In Rainbows - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

In Rainbows

Templesponston

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope it's better than their last album.

never mind their last one, i hope its better than their last three!

to be fair i thought hail to the thief was an improvement on kid a and amnesiac, but to be honest everything they have released post ok computer has been highly disappointing.

yes i know, it has been "experimental", but it has also been basically cr ap. the odd highlight interspersed between hours of pretentious, self indulgent noodling.

about 10 years ago, radiohead had the potential to be one of the best ever rock bands. they now look poised and ready to take up the mantle of rocks biggest wasters.

i really really hope that they will get their fingers out for this one, but the "download only, with limited release in shops costing £40" would suggest to me that they are continuing down the road of trying to alienate themselves from everyone and everything that made them popular in the first place.

wan kers

never mind their last one, i hope its better than their last three!

to be fair i thought hail to the thief was an improvement on kid a and amnesiac, but to be honest everything they have released post ok computer has been highly disappointing.

yes i know, it has been "experimental", but it has also been basically cr ap. the odd highlight interspersed between hours of pretentious, self indulgent noodling.

about 10 years ago, radiohead had the potential to be one of the best ever rock bands. they now look poised and ready to take up the mantle of rocks biggest wasters.

i really really hope that they will get their fingers out for this one, but the "download only, with limited release in shops costing £40" would suggest to me that they are continuing down the road of trying to alienate themselves from everyone and everything that made them popular in the first place.

wan kers

Nope, it's not been "basically cr ap".

And the rest? A poor post.

Writing about music is like dancing about architecture - Laurie Anderson

Yer Dong

Allan Moore, yer wife's a very nice woman,

we're gonna win the league for sure.

I actually enjoyed Kid A and Amnesiac, especially the former, but would still choose the Bends and OK computer over either.

The only Radiohead album I've been disappointed with is Hail to the Thief, and I've got a bad feeling In Rainbows will be even blander.

riverrun, past Eve and Adam’s, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

Oh definitely. KidA and Amnesiac just need a bit of work, bit of playtime. Great records. I liked Hail to the Thief too mind you.

With Radiohead, I just go into each new album with the thought that I'm dealing with a completely different band each time, a clear mind. I think that's what they do too. I remember an interview with Jonny Greenwood once where he said on OK Computer that Thom Yorke was trying to be a different singer on each track, and he's right. Listen to it.

Yer Dong

Oh definitely. KidA and Amnesiac just need a bit of work, bit of playtime. Great records. I liked Hail to the Thief too mind you.

With Radiohead, I just go into each new album with the thought that I'm dealing with a completely different band each time, a clear mind. I think that's what they do too. I remember an interview with Jonny Greenwood once where he said on OK Computer that Thom Yorke was trying to be a different singer on each track, and he's right. Listen to it.

I feel the same Donga

Radiohead are legends and each album is a masterpiece in its own right

people who compare albums bore me

just enjoy the music and keep an open mind... simple really

'Kid A' is terrific, but 'Amnesiac' bored the crap out of me, and when I go back and give it multiple chances, it doesn't get any better. 'Amnesiac' is the only album from Radiohead I don't like though.

With Radiohead, I just go into each new album with the thought that I'm dealing with a completely different band each time, a clear mind.

There's not TOO much of a difference with Kid A and Hail To The Thief. Infact, it's one of the few times with Radiohead where you can tell PURELY by the music that it's the same band.

: )

Guest ton_will_get_promoted

I disagree. Kid A flowed beautifully with each track blending into the next... HTTT was a group of songs put together and had no real flow to it.

The new ablum has been compared to OK Computer but "scarier" And the new songs have been heard live and are ace. There are a few songs on this album re-vamped from the ok computer sessions so should be amazing to hear them all recorded.

matter of opinion mate.

if you read my whole post i admit that they have done some pretty good stuff in the past 10 years, just nothing like what they were capable of.

basically, they made a blockbuster album, got huge, thought "oh sh1t, how are we gonna top this?", bricked it and disappeared up their own back sides.

don't think that i have "failed to understand" how good their more recent stuff has been. every new album they release, i have bought on release date with eager anticipation. with kid a and amnesiac, i have went from not being sure on 1st listen, persevering with them, growing to like them, listening to them a lot, then gradually listening to them not so much. looking back on those 2 albums after a few years, there are a handful of memorable songs on each, interspersed with lots of self indulgent noodling which makes me want to reach for the "skip" button.

contrary to many posters on here, i instantly liked hail to the thief and while i would still give it a report card of "can do better), all in all i thought it was a pretty decent effort.

sorry if you thought my post was "poor" but as a big radiohead fan, i felt i needed to express my fgeelings on the subject.

matter of opinion mate.

if you read my whole post i admit that they have done some pretty good stuff in the past 10 years, just nothing like what they were capable of.

basically, they made a blockbuster album, got huge, thought "oh sh1t, how are we gonna top this?", bricked it and disappeared up their own back sides.

don't think that i have "failed to understand" how good their more recent stuff has been. every new album they release, i have bought on release date with eager anticipation. with kid a and amnesiac, i have went from not being sure on 1st listen, persevering with them, growing to like them, listening to them a lot, then gradually listening to them not so much. looking back on those 2 albums after a few years, there are a handful of memorable songs on each, interspersed with lots of self indulgent noodling which makes me want to reach for the "skip" button.

contrary to many posters on here, i instantly liked hail to the thief and while i would still give it a report card of "can do better), all in all i thought it was a pretty decent effort.

sorry if you thought my post was "poor" but as a big radiohead fan, i felt i needed to express my fgeelings on the subject.

That was a great post ;) Explanation of why you didn't like those albums. When it comes to music, I just don't like people saying something's sh1te and not backing up why. Cheers Greacen 2000

Yer Dong

Guest ton_will_get_promoted

This new album is the greatest thing I have ever heard.

Sublime vocals by yorke.

It's like a mix between Ok Computer and Amnesiac.

'Nude', 'Weird Fishes/Arpeggi', 'All I Need', 'Reckoner', 'House of Cards' and 'Videotape' are all absolutely fantastic. The rest of the album is pretty damn good, but these songs are all capable of sitting alongside the best songs Radiohead have written. Never seen it coming, but this new album is a definate contender for album of the year.

: )

I disagree. Kid A flowed beautifully with each track blending into the next... HTTT was a group of songs put together and had no real flow to it.

The new ablum has been compared to OK Computer but "scarier" And the new songs have been heard live and are ace. There are a few songs on this album re-vamped from the ok computer sessions so should be amazing to hear them all recorded.

This new album is the greatest thing I have ever heard.

Sublime vocals by yorke.

It's like a mix between Ok Computer and Amnesiac.

The ned mask slipped a bit there sunshine. No more buckie down the railway line for you.

ryu-blackhadou.gif

jSuper_Street_Fighter_II_Turbo.png

An internet fud is still a fud.

I've seen them live a few times, absolutely sublime. If it's not your cup of tea, why go and see them?

As for the new album, I like it. A few listens in I think I enjoy it as much as OK Computer or Kid A. Weird Fishes is excellent.

"In a country lacerated by the sharp shards of broken brown-eyed promises, in a world bent low by the burden of disease, war and the price of Thunderbird, who is left to make full account of God and Britain's depleted moral mini bar? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken Caesar!"

Archived