Abe (anyone But England) World Cup T-shirts - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Abe (anyone But England) World Cup T-shirts

Flyerton

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, that's not the Scottish cringe. The Scottish cringe is people wearing T-shirts saying "Uniquely amongst the nations of the world, we're not able to run our own country". The Scottish cringe is when people try to argue that if you don't support your oldest sporting rivals you are in some way racist or some other ist - do you support the Midden if they get further than us in the cup?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

No, that's not the Scottish cringe.

The Scottish cringe is people wearing T-shirts saying "Uniquely amongst the nations of the world, we're not able to run our own country".

The Scottish cringe is when people try to argue that if you don't support your oldest sporting rivals you are in some way racist or some other ist - do you support the Midden if they get further than us in the cup?

And they are imported as job lots from the United States ?

:blink:

Guest David Edwards
No, that's not the Scottish cringe. The Scottish cringe is people wearing T-shirts saying "Uniquely amongst the nations of the world, we're not able to run our own country". The Scottish cringe is when people try to argue that if you don't support your oldest sporting rivals you are in some way racist or some other ist - do you support the Midden if they get further than us in the cup?

Sadly, England hasn't been our rival for years. They, like St Mirren compared to Morton, are a league above us. Scotland's closest rival now is probably Wales. What was the score the last time we played? Oh bugger. :D

Sadly, England hasn't been our rival for years. They, like St Mirren compared to Morton, are a league above us. Scotland's closest rival now is probably Wales. What was the score the last two times time we played? Oh bugger. :D

Fixed it for you.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Englishman John Midgeley, founder of the Campaign Against Political Correctness, added: "If the police want to waste their time investigating this, it beggars belief."

Grampian Police yesterday confirmed an officer had visited the shop, but insisted a complaint about racism was not made. No further action was taken. A Scottish Government spokesman said: "It's important to recognise people could take offence."

That wouldn't surprise me, i wonder what party the spokesman is from agreeing with whoever the complainer is compared to the person in the previous statement. <_>

"People could take offence"? Well, I could take offence at being lectured about whom I should support, or whom I should not support. I'll make up my own mind, thank you very much.

I take offence at posters telling me to vote Labour or vote Tory. Maybe I should complain to the polis.

C'mon Algeria!

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

There was a complaint of racism, the cop showed up and decided there was nothing in it. I don't think castigating the police for investigating a call-out is really the correct course of action here.

You talking to me Nachoticket? I wasn't castigating anyone, merely asking a fairly straightforward question.

ryu-blackhadou.gif

jSuper_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo.png

An internet fud is still a fud.

There was a complaint of racism, the cop showed up and decided there was nothing in it. I don't think castigating the police for investigating a call-out is really the correct course of action here.

I read it on the beeb site that said there was no complain, just a copper saw it and mentioned to the shop it may cause a problem.

Or as many others would read it...PC gone mad!

A pun that wasn't even intended!

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

You talking to me Nachoticket? I wasn't castigating anyone, merely asking a fairly straightforward question.

It was a general comment based on the headline of the Sun story, it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

I read it on the beeb site that said there was no complain, just a copper saw it and mentioned to the shop it may cause a problem.

Or as many others would read it...PC gone mad!

A pun that wasn't even intended!

The guy quoted in the story said the guy was following up a complaint, but I suppose it would be not too surprising if the officer had said it to save face.

EOho8Pw.png

Another typical Scots cringe. Anyone wearing one of these t-shirts should feel nothing but embarrassment.

Bellend

200px-Trollface.png

We are a MEAN diddy team!!!

SITTING ON THE FENCE!!!

make your own mind up.

"Hey!!! That tea leaf half-inched me wallet"

Yours Roobs, AKA, Harry's Orville Duck

Another typical Scots cringe. Anyone wearing one of these t-shirts should feel nothing but embarrassment.

Quite agree, embarrassing in the extreme.

Isn't it possible to be a Scotland fan without hating England?

The most embarrassing thing about it though is that this isn't the first instance of things like this- Trinidad and Tobago shirts flying out of shops 4 years ago (aye, it was just because they had a guy called Scotland playing for them, we believe you :rolleyes: ) and Scotland's assistant manager getting abused by our own fans because he had the temerity to admit to holding a grudge against a coke snorting cheat who robbed him of the opportunity of a lifetime on the same night that said cheat was lauded for what he did.

I'll not pretend for a second that I want England to win the World Cup but ffs, this little brother syndrome does Scotland a horrible disservice.

The guy quoted in the story said the guy was following up a complaint, but I suppose it would be not too surprising if the officer had said it to save face.

BBC site;

A spokesman for Grampian Police said the force's visit to the Slanj store was not in response to any public complaint about the shirt slogan and was prompted by an officer acting on his own initiative.

In a statement, the force said it was purely an "advisory visit" and there was no criminal investigation as a result.

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

Quite agree, embarrassing in the extreme.

Isn't it possible to be a Scotland fan without hating England?

The most embarrassing thing about it though is that this isn't the first instance of things like this- Trinidad and Tobago shirts flying out of shops 4 years ago (aye, it was just because they had a guy called Scotland playing for them, we believe you :rolleyes: ) and Scotland's assistant manager getting abused by our own fans because he had the temerity to admit to holding a grudge against a coke snorting cheat who robbed him of the opportunity of a lifetime on the same night that said cheat was lauded for what he did.

I'll not pretend for a second that I want England to win the World Cup but ffs, this little brother syndrome does Scotland a horrible disservice.

It's not about hating anyone. It's about resenting being told that we should be supporting them just because they happen to occupy a significant part of adjoining land to us. Do Norwegians support Sweden just because they are near neighbours? I doubt it. Doesn't mean they hate them.

Archived