Morton Etiquette - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton Etiquette

TheGoon

Question.

When you’re abroad or down south and get asked what team you support, do you say Greenock Morton or just Morton?

Also, do people tend to know who on earth you’re talking about? 99% of the time I get looks of bewilderment before an inevitable discussion of the Old Firm. Intrigued to hear of other experiences.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say "you won't have heard of them, Greenock Morton" here in the US. On all but one occasion I've been correct. The one guy who had heard of them was an elderly South African, who was a Leeds fan and had heard of us via Bobby Collins. For everyone else, the quick précis is, "we're one league below Rangers and Celtic, but we did cuff Celtic in the League Cup a few years ago."

In the UK, with a football fan I'd say Greenock Morton as well, in much the same way that I'd expect someone from Plymouth not just to say Argyle.

When I'm in the UK, generally football fans have heard the name, but that's about it. No ex-players, no divisional knowledge, whatever. Can't really blame them. Does anyone here know the make-up of the current Conference? In terms of club "size" and publicity, that's about where we're at. Until we're in the top flight we'll occupy the same case in the British consciousness as something like Bromley or Eastleigh, despite our UNDOUBTED and IMMENSE pedigree.

EOho8Pw.png

General Nonsense for this pis...ahh, never mind. 

I normally say Greenock Morton, and use a similar type of explanation as Nacho. A fair number of ex-pats and a couple of locals had heard of us. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

In the 23 years since leaving Scotland, during which time I've lived in The Netherlands, France and Belgium, I can't recall anyone I've ever met having heard of us. Maybe there have been one or two that I've forgotten about, but if so they're very, very few and far between. Generally, those in the countries mentioned who have a passing interest in football will only know of Rangers and Celtic, and that's it. Those with a slightly deeper interest may also know the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and maybe also Dundee Utd for their European exploits in the early-to-mid 80s, but probably not any more.

I just asked two guys in the office who are both quite into football, one a Genk fan and the other Anderlecht, which Scottish clubs they heard of, and apart from some of the above, Queen of the South was the only other team that got a mention. But that was more for their 'romantic' name than their footballing achievements. Edit to add: they both have of course heard of The Famous, but only because I bore the tits off them.

.... I did however get chatting to a minor English golf pro, whose name escapes me, in Spain on holiday last year, and he'd heard of us. He's a huge West Ham fan and knew us through Neil Orr. Mike Dean, the English Premiership ref, own a gaff in Spain on the same resort as me and he's heard of us too. :) 

Morton. Over the years I've had plenty of puzzled looks but I put that down to english folk being a bit thick.

To the contrary I always find that English football supporters tend to have a curious interest in Scottish football, almost in a way that they see us similar to themselves, but with peculiar differences.

Our football culture in this country is something to be proud about, even although it is often derided.

Anyway, I always say Morton rather than Greenock Morton.

*insert signature here*

To the contrary I always find that English football supporters tend to have a curious interest in Scottish football, almost in a way that they see us similar to themselves, but with peculiar differences.

Our football culture in this country is something to be proud about, even although it is often derided.

Anyway, I always say Morton rather than Greenock Morton.

That may be true of a genuine football fan but certainly isn't the norm. Your average punter down here wears a Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal shirt but couldn't point to Liverpool or Manchester on a map never mind Scotland.

In the 23 years since leaving Scotland, during which time I've lived in The Netherlands, France and Belgium, I can't recall anyone I've ever met having heard of us. Maybe there have been one or two that I've forgotten about, but if so they're very, very few and far between. Generally, those in the countries mentioned that have a passing interest in football will only know of Rangers and Celtic, and that's it. Those with a slightly deeper interest may also know the likes of Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs and maybe also Dundee Utd for their European exploits in the early-to-mid 80s, but probably not many more.

I just asked two guys in the office who are both quite into football, one a Genk fan and the other Anderlecht, which Scottish clubs they heard of, and apart from the above, Queen of the South was the only other team that got a mention. But that was more for their 'romantic' name than their footballing achievements. Edit to add: they both have of course heard of The Famous, but only because I bore the tits off them.

To be fair CHC - you bore the tits off most people.

That may be true of a genuine football fan but certainly isn't the norm. Your average punter down here wears a Liverpool/Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal shirt but couldn't point to Liverpool or Manchester on a map never mind Scotland.

Indeed. A strange mix of glory hunters/being thick as pig shit.

The average Scot wouldn't be able to point out Gloucester or Shrewsbury on a map. Even supporters of big clubs may have an interest in the game outwith the top tier.

*insert signature here*

Surely it’s pretty easy to spot the sort of fanny that “supports” Liverpool/Man United/Chelsea etc. and just steer well clear? We tend to manage it pretty easily up here with Celtic and Rangers fans.

The English don't have more glory hunters than us. When you look at both of our league clubs average attendance\an average Saturday matchday country-wide attendance per capita, it's a very similar figure.

The English don't have more glory hunters than us. When you look at both of our league clubs average attendance\an average Saturday matchday country-wide attendance per capita, it's a very similar figure.

Evidence please.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

That’s...not even close to being true.

Archived