Minimum Speed Limit - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Minimum Speed Limit

Ashman

Does anybody else think there should be a minimum speed that people have to drive at? Ive been doing a lot of driving recently on A roads where the speed limit is 60mph, and before long i always end up stuck behind some **** driving at 30-35mph. Before you know it there is 10 cars behind you and everyone ends up tailgating in rage! I dont understand why the guy at the front doesnt pull over and let all the cars behind go by? Especially as roads in the Oban/Argyll area dont have many chances to overtake!

So should there be a minimum speed you have to drive at, for example 50mph?

Ive seen similar rules in America so should we start to use them here?

FTOF

Does anybody else think there should be a minimum speed that people have to drive at? Ive been doing a lot of driving recently on A roads where the speed limit is 60mph, and before long i always end up stuck behind some **** driving at 30-35mph. Before you know it there is 10 cars behind you and everyone ends up tailgating in rage! I dont understand why the guy at the front doesnt pull over and let all the cars behind go by? Especially as roads in the Oban/Argyll area dont have many chances to overtake!

Yes, I do. I don't know about your laws, but in my country driving more than 10-20 MPH under the speed limit (depending on what state you're in) is considered "impeding the flow of traffic." In Germany, a vehicle driving that slow is required to pull over and let others pass.

"Throw me to the wolves, and I'll return leading the pack." ---Unknown

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

Just chill man, chill!

:rolleyes:

"It is well enough that people of the nation do not understand

our banking and monetary system, for if they did,

I believe there would be a revolution before tomorrow morning."

Henry Ford

What you should do is leave a bit earlier to factor in these 'delays'. What it sounds like is impatience with other road users, just because its a '60mph' road doesn't mean that you have to drive at a constant 60mph, its a maximum limit not a set speed. It also helps if you have a decent set of balls to overtake these 'slow' vehicles or the driving skills to master overtaking on single carriageway roads. :P

Just chill man, chill!

:rolleyes:

I try to chill and stay calm, but eventually the frustration gets to me and I end up late. I often find truckers to be considerate and usually pull over or let you know when its safe to overtake but I just cant stand selfish car drivers who must surely see they are holding up traffic with their low speeds!

FTOF

It's selfish and anti-social. If someone wants to drive faster than you, move over and let them.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Section 169 - Highway Code

Do not hold up a long queue of traffic, especially if you are driving a large or slow-moving vehicle. Check your mirrors frequently, and if necessary, pull in where it is safe and let traffic pass.

There used to be a charge of 'failing to make due progress'. I'm not sure if that still applies.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

I don't think there should be a minimum speed limit except in exceptional circumstances. However the offence of holding up traffic should be enforced. I hate being stuck behind drivers doing 30mph on rural roads where it's perfectly safe to do 60, invariably failing to keep to the left far enough and moving out to block you if you try to overtake. People who are unable to maintain a reasonable speed (and that doesn't mean they have to drive at the speed limit) might be better using public transport.

I do think however that a 50mph limit for drivers under the age of 21 would be a very good idea.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I've never understood why it isn't the law for all car manufacturers to limit the speed their cars go to say 70mph. If there is a speed limit then why can some road cars go upto the likes of 200mph etc? At what point is it ever legal to drive that fast?

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I've never understood why it isn't the law for all car manufacturers to limit the speed their cars go to say 70mph. If there is a speed limit then why can some road cars go upto the likes of 200mph etc? At what point is it ever legal to drive that fast?

It is in Germany......

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." ---General George S. Patton, Jr.

I know the feeling man. The amount of the folk that turn up to Bute during summer and drive around the place like total idiots is mind blowing.

I honestly think country driving should be mandatory in driving tests (especially in Scotland) cause there's too many folk that just don't have a clue.

Rothesay Ton

whilst we are on the subject

old people... do you think they should have to re-sit their test?

some of them are just a danger to the road IMO... especially the ones who cannot see anymore

I think that the elderly should "re-sit" their test annually. I also think they should have to have their reaction and eyes tested annually. Our reaction times diminish as we get older, so there must come a time when driving by the elderly should end (I don't belive in a set time or age---it should be on a case-by-case basis).

I know I'll hate it when I can't drive anymore. I love to get into the car and drive...believe it or not, it relaxes me.

I think that the elderly should "re-sit" their test annually. I also think they should have to have their reaction and eyes tested annually. Our reaction times diminish as we get older, so there must come a time when driving by the elderly should end (I don't belive in a set time or age---it should be on a case-by-case basis).

I know I'll hate it when I can't drive anymore. I love to get into the car and drive...believe it or not, it relaxes me.

hey yank !.. boycot scotland... now your a 'real patriot'.. get with the programme ! ;)

There are some questions that are too important, some truths too powerful, some messages too liberating, that they can never be heard for fear they might actually provide you with the freedom you desire and that 'they' then lose the dependence you have on them and for which they are rewarded. They lose the hold they have over you which keeps you spellbound and feeds their ego, their hunger for power and their raison d'etre.

- Think for Yourself, Ask Your own questions, Do Your own research! ...... Set Yourselves Free!

The most dangerous drivers on the road are younger drivers. Fact. You think you're great but once you get a bit of experience you become a far better and safer driver, and you learn when it's safe to exceed the limit and when you need to drive at well below the limit. I agree that drivers who are physically incapable shouldn't drive, but you can't generalise as many people even into their 90s are fit and well whereas many people in their 20s have poor eyesight and poor reactions. The trick is to know your limits and drive within them.

PS I would also suggest banning USA citizens from driving at all, as they are pretty incompetent. That's why they have such wide roads and loads of airbags...

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

hey yank !.. boycot scotland... now your a 'real patriot'.. get with the programme ! ;)

Why would I want to boycot Scotland?

PS I would also suggest banning USA citizens from driving at all, as they are pretty incompetent. That's why they have such wide roads and loads of airbags...

Actually, I'm a pretty good driver. Seriously. A little impatient at times, but a good driver. (*KNOCK ON WOOD*)

We have wide roads because we have the room to do so....... ;) As for the airbags, what can you do....? :lol:

If you own your own private road then you can do whatever speed you like on it.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 3 weeks later...

I sat behind an old bugger the other day, not only did he do 40 the whole way between Largs and Skermorlie, he was all over the road, a real danger "by the way", and then, when we got to Skermorlie he kept on at 40! That kind of thing rips my knitting.

Phil.

The future's bright...

I sat behind an old bugger the other day, not only did he do 40 the whole way between Largs and Skermorlie, he was all over the road, a real danger "by the way", and then, when we got to Skermorlie he kept on at 40! That kind of thing rips my knitting.

Phil.

The future's bright...

Hate thoes people on that road its those people who actually have to put foot on the accelerator to drive in the 30 mph areas.

user posted image

Archived