Northwich Match Report - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Northwich Match Report

Bryan

Danny Goodwin

Date:  15-07-05 11:23

NORTHWICH V MORTON MATCH REPORT

Morton Team McGurn, Wetherston, Harding, Greacen, McGregor, Walker, Millar, Finlayson, Lilley, McLaren & McAllister

Northwich – apologies – team ran out in all sorts of American football numbers and I didn’t have a team sheet.

The Morton line-up saw David McGregor in the left-back position, Andy McLaren in a slightly deeper role and Derek Lilley at centre-forward.

Morton were caught cold in just 6 minutes when from a free-kick the unchallenged Carr rose to head the ball beyond McGurn to put Northwich 1 up.

Defences were on top in the opening 20 minutes and Morton suffered a blow in 20 minutes when Walker, who had looked well composed in the opening spell, was taken off with an foot injury and replaced by John Adam.

In 23 minutes a Lilley played the ball down the left to McAllister but his cross was headed over by Finlayson.

In 40 minutes Lilley supplied Finlayson who shot over from 25 yards and just before the break a lob come shot from Miller was easily held by Vics goalie Connet.

H/T/ 1-0 - probably just about deserved with very few clear cut chances at either end.

55 minutes saw Northwich gain two corners in quick succession but resulted in a weak header going well wide.

Andy McLaren then beat two players down the right and cut inside, but his weak toe-poke from 15 yards was straight at the keeper.

Northwich then split open the Morton defence and they went two up when their player received the ball 10 yards out from goal and hammered home, giving McGurn no chance.

Morton then had a flurry of substitutions which saw Keanen, Jason Walker and a guy with blond hair!!!

There were a couple of chances at both ends, Byrne striking the post for Northwich and Millar striking the post at the other end albeit he had been flagged off-side.

A good competitive game with Northwich just about deserving their victory, with Morton’s lack of firepower up front being their downfall.

Full time 2-0

Attendance 400 (est) 'Ton fans 40ish (superb)

Apologies for lack of home team players and their 2nd goalscorer plus one morton sub - it was difficult doing a report and taking photos at the same time.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

Mclaren and Lilley and we still have a lack of firepower?!?!?

WTF?

1809[/snapback]

we were lacking a second stirker.

"Boy, I got vision, and the rest of the world wears bifocals."

Oh dear!!!!

beaten 0-2 by a ENGLISH non league side, does not bode well for the coming season.

cought cold says Danny; but wern't we caught cold a few times last season.

I thought these tours were to play against lesser opposition and add a bit of glamour to their drab lives and to show them what full time pro teams were all about. To bond our team and build confidence.

How far down in the scheme of things do we have to go before we can look good?

Perhaps we have been watching tat for so long, we have forgotten what good football is!!

However Morton supporters being what we are <_ dare say we will all be there on the opening day hoping for best.>

foobs B)

Yes it was McGroaty.

IMO Jim McCallister was Morton's MOM and I reckon we had about 65% of possession but the usual failing...bad marking and the defence opened up too easily.

They were not a bad side tho and received good vocal support from their "green and white hoopites"

Templeman had a slight knock but I think he should be ok for saturday.

Walker didnt look too good injury wise

Team Lined Up

-------------------------1.McGurn

2.Weatherson------5.Greacen----4.Harding-----3.McGregor (15.McGroarty)

-------------------------6.Walker ( 12.Adam - 14.Keenan)

---8.Finlayson------------------------------------11.McAllister

-------------------------7.Millar

--------------10.McLaren (17.J.Walker)

--------------------------------------9.Lilley

Keenan, McGroarty, J.Walker all come on too late to make an impact. Especially McGroarty which i thought was a bit pointless. Mind numbing game to be at. Although it was only the first preseason game i still have big concerns over Stewart Greacen. I'd agree with Giz that Jim McAlliseter was our best player especially the first half

Says in the Tele that they had a lot of Ex Pros in their team, and were well organised.

Have no worries about the result whatsoever. These games are just to see how things would work. If it doesnt, fix it for the next one.

Chill people.

Bryan, they werent great but i'd still say that we wont come against many better teams in our league this season. They were relegated last season and will play in the Conference North this season. But the reason they got relegated was because they were deducted 13 points for 'breach of rules' . I think they were in administration. They have the same team as last season and so in reality their team is equivalent to a midtable conference team.

i'd love us to try mccluskey and harding.

1922[/snapback]

Ditto that.

Greacen is a rock in the defence, rarely loses a header but he can be a bit of a liability in some occassions. A few of his passes may go astray, and then we are hit on the counter attack etc. He does make some very good, and vital tackles though.

I would give McCluskey a shot for one of these friendlies in England just to see how he pairs with Harding at the back.

Archived