What The Fck Was That? - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

What The Fck Was That?

We deserved a draw tonight. Early goal against the run of play, a ref who bottled a very easy decision to send the player off when Witteveen was denied a "clear goalscoring opportunity" by "the last man" (so no matter what your interpretation of the rules, the defender should have walked) and a late sucker punch were our undoing.

I actually didn't think that we played too badly against the league leaders tonight. We were by far the better side in the first half with Tidser, Monti and Witteveen particularly lively. Stewart's kicking was not as good as normal tonight and MacFarlane just wasn't quick enough to play as part of a 2 man midfield up against 3 opposition centre midfielders.

We have got a tough run-in coming up, but I think that we are playing well enough to beat the drop, but the results must improve.

We didnt deserve anything Pat, they carved out 4 chances and took 2 of them. We created nothing. Even against 10 men we would have still had to score twice!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for that Colkitto. When I'm not at the match I always watch for your summing up as I always believe it to be fair and balanced.

Yup, me too. Always a good match report from Colkitto.

TonInDublin

Two Uniteds but the soul is one, as the Busby Babes carry on.

Early goal against the run of play, a ref who bottled a very easy decision to send the player off when Witteveen was denied a "clear goalscoring opportunity" by "the last man" (so no matter what your interpretation of the rules, the defender should have walked) and a late sucker punch were our undoing.

Aaaaaarggggghhhhh !

Once more, to clarify - there is NOTHING in any rule book about being last man.

The rule which the ref appears to have fúcked up is very simple. Did the player deny an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity. If yes, then red card. Simple.

No "last man", no "someone else was going to get back", no "he was going away from goal", no "he was too far out".

A simple rule. Did he deny an OBVIOUS goalscoing opportunity. Yes = RED, no = no foul OR a foul and no further punishment OR a foul and a yellow card - depending on the circumstances.

OK, now breathe again !

BTW, sounds like a model red card.

TonInDublin

Aaaaaarggggghhhhh !

The rule which the ref appears to have fúcked up is very simple. Did the player deny an OBVIOUS goalscoring opportunity. If yes, then red card. Simple.

No "last man", no "someone else was going to get back", no "he was going away from goal", no "he was too far out".

A simple rule. Did he deny an OBVIOUS goalscoing opportunity. Yes = RED, no = no foul OR a foul and no further punishment OR a foul and a yellow card - depending on the circumstances.

OK, now breathe again !

TonInDublin

Listen to you, anyone would think you were a referee or something :P

pen.jpg

Same as Saturday - really good in the first half and utterly awful in the second.

ICT look nothing like a title winning side - big lumps up the park, loads of time-wasting and a fair amount of cynical fouls. Having said that they had four shots, all of which were worthy of note - in, off the bar, cleared off the line and in. Our many first half shots produced one save of note and the rest were down the keepers' throat. I suppose being able to grind out points whilst being total gash is the sign of a team at the top.

I am baffled as to why at least one of their players was not red-carded.

That sounds like many a title winning side actually...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

We didnt deserve anything Pat, they carved out 4 chances and took 2 of them. We created nothing. Even against 10 men we would have still had to score twice!

Read my signature. We had several chances as well, particularly in the 1st half. I thought on the balance of play our performance merited a draw.

Aaaaaarggggghhhhh !

OK, now breathe again !

TonInDublin

Re-read my initial post. I know that the laws of the game refer to "a clear goalscoring opportunity" (which this certainly was) but with some punters still using the whole "he was the last man" argument, he was also that! Anyway, it was a very easy decision (and correct) to send the player off and the referee did not do it. I suppose when you are at the wrong end of the table you simply don't get these decisions, unless you are Airdrie.

� The Fire Breathing Morton Guy - I'm not Pat!

Colkitto and Rex Manning were spot on

We played well the first half with the exception of Stewart who had a nightmare the whole game.

and we were well humped in the second half,

can't understand why our players seem so unfit, they are full timers and should be well capable of playing two games a week.

Foobs :ph34r:

Colkitto and Rex Manning were spot on

We played well the first half with the exception of Stewart who had a nightmare the whole game.

and we were well humped in the second half,

can't understand why our players seem so unfit, they are full timers and should be well capable of playing two games a week.

Foobs :ph34r:

Aaaaaarggggghhhhh !

OK, now breathe again !

TonInDublin

Can you explain to me then why a player can be red carded for a foul in the box denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, when the opposing team are then awarded a penalty which is A CLEAR GOALSCORING OPPORTUNITY. The offending player has surely given (rather than denied) the opposing team a clear goalscoring opportunity by conceding a penalty!

Can you explain to me then why a player can be red carded for a foul in the box denying a clear goalscoring opportunity, when the opposing team are then awarded a penalty which is A CLEAR GOALSCORING OPPORTUNITY. The offending player has surely given (rather than denied) the opposing team a clear goalscoring opportunity by conceding a penalty!

It just is...

That sounds like many a title winning side actually...

True.

It's also us under Irons, but we didn't win the title.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

How come we're playing so well in the first half of games lately the fading in the second? Could it be any of the following reasons:

1/ Lack of proper training schedule to allow players to maintain levels of physical fitness and mental focus over 95 minutes.

2/ Lack of direction from Management during half-time Team Talk (or no half-time Team Talk).

3/ Tactical Plan to attack and get an early goal to unsettle the opposition, with no plan B if it doesn't work.

4/ Not using the squad properly to have impact players coming off the bench.

5/ Lack of tactical awareness from / to the players.

No he hasn't - he denied one and committed two offences. He denied an obvious goal scoring opportunity and he fouled the attacker. Separate the two if it makes it easier.

Just one example for you .....

A player is clean in on goal and has a clear goal scoring opportunity one on one with the keeper and as he goes to shoot from inside the penalty area a defender lunges at him from behind. The player who was fouled HAD a clear goal scoring opportunity. he no longer does ! In that case the referee has no option but to award a red card and punish the offence. The punishment for a foul in the box is a penalty. So the punishment for denying the goal scoring opportunity is a sending off. The punishment for the offence of the foul on him is a penalty kick.

Now if that same set of circumstances happen just outside the box, then the sanction for the first offence is the same (red card), but the sanction for the foul changes because of where it happened, an dit becomes a direct free kick.

At no point does the sanction for deliberately denying an obvious goal scoring chance change.

IF, in the opinion of the referee, the attacker has a clear advantage he may play on, and he doesn't need to penalise the foul, but he still has to address the initial, more serious offence either way.

TonInDublin

Not looking for a whoosh - just thought it was a fairly callous thing to type.

Hope he doesn't see it.

I would guess that if he did read it then he'd read it as I did - Gary hopes he was only left out due to an injury we were unaware of rather than a management decision, as he would like to see Masterton start.

To say it was a callous thing to type is a bit OTT when it's fairly obvious what he meant when you read it in the context of his post.

ryu-blackhadou.gif

jSuper_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo.png

An internet fud is still a fud.

Carlo Monti as usual disappered from the game after a bright half an hour or so, hope he's getting paid a third of the wages too. Too lightweight and ineffective, like a slow but more technical Kevin Finlayson.

Between Monti and Reid our left hand side is going to the dogs, it's about time Grady bit the ****ing bullet and played a diamond midfield 4. We have 1654 central midfielders and two (ineffective) wide midfielders - it is the only option left in the wake of the last week's injuries.

We're dreadfully reliant on Witteveen to be at the forefront of our attacking play, without that threat we look stuffed at this level.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Finlayson being awful is a given surely, i cheered when he was taken off..

Well aren't you the big man?? What good is that going to do for anyone?

Finlayson was actually ok last night - he closed down everything in ICT's half and hit about half a dozen decent crosses during the game. In fact when he came off that side of the park was a shambles.

He gets a bit of a raw deal and it really needs to stop as it wont help him or any of the other player's morale. Its actually at the stage where he could have a great game and make one mistake and get abused and people saying he was rubbbish now just because they dont like him :(

How come we're playing so well in the first half of games lately the fading in the second? Could it be any of the following reasons:

1/ Lack of proper training schedule to allow players to maintain levels of physical fitness and mental focus over 95 minutes.

2/ Lack of direction from Management during half-time Team Talk (or no half-time Team Talk).

3/ Tactical Plan to attack and get an early goal to unsettle the opposition, with no plan B if it doesn't work.

4/ Not using the squad properly to have impact players coming off the bench.

5/ Lack of tactical awareness from / to the players.

Can't comment on 2 and 3. For No 1, I'm not convinced longer training automatically results in better fitness - it might but it might not. And we just don't have the depth of squad for playing two games a week. We don't have any impact players to come off the bench - they're already on the field!

Carlo Monti as usual disappered from the game after a bright half an hour or so, hope he's getting paid a third of the wages too. Too lightweight and ineffective, like a slow but more technical Kevin Finlayson.

Between Monti and Reid our left hand side is going to the dogs, it's about time Grady bit the ****ing bullet and played a diamond midfield 4. We have 1654 central midfielders and two (ineffective) wide midfielders - it is the only option left in the wake of the last week's injuries.

We're dreadfully reliant on Witteveen to be at the forefront of our attacking play, without that threat we look stuffed at this level.

Started brightly and linked well with Tidser and Witenveen but the whole thing fell flat when we needed to lift the tempo. We became statuesque in the 2nd.

The big guy Witenveen looks a level beyond what we have, I very much doubt he'll be staying beyond his loan spell.

I thought we were unlucky. Up against the top team in the league and in the first half especially we produced some of our best passing football of the season which is what the fans have been wanting to see more of. It didn't come off in the final third which is the most important part, yes, but I felt we were a bit hard done by to go in behind at half time. One shot on target from ICT; one goal. I really felt that Stewart should have kept the header out though, straight at him and two hands on the ball. He had a nightmare from start to finish really.

Second half was less impressive from Morton from Caley were happy enough to sit in and thump a few long balls up on the counter, and that's how the second goal came about (coupled with some comedy defending).

That's why they're at the top of the league though, they have excellent forwards scoring lots of goals this year and the 2nd in particular was a fine finish.

Can't complain about the result but the performance was heartening.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Archived