Thread About Ex Player - Page 328 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Thread About Ex Player

KingsTON

*inserts Venn diagram of people criticising Tidser for moving to take up a better contract elsewhere and people wanting Gavin Gunning back after he moved to take up a better contract elsewhere*

Gavin Gunning didn’t go to Them.

• Upvote 2

Plus Gunning was brought here on a short-term deal and was (mistakenly) not offered a testimonial. He also moved to a club who were, at that time, in a fairly respectable part of the English pyramid. And when Tidser made a comparable move - to Rotherham - absolutely nobody grudged him it.

Other than that, yeah, it's exactly the same.

• Upvote 1

EOho8Pw.png

That probably explains why cmdc's two-bob Paint job of a Venn diagram didn't make it to our screens as well.

• Upvote 2

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Plus Gunning was brought here on a short-term deal and was (mistakenly) not offered a testimonial. He also moved to a club who were, at that time, in a fairly respectable part of the English pyramid. And when Tidser made a comparable move - to Rotherham - absolutely nobody grudged him it.

Footballers at this level are mercenaries. Many of them move from short term deals to short term deal. That’s where we were at that time and Falkirk had a competitive advantage by being able to offer more money and a longer deal. It doesn’t strike me as being a problem. I wouldn’t grudge Tidser that right any more than Gunning or any others fishing around this level. At the end of the day, it’s a job first. Edited by cmdc

Footballers at this level are mercenaries. Many of them move from short term deals to short term deal. That’s where we were at that time and Falkirk had a competitive advantage by being able to offer more money and a longer deal. It doesn’t strike me as being a problem. I wouldn’t grudge Tidser that right any more than Gunning or any others fishing around this level. At the end of the day, it’s a job first.

Tidser's expiring deal wasn't short-term and nor was the deal he took at Falkirk.

EOho8Pw.png

The other difference being that Gunning didn’t have his decision to leave blow up in his face with a career trajectory akin to Carlo Monti or Stefan McCluskey, another reason one deserves to be pointed and laughed at while the other doesn’t.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Heard a funny story about him this morning.

Listened to Gary McKay Stevens podcast with Simon Ferry this morning and he told a story about how Gunning turned up to the DU Xmas party without a costume. Team put a bit of pressure on him to do something to make up for it so he pished in a glass, a good half pint apparently and downed the lot.

That's the kind of leader we need right there!

Said he was a nutter!

Footballers at this level are mercenaries. Many of them move from short term deals to short term deal. That’s where we were at that time and Falkirk had a competitive advantage by being able to offer more money and a longer deal. It doesn’t strike me as being a problem. I wouldn’t grudge Tidser that right any more than Gunning or any others fishing around this level. At the end of the day, it’s a job first.

I think we all know why he did it, that’s been well established. And we all understand that footballers look at moving clubs dispassionately, unlike ourselves. Nobody’s really disputing that it’s entirely up to him who he chooses to play for.

Likewise, it’s entirely up to us to despise him on the basis of those choices. See: O’Ware, Thomas.

• Upvote 1

*inserts Venn diagram of people criticising Tidser for moving to take up a better contract elsewhere and people wanting Gavin Gunning back after he moved to take up a better contract elsewhere*

That probably explains why cmdc's two-bob Paint job of a Venn diagram didn't make it to our screens as well.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't know if Cmdc wants his arse back anytime soon.

Edited by capitanus

*insert signature here*

Hence their competitive advantage.

Which nobody is denying, but the idea that he was destined to wander from six-month deal to six-month deal is plainly counterfactual, as is the comparison with Gunning.

EOho8Pw.png

Tidser would quite possibly have been Celtic regular for years if he’d had pace. A very talented player, but just had no zip in his legs, which is why he ended up playing at a pretty mediocre level throughout his career.

If you’re not rapidly quick these days you are going nowhere. Coaches should be honest with the numerous kids that are playing pro youth football - if you’re not fast, you’re never going to make it at a decent level.

• Downvote 3

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Never been a good athlete :lol: just because he wasn’t running about a lot doesn’t mean he wasn’t an excellent footballer at our level.

Didn’t say Tidser wasn’t a good player at our level - he was excellent at times. Fact is though, he was only playing at our level because he wasn’t a good enough natural athlete to secure a spot with an average SPL side.

When you are slow to start with... and then start to get slower with age, you end up getting released by Falkirk and signing for Kelty Hearts as a 30th birthday present!

• Downvote 4

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

Gary Harkins signs for Stenhousemuir.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are