Cristiano Ronaldo's (latest) Red Card - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Cristiano Ronaldo's (latest) Red Card

Did anyone watch the Real Madrid v Malaga game on Sunday? If so, you'd presumably have witnessed Ronaldo's latest act of idiocy when he elbowed Malaga's Patrick Mtiliga resulting in a broken nose and a red card for Ronaldo. Nothing controversial there, you would think, an action worthy of a red card and the subsequent two-match ban.

But oh, no, not for a Real Madrid player...or at least not this one. According to Jorge Valdano and his puppets in the Madrid press, Ronaldo should basically be allowed to do what he wants because he's an exciting player and Mtiliga isn't, and besides, Mtiliga shouldn't have been small enough to have had his nose in line with poor old Cristiano's elbow smash. Hrm. Not only that, but Messi allegedly done the same thing a few weeks ago (well, he didn't really, but hey, why let that get in the way?), and got away with it because he's smaller than Ronaldo and didn't actually elbow anyone. Confused? Me too.

All this though, of course, is absolutely nothing to do with the fact that Madrid are now not only without Gonzalo Higuain (imo their most crucial player), but Ronaldo too for their visit to Deportivo on Saturday, a ground where they haven't won for 17 years. With only around €100m of newly signed talent in the form of Benzema and Kaka available, plus Raul, van der Vaart and the like, the absence of these two is obviously a knockout blow.

Coincidence? Not at all (aye, right), but it just so happens Madrid will appeal the suspension - and ask for it to be delayed, funnily enough) - apparently on the grounds that Messi done it, so Ronaldo should be allowed to too, which is an interesting little bit of logic. The man himself is quoted as saying: "I wasn't impressed (about the suspension), of course...I sincerely believe the punishment is excessive and am confident in the appeal the club is going to lodge and that the punishment will be reduced." An equally bemusing notion, given that only a couple of games ago he was sent off for lashing out at an Almeria player.

Now, I've never had much time for Ronaldo due to the fact that I see him as a cheating, posturising, spolit wee brat, but I find myself disliking him more and more every time I watch him play. The guy's an absolute tube, and whilst Madrid do have a habit of rather strange whinings, it's all a little bit embarassing for a club that fancies itself as the greatest in the world.

I don't suppose anyone on here actually thinks "CR9" is at all innocent...?

AWMSC

I just watched the footage on youtube there. Looks like he was trying to push Mtiliga away rather than elbow him. He broke his nose?! Didn't look like much contact was made. In saying that though, the red card should stand and he should serve his 2 match ban even if the decision was rather harsh IMO.

KennedyDog.gif

He's trying to shrug him off at first, but when he does actually elbow him he clearly means it. Clear red, and Real Madrid making utter ****s of themselves yet again.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

I just watched the footage on youtube there. Looks like he was trying to push Mtiliga away rather than elbow him. He broke his nose?! Didn't look like much contact was made. In saying that though, the red card should stand and he should serve his 2 match ban even if the decision was rather harsh IMO.

It was his second effort that made contact.

Looked like a red card to me.

It was his second effort that made contact.

Looked like a red card to me.

Indeed it was, Ronaldo was well away from Mtiliga, the ref had waved the advantage, yet "CR9" (9 being his probable position in the best in the world list...) choose to swing an elbow. Any defence of him is just bizzare, imo, and not even because of my loyalties as far as Spanish football goes.

AWMSC

Archived