Match Report - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Match Report

BishopTon

Injury time farce aside, the booking for McGuffie's sarcastic clap the sums the referee up.

He let at least 2 really bad challenges go which could have hurt players, then books a guy for giving him a petted lip.

Truly pathetic.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes Stewart saved us a few times, but the bottom dollar is that if a keeper does not command his box then the opposition will have chances. Stewart has to take a bit of blame for their goal, he flapped like a budgie for christ sakes!!

McGuffie is simply not doing what he was signed for, I've lost patience, get him replaced.

I thought Stewart was slightly pushed to be fair, there was also a stron breeze, so if he had not missed it the ref would have just given them a penalty for a foul that happened in the first half, which he just pulled back for no advantage (you had to be at the game, the ref was making up the rules at one point !)

some refs mite have gave the foul on stewart but given we were up against it all game that didnt help the cause, even if it would have been soft. i felt partalu had a poor game and was a bit slow to pressure the ball and some very poor passes. i know every1 has got on mcguffies back and i will prob get pelters for this but i think he had a better game than big eric and his abuse from several around me was unjust. passed it well and tried to support, didnt see much too wrong

If you think that you don't know a lot about football. McGuffie and Paartalu were the difference today. McGuffie was box to box and maybe you did notice his clearing header near the end to save what would almost certainly have been a goal. He made mistakes sure, but that was because he was so involved in the game - you can't get everything right.

You need to open your eyes and look at the unsung work that guy does. Fortunately, the manager recognises what he brings and you don't pick the team!

Thought Walker,Paartalu and Wake were the best players for us today. I'm fed up with hearing this 'if you don't like McGuffie you don't know anything about football' nonsense. McGuffie doesn't look like a player for us,he doesn't seem comfortable at all with the ball. Not good enough and hopefully out the team sooner rather than later.

FINAL ETERNITY AROUSES REACTIONS

FREEING EXCELLANCE AFFECTS REALITY

FALLEN EMPIRES ARE RULING

FIND EARTH AND REAP

To be fair to McGuffie he came onto a bit of a game in the 2nd half and made a couple of really good defensive interventions and tracked back well but the first half he was really poor. Would like to see Masterton in ahead of him but not sure Masterton would have been able to do the defensive side of things to the same extent.

As posted on P&B.

I thought i would sleep on it before posting my thoughts on the game.

Chris Boyle had a simply dreadful game, after the Wake sending off many Clyde fans on P&B appear to think we threw the rattle out of the pram.. Maybe we did but so did Boyle as well as spitting his dummy. his performance reminded me of a game we had at Dumbarton a few years back when we finished with 9 men due to an over officious inept referee.

I thought the decision to send Wake off was a bit harsh, both players had raised their legs as they went for the ball, however maybe it would be acceptable that it was a second booking if Boyle had been more consistent throughout the game, he let a few heavy challenges go throughout the game (Challenges im sure "Bomber Brown would have been proud of! ;) .)

the 2 reports i heard from the game (one from bbc scotland) both stated that the referee signalled 3 mins of added time and yet allowed six. both reporters were mystified..

Boyle and the linesman from the morton end continually ignored Clydes baldy number number nines persistant elbows and twice followed through after a tackle.

Maybe we Morton fans do have a "chip" on our shoulder but ever since "Templemangate" at NDP we have had nothing but grief from referees and all those bad decisions that allegedly "Even themselves out" over a season are not evening out for us.

The game itself wasnt that great.. i thought we were solid in the first half altho had slight trouble with the ball being played through at pace with Clydes McLaren looking a dangerous player. thought we were going in 0-0 till Newbys strike after hutton failed to hold a fairly straighforward shot.

in the second half we were much better shifting the ball to the flanks and more importantly keeping it on the deck.

Iain Russell hitting the post and bar was bad enough but to miss that one on one with the goalkeeper was almost criminal. i cant believe he couldnt even get it on target! theres no doubting his endeavour and workrate as well as his attitude, but sadly until we get a real class striker then we are gonna end up with more games that could have been won ending in draws or even worse defeats.

Clydes equaliser was bad goalkeeping from Stewart after he had a decent game , sadly this undid all the good he had done and cost us 2 points.

Overall i would say we are just about the same as last season and it will be a "mini league" between us Airdrie, Clyde and Ross county to finish 7th and 8th and avoid the relegation drop zone.

Think we have some positives to take from the game but also the alarm bells should be ringing regarding certain other things.

JB.

Power To The Powerless,

Strength Unto The Weak!

If you think that you don't know a lot about football. McGuffie and Paartalu were the difference today. McGuffie was box to box and maybe you did notice his clearing header near the end to save what would almost certainly have been a goal. He made mistakes sure, but that was because he was so involved in the game - you can't get everything right.

You need to open your eyes and look at the unsung work that guy does. Fortunately, the manager recognises what he brings and you don't pick the team!

For me the player who had a bad game by his own standards was Finlayson. The back three were solid and the front three bullied the Clyde defence all day. Its just a shame Russell could'nt bury one of his chances or alternatively that the same chances did'nt falll to Wake or Newby.

The goalkeeper might have done better at their goal but I would'nt blame it altogether on him. He was otherwise fine. In fact, if you were looking for a goallie who would'nt come off his line, I give you the Clyde keeper who nearly sold the jerseys on more than one occasion.

Really can’t make my mind up about McGuffie - he doesn’t help himself by playing every game like a training match (very few physical challenges but plenty of standing in front of the opposition,) however I do think he has a “football brain” and his interceptions tend to be from reading the play.

Often heard players/mangers talk about unsung heroes that fans don’t recognise (also known as a players player) perhaps he is one of those mythical creatures!

the 2 reports i heard from the game (one from bbc scotland) both stated that the referee signalled 3 mins of added time and yet allowed six. both reporters were mystified..

JB.

I agree with most of your post but the goal was scored just short of 4 minutes into injury time, maybe 3 minutes 45 seconds. Also, I didn't think that refs signalled the amount of injury time in the SFL? Of all the things to complain about the ref from yesterday the injury time is probably the least of them. At the time I was annoyed but 4 minutes was probably fair.

Thought Walker,Paartalu and Wake were the best players for us today. I'm fed up with hearing this 'if you don't like McGuffie you don't know anything about football' nonsense. McGuffie doesn't look like a player for us,he doesn't seem comfortable at all with the ball. Not good enough and hopefully out the team sooner rather than later.

Yep, the same was being said about McLaughlin at one point! Remember one guy telling us all (before we signed him on a permanent deal), that McLaughlin was a future Scotland cap.

The bottom line with McGuffie, as far as I'm concerned, is that Irons actually came out in public last season and criticised his contribution. There has not been a massive improvement since.

I don't think McGuffie's as poor as many are making out, but I do feel he could be doing quite a bit better.

Look at her riding pillions on Davy’s sea-bike, carrying an apoplectic macaw in a silver hoop. Oh, Morton, let’s go there this winter!  Or learning the Japanese chinchona from that Kobe group, in a dress that looks like a blowtorch rising from one knee, and which should sell big in Texas. Morton, is that real fire? Happy, happy little girl!

Granted the referee was dreadful, with Wake's sending off totally ridiculous.

But the fact is Colin Stewart's pathetic flap at a cross ball cost us the goal.

To be fair to him,it was the only ball he missed all game....but it did cost us the game :(

Mags.

Blessings....not just for the one's who kneel....luckily.

I personally thought that Mcguffie had a good game in the second half. First half aye, bit pish, but he improved so credit where it's due.

Can't really fault the team yesterday they were solid. Nothing too special, but no bomb scares like last season. Infact I'd go as far as saying the defence was the best area yesterday. Peter, Greacen and Walker worked well which was a surprise.

Looking ahead I can see this team struggle against some of the bigger clubs, but I feel we've improved on last season.

Oh and the ref was a w**k

Rothesay Ton

Only poor performance was from Paartalu, made too many mistakes, just had an off day

the defence looked solid and id happily start Walker every week after that performance

Paartalu was impressive in the second half.

Walker was solid enough, positioning possibly a bit questionable at times, but on the whole an above average display. Would probably rather see him on the left side of a back four, where aerial ability is (usually) less of an issue.

Unfortunately we might have to compromise tactics against St Johnstone unless Peter is moved up front to take Wake's role.

I'd just go with a 4-4-2 next week. Russell and Newby.

mini-DSC_1112.jpg

This picture says it all for me though. Look at Clyde's number 2 all over - a clear foul imo - and the number 16 crouching behind Stewart - if he takes a step backwards he's on his arse...

Looks like a foul to me. Incidentally, I thought their number 2 had an excellent game.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

I thought he was the worst player on the park. :wacko:

I can't remember him losing a single header! He was singled out and clattered by Partaalu for good reason. Someone else whacked him one too cos he was bullying us in the midfield. Good to see. :D

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Standman

3) Colin Stewart flapping at the corner. A really bad one to lose

:angry:

Tonosuarus

Stewart perhaps made a bad call for the goal

<_>

irvineTON

'flapped about like a budgie'!

:lol:

Mags

To be fair to him,it was the only ball he missed all game....but it did cost us the game :(

Mags.

:blush:

If anybody tells me this guy is an improvement on McGurn-he needs his heid looked. For a big man, his command of the box is NON-EXISTENT, and he flatly refuses to come off the line for anything.

Two good first half saves don't make up for inexplicable incompetence. WTF was he EVER signed? :ph34r:

That's what I said last week and I stand by it. I didn't make the match so I guess I can be quite dispassionate.

Almost five minutes into injury time in a game you've deserved to win and they get a corner-THE MAIN MAN is the goalie-he's GOT to produce the goods.

Simple really! :mellow:

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then they pretend to befriend you, then you win!

YER BARD

Standman

3) Colin Stewart flapping at the corner. A really bad one to lose

:angry:

Tonosuarus

Stewart perhaps made a bad call for the goal

<_>

irvineTON

'flapped about like a budgie'!

:lol:

Mags

Mags.

:blush:

If anybody tells me this guy is an improvement on McGurn-he needs his heid looked. For a big man, his command of the box is NON-EXISTENT, and he flatly refuses to come off the line for anything.

Two good first half saves don't make up for inexplicable incompetence. WTF was he EVER signed? :ph34r:

That's what I said last week and I stand by it. I didn't make the match so I guess I can be quite dispassionate.

Almost five minutes into injury time in a game you've deserved to win and they get a corner-THE MAIN MAN is the goalie-he's GOT to produce the goods.

Simple really! :mellow:

Welcome back Ernie . Just as as well it wasn't the ginga makem from Castle Greyskull the website would have gone into meltdown .

I think we'll see a return of the wee "get yir macaroon" guy this time selling prozac

Archived