Thread About Ex Player - Page 263 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

Absolutely. After the game Alex Smith (was he Manager/Director of Football at Ross County at the time, some role like that) said that Williams was certain to go on and play for Scotland.

What went wrong?

Alex Smith is a pish stained jakey.

Saying that though, Super should have went on to better things.

Scott Bannerman's goal in that 6-4 game remains one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh. Maybe even the best.

I remember a few months after that we beat Arbroath 1-0 and it was our first clean sheet in around a decade.

Best goal seen in the flesh would be a good new thread

This year the best I’ve seen was Tiffoneys goal against Inverness simply brilliant

Weathersons 30 odd yarder against QoS was also memorable

Aye was defo a free transfer. From what i can remember he kinda looked like lilley when he ran and looked like he was capable. Oooft he was pish. Think he only scored 1 goal

Aye he was a bit of a fake Lilley. Rotten.

I never got the need for him to have a flat in Greenock tbh. We knew his family very well at the time from drinking in the Norseman and his parents were as decent a couple as you could expect to meet, and coming from Govan, it was hardly a nightmare commute for him were he to decide to stay at home.

Of course, with a few quid in his pocket the temptation was probably to move out and enjoy himself to the full, which he certainly did, but giving him that independence, with a good wage was probably foolish on the club’s part.

I think that was part of the problem with Alex, where he was from and the company he kept. Just after he signed for us there was all sorts of stories about his golf club incident: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12223893.attack-footballer-put-on-probation/

When he was at Morton there was an incident at a snooker club and there was another incident in which he was caught up where a few of his mates got stabbed:

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/11988149.mother-in-tears-at-killers-sentence-teenager-given-five-years-for-stabbing-after-attack/

If there is such a thing, Alex was a victim of his environment where he would have needed to be a wide-o just to get by in life. It would have been better for the lad if he got a move to a club away from the central belt to Aberdeen or Dundee United, or even a club down South as he would have been able to give some distance to his scheme environment which eventually landed him in serious bother later on.

Regarding his career after Morton, bear in mind he was also part of the Clyde team that beat the beggars in the cup. Although Tony Wallace can also lay claim to that one.

He had a decent lower league career, and Morton will be just another Clyde or Ayr United to him, but he could have done so much more. Scottish football is littered with could-have-been stories. Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

I think that was part of the problem with Alex, where he was from and the company he kept. Just after he signed for us there was all sorts of stories about his golf club incident: https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/12223893.attack-footballer-put-on-probation/

Doesn't make for pleasant reading, it has to be said. There was a rumour that the victim's pals turned up at a game at Cappielow with the intention of attacking Williams but were stopped at the gates - no idea what truth there was in it (hopefully none), but grim stuff all the same.

AWMSC

The collapse season was probably my most enjoyed.

That 6-1 game at Airdrie that season was incredible. Everyone, opposition fans too, felt the League was over at that point.

Shame how it turned out.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

That 6-1 game at Airdrie that season was incredible. Everyone, opposition fans too, felt the League was over at that point.

Shame how it turned out.

n

Yep, for all the shite that went along with it, the worst thing about that season was that a genuinely thrilling side to watch went tits-up at the most basic level. It's a shame that such a good team with so many good players fell apart so spectacularly.

You'd have more than fancied that side to have went up and done well too, yet look what's happened since.

AWMSC

The highlight was the game against an already relegated Stenhousemuir at Cappielow, with still a chance of promotion, and getting mauled 4-1. You couldn’t have made some of it up.

If you’re not able to enjoy Morton at their most humiliated you’re not in it for the right reasons.

If we’d managed to get up Hamilton might have stayed down a bit longer instead of selling players for millions, and we’d have avoided Gretna. We’d probably be St Johnstone now.

Scott Bannerman's goal in that 6-4 game remains one of the best goals I've ever seen in the flesh. Maybe even the best.

I remember a few months after that we beat Arbroath 1-0 and it was our first clean sheet in around a decade.

Brilliant as it was, that wasn’t even Bannerman’s best Morton goal. His first in the 4-1 against Stenhousemuir.

For a player who loved a blooter into the stratosphere, when Bannerman actually hit the target it was always somehow remarkable. The one penalty I remember him takong was exceptional as well.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Brilliant as it was, that wasn’t even Bannerman’s best Morton goal. His first in the 4-1 against Stenhousemuir.

For a player who loved a blooter into the stratosphere, when Bannerman actually hit the target it was always somehow remarkable. The one penalty I remember him takong was exceptional as well.

I wasn't there - didn't get back into the Morton fold until the end of that season.

He left the senior game very very early and ended up scanning bags at Edinburgh Airport.

EOho8Pw.png

The highlight was the game against an already relegated Stenhousemuir at Cappielow, with still a chance of promotion, and getting mauled 4-1. You couldn’t have made some of it up.

If you’re not able to enjoy Morton at their most humiliated you’re not in it for the right reasons.

If we’d managed to get up Hamilton might have stayed down a bit longer instead of selling players for millions, and we’d have avoided Gretna. We’d probably be St Johnstone now.

That game was absolutely awful, and I remember more stunned acceptance than anger. We just knew how fucked we were that losing 4-1 to a village club en route to the Third Division was how the season was wrapping up.

The reception given to the team at Airdrie the following week was infinitely more than they deserved.

EOho8Pw.png

Think that is the most gutted I have ever been at a game. I remember the big bald stenhiusemuir forward scoring an overhead kick that day and looking unstoppable. Surprised we didn't sign him

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

It’s when you think back to all of these ‘occasions’ that you realise how often the fans have been let down and why we will never attract many of them back.

Over the past 15 years there have been some

Monumental shame games.

I remember there just being a really eery silence for much of that Stenhousemuir game, such was the grim inevitability of it. I'm not sure if if was like that or if it's just how I remember it, but the latter part was certainly true. Nobody was surprised by what unfolded.

As I mentioned before, there was just so many things that went wrong but it was perhaps the most unforgivable of Rae's managerial blunders to not only allow McCornack to finish that season, but to get a bit of the next one too. Again, we were shipping goals at an alarming rate even when things were going well, so regardless of anything else there were clear, systemic issues on the pitch that the manager wasn't resolving: when things are going so pear-shaped so quickly, desperation alone should motivate you to bring somebody else in to see if it can at least slow the rot.

Allowing him to go into the next season is basically the root of our ills ever since though, it absolutely solidified the culture of unprofessionalism, failure and mediocrity that McInally exploited. It really was a dismal period and as someone else said, one we still haven't recovered from nor look likely to as it stands.

• Upvote 1

AWMSC

Shame how it turned out.

That was absolutely glorious. I really, really hated Airdrie and actually miss the needle they used to bring to a league. The current Falkirk rivalry (if you can call it that) doesn't get near it.

Shame how it turned out.

Me and Blair were hanging out your car window driving to that game and toasting the team bus. Edited by LargsTON

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

Me and Blair were hanging out your car window driving to that game and toasting the team bus.

Was just thinking that - wasn't Weatherson trying to reach it out the driver's window?

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.