Derby Nightmares - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Derby Nightmares

I realise we will have trouble keeping it down to 5, but try anyway.

(Actually, this is a bit like asking for our national team's 5 worst defeats by England - too many to choose from)

1. Skunks 5 Morton 1 (93-94)

We lost 5-1 in three different ways that season (the other two were to Falkirk). Our Tartan tripe found themselves 4-0 down by HT and Saints clearly took their foot off the gas - making it 5 mere seconds after our late consolation goal.

"McGraw must go" and "Wilson, Wilson, get tae f**k" were popular melodies that night.

2. Morton 1 Skunks 4 (99-00)

Nae Cowshed and nae atmosphere in our end, the WDE was actually pretty full. Visitors were miffed at HS for not making their end all ticket, but there was really no need. Top v nearly bottom - Curran got ours whilst 3-0 down. Maxwell (or was it Wylie?) saved a penalty at 3-1.

3. Morton 2 Skunks 4 (93-94)

The first time I have seen a scarf thrown onto the park in disgust - from the Cowshed in this B&Q cup-tie after the score went to 4-1. Only 0-1 at HT, there then followed a grisly collapse by the same squad who would lose 5 in a few months at the midden.

4. Morton 0 Skunks 3 (95-96)

Our first game without the services of ****-acquired Derek McInnes (but with Brian Reid instead) and it showed. Two late goals made a rather fairer scoreline - we were a complete mess. All 4 derbies this season were away wins (1-4, 0-3, 0-1, 1-2).

5. Morton 1 Skunks 2 (93-94)

Completing the hat-trick from THAT season (relegation was mere weeks away) was this effort in which Saints scored all 3 goals. No, really - Dawson flicked a cross into his own net after about 30 seconds but we never looked like winning anyway. The winner was scored by former Ton hero Neil Orr.

Honourable mention to the game in which Wylie and Psycho collided to leave an empty net for fatboy.

AT

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

• 2 months later...
Guest ton_will_get_promoted

Nothing was more painful than watching Yardley stumble through our defence and score the winning goal in extra time in the league cup.

Think this was the same day Scotland drew with the faeros.

Skunks 1 - 5 Morton Yeah every Ton fans idea of heaven, but a nightmare for me as my gaffer wouldn't give me time of work to go to the game.

Baws!

"DUTCH HOOPS" GMSC NEDERLAND

Nothing was more painful than watching Yardley stumble through our defence and score the winning goal in extra time in the league cup.

1080[/snapback]

It was.

I remember walking to my mates house at full time and saying at least we'd have a Scotland victory to cheer us up. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry when Dougie Donnelly intoned that we were two down.

EOho8Pw.png

1080[/snapback]

I think I remeber that game, shocker, did Hopkins score that day? Got home just for the start of the 2nd half of the scotland game and 2-0 down :angry:

I think I remeber that game, shocker, did Hopkins score that day? Got home just for the start of the 2nd half of the scotland game and 2-0 down  :angry:

1575[/snapback]

Have to agree. This game was really painful, considering at half time we were miles ahead of them, I thought we were going to give them a right doin!!

Hopkin goes off at the interval which inspired them and caused our collapse!! :(

Realise I used the wrong quote........still getting to grips with this new technology.

1080[/snapback]

But, to be fair, we did have a few players away on international duty that day?

Note to self - be nice to the opposition.

1080[/snapback]

ahh memories :D That was indeed a beautiful goal - reminiscent of John Barnes against Brazil. Even the Scotland score couldn't dampen our spirits after dumping you lot out of the cup :lol: :lol:

My first memory of a St. Mirren v Morton match was when we humped the Soapdodgers 5-1 at Love Street on 30 October 1976. We followed that up by rogering them 6-3 at Crappielow on New Year's Day 1977.

Since my first derby match we have played the soapdodgers a total of 66 times and I've been at them all.

Of those 66 matches, St. Mirren have won 41 with 11 being drawn. Morton have won only 14.

In the process I have witnessed us bagging 131 goals and conceding 78.

And from 19 Feb 1983 until 28 Sept 1997, St. Mirren went on a 16 game unbeaten run at Crappielow, winning 14 of those games.

By far, the easiest opposition that St. Mirren have encountered in my lifetime supporting the club has been Morton. In fact, Morton have been comedy opposition. :lol:

Morton FC - Scotland's Most Relegated Club

St. Mirren FC - Scotland's 6th Biggest Club

Archived