Philip Schofield - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Philip Schofield

capitanus

I've long lobbied the BBC for the reintroduction of a primetime TV homosexual. And yet some people have accused me of intolerance or homophobia, a word that didn't exist before 1980 - if you'd have used that term before then, people would have thought you were referring to some kind of science fiction disease. Uh-huh. Not me. Although, call me old-fashioned, but in my day public toilets were for pissing and shitting.

It seems that now it's not a criminal offence, it's fine for TV homosexuals to be 'active'. Is that a good thing? I'll remain above the fray. That's for you, the reader, to decide.

Although, if pushed, I'd say that if the 'activity' remains in a private dwelling or hotel, is genuinely consensual and the age disparity is under a decade, let them broadcast.

EOho8Pw.png

The very fact in-itself that this is considered 'shocking' and newsworthy is pretty depressing. Although to be fair he seems to be milking it with the comedic display yesterday on the telly. A simple, 'by the way I'm gay' statement would have sufficed, It should only have been a matter for him and his family, no-one else. 

The very fact in-itself that this is considered 'shocking' and newsworthy is pretty depressing. Although to be fair he seems to be milking it with the comedic display yesterday on the telly. A simple, 'by the way I'm gay' statement would have sufficed, It should only have been a matter for him and his family, no-one else. 

Agreed. I find the outpouring of affection from a bunch of over privileged bubble inhabiting luvvies vaguely nauseating. To describe his declaration as 'heroic' is fairly laughable given that he risks absolutely nothing. 

Agreed. I find the outpouring of affection from a bunch of over privileged bubble inhabiting luvvies vaguely nauseating. To describe his declaration as 'heroic' is fairly laughable given that he risks absolutely nothing. 

I get your point there, but I think it's overly simplistic and also maybe missing the point of the story a bit, or at least a deeper point as I don't disagree that the media ghouls and their fawning is best ignored.

I think it would take a degree of bravery to publicly announce that you're gay knowing the kind of attention you're going to get, and knowing that a lot of it will be rather unpleasant; homophobia is still all too common, so if celebrities are willing to come out in the public eye then it might help a lot of other people find it easier to come to terms (which is an unpleasant phrasing, but also, I think, accurate) with their sexuality and find the confidence to be able to tell people that they're gay too. It shouldn't be a story or a big issue, but that's how it is. 

There's no doubt that there's a lot of attention-seeking fawning going on from people desperate to get a bit of the limelight for themselves, but when "man being gay" is still considered a fairly major news story, it says more about society than it does about that person. It's absolutely beyond me as to why anybody would care.

AWMSC

I think that's what jars with me the most. Up and down the country there are real people risking everything to come to terms with their sexuality and opening up where getting disowned, getting kicked out or losing friends and relatives is a real possibility. Their actions are worthy of praise.

Schofield risks none of that in the world of celebrity he inhabits and casting his experience as being brave is nonsense.

I think that's what jars with me the most. Up and down the country there are real people risking everything to come to terms with their sexuality and opening up where getting disowned, getting kicked out or losing friends and relatives is a real possibility. Their actions are worthy of praise.

Schofield risks none of that in the world of celebrity he inhabits and casting his experience as being brave is nonsense.

Again, I agree to an extent. There's a couple of different aspects to it though: the media/celebrity thing is a load of nonsense, and being in a privileged position protects you from a lot of the risks thousands of others face; on the other hand, there's still a huge stigma to coming out as gay and maybe a celebrity doing it helps...or maybe it doesn't, maybe it perpetuates the whole thing as a major drama. Maybe the likes of the Sun should do everybody a favour and torch their offices. All of this can be true at the same time.

I suppose if you strip all the attention away, you've got a guy who was married for decades and has children has came to the conclusion that he's gay. That can't be an easy thing for anybody to carry or to to have to tell people, so if you look at it purely from that perspective then it really is quite a brave thing to do, to be honest with the world rather than keep living a lie. Everything else is an irrelevant side-show. 

AWMSC

He's got a wife and family who will be getting harassed by papers like the Sun. Some of the comments on Twitter, etc show that being gay isn't accepted by a lot of people either and are pretty horrible.

Again, I agree to an extent. There's a couple of different aspects to it though: the media/celebrity thing is a load of nonsense, and being in a privileged position protects you from a lot of the risks thousands of others face; on the other hand, there's still a huge stigma to coming out as gay and maybe a celebrity doing it helps...or maybe it doesn't, maybe it perpetuates the whole thing as a major drama. Maybe the likes of the Sun should do everybody a favour and torch their offices. All of this can be true at the same time.

I suppose if you strip all the attention away, you've got a guy who was married for decades and has children has came to the conclusion that he's gay. That can't be an easy thing for anybody to carry or to to have to tell people, so if you look at it purely from that perspective then it really is quite a brave thing to do, to be honest with the world rather than keep living a lie. Everything else is an irrelevant side-show. 

All of this is largely negated by going about shagging 18 year old boys on the fly, it has to be said.

AWMSC

Rumours are rife that Schofield was a patron of a theatre group the boy was in and started following him on Twitter at age 15. Then at 18 the boy gets a job as PS's runner on TV and moves to London.

All of that is social media tittle tattle and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

If it had been an 18 year old girl he had cheated with I think the headlines would've read Love Rat Schofield rather than the Brave and Proud Phil guff.

His sexuality is irrelevant to him being a cunt.

Rumours are rife that Schofield was a patron of a theatre group the boy was in and started following him on Twitter at age 15. Then at 18 the boy gets a job as PS's runner on TV and moves to London.

All of that is social media tittle tattle and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

If it had been an 18 year old girl he had cheated with I think the headlines would've read Love Rat Schofield rather than the Brave and Proud Phil guff.

His sexuality is irrelevant to him being a cunt.

Well what do you expect, he was a BBC children's presenter.

I do feel sorry for his wife and kids though, its very selfish of him to behave that way without giving them consideration.

*insert signature here*

Archived