it off...he also won a couple of headers against bigger defenders - for a wee guy he can certainly jump! Didn't really notice that before...

He should continue to lay it off, if his shooting ability at half time was anything to go by!! :P

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

As me and GG decided, in the first half Raith played like Morton and Morton played like Raith. In the second half Raith reverted to type and we should have taken advantage of it.

Also Kudos to the guy in front of us who spent the first half of the first half defending Colin Stewart to the hilt, and by half time was saying he was absolutely pish. :lol:

Yep that is going to help Stewart's confidence if he comes on here and reads that.

B)-->

QUOTE(big B @ Aug 21 2011, 05:48 AM) 825667[/snapback]
Yep that is going to help Stewart's confidence if he comes on here and reads that.

If his confidence is dented by what he may read on here we would be well shot of such a sensitive soul.

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Don't reckon Stewart had much chance with the goal - defence just stood and watched Raith go by them, and Stewart made a pretty brave save - shame no-one was following up to get the rebound.

Surprised there's no mention of Forsyth - I reckon he's our one weak signing of the season, how we preferred him to McKinaly I really don't know - passing was woeful today, almost always too light and straight to a Raith player. Evans, however, looked a real find - on balance, with McCaffrey back I'd prefer Evans at RB to McCann.

Evans, however, looked a real find - on balance, with McCaffrey back I'd prefer Evans at RB to McCann.

Would still definitely sign McCann if there's money available, as he can cover for pretty much anywhere in defence and midfield.

Started horribly and Raith could have been out of sight.

However came back into it. Our goal was pretty much from nothing, just fell nicely for Di Gac and he hit a sweet volley.

After that we were much better and dominated much of the game.

Had plenty of chances in the 2nd half to win it. Raith had a decent finish, and although neither team was exactly rolling the dice near the end both sides got the ball into the box in the final few minutes.

Good solid performance from most players. Felt Stewart was at fault and doesn't back himself to come out as a sweeper, drifts back onto his line as our defence gets pushed back. His error was shown up by Raith getting into the same position a few seconds before they scored. Defence were fairly static and trying to play a high line, badly.

Tidser was solid again. Forward play was lacking a bit and not much stuck for MacDonald and Jackson... these guys really didn't get into the game barring a few chances in the 2nd half (some gifted to them by Raith). McGeoch looked quiet and think the other midfeild spot is a bit of a problem position... Fred, McGeoch etc... not going to help our midfield dominate many games.

Di Gac was decent, however not convinced by O'Brien. Would like to see Fitzharris back as it's another option on the wings... albeit O'Brien is the only naturally left sided player (arguably why Moore signed him in the 1st division, as imo he's not quite a 1st division player).

Archived