Morton vs Ross County - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Morton vs Ross County

Jamie_M

Erm yes because nothing deals with the problem of losing money at the gate (evidence for which= absolutely zero) quite like spunking a six figure sum on a set of shan turnstiles instead. When will the club break even on that investment?

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Electronic turnstiles were urgent I'd imagine as the club have been getting fleeced out of money for decades on the old ones.

They've probably done themselves out of a lot of money due the shitey the system they brought in with the new turnstiles. They could have also just employed people the trusted, if trust was an issue. Add this in with the ridiculous rise in the concession price, it will have been a costly exercise. Hawke stated that the rise was brought due to people turning up and just asking for a concession since it was cheaper. A simple solution would have been to make sure anyone asking for a concession provides ID or no entry as a concession. When I was at uni and going through the turnstiles as a student, I was never asked for ID. 

Electronic turnstiles were urgent I'd imagine as the club have been getting fleeced out of money for decades on the old ones.

There was an issue with that around 2009, so they got trusted members of Crawfords employees, and Morton youth players to do them till the end of 2016.

But the safety officer then decided there shouldn’t be separate people doing it, and it should just be stewards again, for half a season before the new ones were installed.

They've probably done themselves out of a lot of money due the s***ey the system they brought in with the new turnstiles. They could have also just employed people the trusted, if trust was an issue. Add this in with the ridiculous rise in the concession price, it will have been a costly exercise. Hawke stated that the rise was brought due to people turning up and just asking for a concession since it was cheaper. A simple solution would have been to make sure anyone asking for a concession provides ID or no entry as a concession. When I was at uni and going through the turnstiles as a student, I was never asked for ID. 

Indeed. I know the turnstyle thing's been rumbling on for ages and I don't necessarily mean to open the can of worms over it again, but any issues with the old turnstyles could have been fixed by a number of much cheaper solutions - not least involving the police if the club knew employees were stealing - before going the whole hog and replacing them, so why was that a priority when displacing the paying punter isn't?

New, speedier turnstyles and regular TV cameras are requirements that go hand-in-hand - neither is necessary whilst there's a poor team on the park. There's no point having a (theoretically) swanky ticketing system when attendances are stagnating at a low number, the number one priority should have been to get the team heading in the right direction and looked at improving infrastructure once that was happening. Otherwise it's just a waste of money.

AWMSC

Stealing was a minor issue as far as I know. The bigger issue was the number of people getting concessions that shouldn't have been. The statistics that they published last year showed that we were losing an awful lot through that. So it made sense to put a system in place to generate more income by reducing the % of concessions.

You could argue that they didn't need the electronic turnstiles for that, but about half of the old ones were broken already and the rest weren't in great condition. They needed replaced and it made sense to properly invest in electronic turnstiles.

The decision to install them was a good one. The implementation, on the other hand, was not good (and that was the issue).

Stealing was a minor issue as far as I know. The bigger issue was the number of people getting concessions that shouldn't have been. The statistics that they published last year showed that we were losing an awful lot through that. So it made sense to put a system in place to generate more income by reducing the % of concessions.

Statistics that paid no reference to the fact that we offered an unemployed concession that nobody else did and the demographic of the fan base, likely 2 far bigger reasons for our higher number than those taking a concession wrongfully.

You could argue that they didn't need the electronic turnstiles for that, but about half of the old ones were broken already and the rest weren't in great condition. They needed replaced and it made sense to properly invest in electronic turnstiles.

Electronic turnstiles do absolutely nothing to resolve the supposed issue that the club was 'losing' money through concession tickets. The club could have simply set up a ticket booth and made it necessary to buy tickets from there at an absolute fraction of the cost. There will be no return on that extra investment before the shan turnstiles are either i) broken in turn or ii) made obsolete by new technology. 

And that's leaving aside the issue that all too many matchdays have shown: if there is a large crowd (or simply more people turning up just before kick-off) then the reduced number of turnstiles can't handle the demand in a timely manner. If the club ever got into the top flight or secured some big cup ties, the current entry system to the Cowshed/Sinclair Street end would be overwhelmed on a regular basis. 

In every sense then it is a utterly useless, white elephant project. There is a reason why GMFC are the exception and not the rule in choosing to 'invest' in this rubbish at this level of the game. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Does the club still give out comps to anyone who can tickle Crawford's belly button with their tongue, from the inside?

From memory, Nick Robinson was the only decent one among them and still bought a season ticket while working voluntary for the club. Probably still does, it's been a while since I spoke to him. 

Electronic turnstiles do absolutely nothing to resolve the supposed issue that the club was 'losing' money through concession tickets. The club could have simply set up a ticket booth and made it necessary to buy tickets from there at an absolute fraction of the cost. There will be no return on that extra investment before the shan turnstiles are either i) broken in turn or ii) made obsolete by new technology. 

And that's leaving aside the issue that all too many matchdays have shown: if there is a large crowd (or simply more people turning up just before kick-off) then the reduced number of turnstiles can't handle the demand in a timely manner. If the club ever got into the top flight or secured some big cup ties, the current entry system to the Cowshed/Sinclair Street end would be overwhelmed on a regular basis. 

I've wondered about these two things too.

For the first one, can the scanners recognise phones, or print at home tickets? These are increasingly common at bigger stadiums, so if the system in place can't do so then it isn't, by definition, "state of the art" or modern. That's before getting to the website and its myriad failings, the £2 surcharge or the nonsense of an explanatory video being posted in October.

On the second, there really doesn't seem to be enough gates, regardless of how many people are allegedly able to get through per minute. Even a crowd of 5/6k is surely going to cause a lot of congestion.

Also, if we're looking at getting in to the top flight then it's entirely possible that that whole corner of the ground will be getting redeveloped. Even allowing for the notion that the gates are moveable, what would happen if we went and won the league this year? That'd be a significant amount of work done on installing the gates that would have been wasted if renovations were required.

It's typical of the myopic, half-arsed decision making that defines the club at every turn.

AWMSC

That'd have been a worse solution than what we have now IMO.

Absolutely. The idea of loading a game onto a card and scanning into a game is far better than having to queue twice at a ground or having to go somewhere beforehand for a ticket.

The club looked at the issues as a whole and tried to find the best solution. I think in theory what they did was a good idea, but the implementation was poor (including the terrible website, number of entry points, stewarding at the gates, etc.). Generally the club have been really poor with getting the details right.

That'd have been a worse solution than what we have now IMO.

It’d also have been roughly £95k cheaper than Iron Man’s pointless white elephant project though.

I'd have gone into Smiths to secure a match day ticket from there - which is exactly what I have been doing since the shan turnstiles were brought in anyway. 

Queen of the South use a ticket booth to deal with the issues of having money handled at the gate and big bad people buying concession tickets. As do Raith Rovers, Inverness etc. as well. It is by the most straightforward and cost-effective solution to a largely overstated problem. Absolutely none of the clubs who have operated at or near our level in recent years have chosen to spunk a six figure sum on a white elephant project for this reason. That, and the fact that the handful of turnstiles the club got in return for this 'investment' aren't even fit to deal with the demand of a big game. 

The problem was overblown; the solution was terrible; the implementation was a shambles. Vintage GMFC decision-making then. 

And its an absolute ballache each and every time. Hibs being the perfect example when a large number of folk missed the first 15 mins or so.

Smiths isn't an option for a lot of folk either. Also, none of the club's mentioned above were/are operating with 100+ year old infrastructure like we were.

The implementation was an absolute farce absolutely no doubt, but reverting to a ticket booth only would have been an even bigger mess. Fact.

TIME FOR CHANGE!

So how do we line up tonight then?

Gaston

Tumilty Waddell Buchanan McKeown
         McAlister       Miller

Tidser

Telfer                        Tiffoney
                       McHugh

Im making perfect sense, your just not keeping up.

My Twitter - 
https://twitter.com/RJChesh

Archived