Johansson's Future - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Johansson's Future

Admin

Johansson's Future  

84 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think should happen to Johansson?

• Sacked before the end of the season
    • Sacked at the end of the current season
    • Allowed to see out his contract until the end of next season
    • Given an extended contract beyond his current deal
  2. 2. What do you think will happen to Johansson?

• Sacked before the end of the season
    • Sacked at the end of the current season
    • Allowed to see out his contract until the end of next season
    • Given an extended contract beyond his current deal

We set a budget in the summer and put together a capable squad with it. We also went out of the cups (which some people bizarrely applauded at the time) which means that we have raised no further money during the season until now. So there is both no extra money to give to a manager and no reason to do so: he has a squad to get the best out of and has the same options as any other manager would have in the January transfer window to improve it. That's his job, that's what he no doubt signed up for when he was bulls***ting his way into the dugout. 

If Johannsson can't achieve anything under those circumstances then that's a reflection of the manager and not the board. That his fluffers made up ridiculous pipe-dreams about his big transfer plans to cover for terrible results and performances in the autumn doesn't change that fact. 

serious question whats a fluffer?

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't blame him for lack of recruitment, doesn't seem to be any enthusiasm anymore from Crawford and he hasn't kept up his correspondence with the fans either. Change in the boardroom is more important than the dugout right now

Ray's snakery probably knocked the wind out of Crawford's sails a bit. Is he still at all the games?

EOho8Pw.png

When it first became clear that Johansson wasn't capable of getting consistent results with the squad at his disposal, anyone who criticised him was told that it wasn't Johansson's fault because it was a squad he inherited, we had to wait until January when the manager could put his own mark on the squad. Even though Johansson took the job in September and therefore obviously didn't get it through a pitch to the board of 'your squad is crap and I will be selling mediocre mid-table form (at best) as a massive achievement on my part until I can overhaul it in January', we just have to accept it that he's powerless because he's supposedly been handed a squad no manager could possibly do better with.

Now, two weeks into January, when predictably it's looking like no massive January overhaul will be forthcoming, the argument is already changing. It's still not Johansson's fault even though we've reached January, now it's the board's fault for not launching money at a manager who is blatantly mismanaging the best players he already has, in order to dismantle a squad mid-season when it is notoriously difficult to rebuild.

If we do make signings after all in the remainder of the window, you can be confident that if results continue to be lower mid-table at best - with lapses into relegation form through long winless runs always a threat - that won't be Johansson's fault either. After all, it was only January he had, you can't judge a manager on that, he needs to be given a summer to properly shape the squad how he wants it.

Can someone please explain what Jonatan Johansson has done to earn the opportunity to build a squad? Yes, he's only been in charge for 19 games. Many managers have had worse starts at a club than he has and turned out to be good in the end, but that doesn't count as evidence that he actually has anything about him as a manager. Our players have gotten worse under his management, we're routinely an absolute mess in defensive organisation, his tactics are picked out of a hat, he's incapable of making positive changes during a game and prefers to do nothing while watching other sides run over the top of us as a result of their managers actually being capable of seeing how a game can be changed positively and making the change before it's too late. Contrast Alloa running over the top of us from the beginning of the second half thanks to Goodwin changing their shape at half-time with Johansson waiting until the entirely predictable equaliser was in before finally changing anything, which then made us worse anyway.

Starting his career this way doesn't mean he can be written off as a bad manager forever, but at the moment he is quite blatantly out of his depth. If he was a caretaker no one would be advocating giving him the job on a permanent basis on the strength of his results. We all know the club aren't ruthless enough to sack him provided we remain out of relegation trouble and a Raith style collapse looks unlikely, but why does that mean we shrug our shoulders and accept that he then gets to build the squad in the summer if we continue in this form and he's still done nothing to suggest he's got any more about him as a manager than James Grady?

If you're saying that he simply has to be given that chance in the summer regardless of how badly we do for the rest of the season because his contract is longer than that, then you're the one indulging in short-term thinking. He's got a contract until summer 2020 because the board handed out a two year deal in a kneejerk reaction to the manner of McKinnon's departure when a deal until this summer was the only sensible option for a first time manager. You're saying we should be bound by the board's previous mistake even if the manager has done nothing to suggest he's actually capable of management, with no thought to what that could actually mean for next season if Johansson has full control over the squad and the chance to add bad signings to the damage he's done in every other area.

His results are clearly good enough that we can say he's not a Willie McStay or Tommy Craig level of dud although he's absolutely heading for the Grady bracket, maybe when he has 20-30 games behind him he'll learn basics of management like how to make a change during a game to counteract your opponents and that it's not a good idea to set up your midfield in a way that absolutely wastes your two best players, and no one wants their club to have ti go through three managers in such a short space of time. For now though, when people are saying they see him becoming a good manager; what are you basing this on?

Obviously everyone hopes he'll come good, but hoping it's the case, having a hunch, thinking he's a nice guy or acknowledging that he was an excellent player don't cut it. None of those things are relevant to being a good manager and there's a mounting pile of evidence that he's out of his depth. What has anyone seen from him that suggests he's going to come good?

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Can someone please explain what Jonatan Johansson has done to earn the opportunity to build a squad? Yes, he's only been in charge for 19 games. 

If you're saying that he simply has to be given that chance in the summer regardless of how badly we do for the rest of the season because his contract is longer than that, then you're the one indulging in short-term thinking. 

In terms of the first point, in my opinion, you've answered your own question. I'm not specifically defending this manager but I think to call for his head after 19 games is too soon, especially given the circumstances of the start of the season. To be getting to the end of January and be asking for our third manager of the season, to me, is madness.

And honestly, for your second point, I don't understand it all. Short-term thinking is seeing some average performances and simply giving up on those responsible without taking into account the wider circumstances. Do you honestly think sacking him and appointing a third manager (bearing mind the cast of duffers available) would be a sensible and pro-active thing for the club to do?

What Carew can do with a ball, I can do with an orange

Which isn't actually a logical reason to keep hold of a dud and so should be filed in the bin by any competent board of directors. 

We have a competent board of directors?

Below is the sort of squad Jim Duffy (who wasn't good enough) managed to get us good results with including drawing at ibrox, so spare me that Johansson isn't able to go 19 games with this squad in this poor quality league this season without avoiding multiple embarrassing results.

2mng9bt.jpg

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

My concern right now is that we have a recent history of finishing the season with a run of poor results.  I know we are well clear of relegation at the moment and we do seem to be picking up enough points for mid table security with the possibility of getting to 4th, but when it comes to March if we switch off as per recent seasons, we could be in trouble.  Basically we are playing without a striker (Bob doesn't work as a lone striker and there is nobody worth playing alongside him at the moment.  It really is a case of grinding out dull and boring results until we are mathematically safe and then the guys can piss off to Tenerife.

I really want JJ to succeed,, but I'm very rapidly losing any belief that he can get the best out of our squad, and his apparent lack of urgency in the matter of improving the squad during the window is unforgiveable.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Below is the sort of squad Jim Duffy (who wasn't good enough) managed to get us good results with including drawing at ibrox, so spare me that Johansson isn't able to go 19 games with this squad in this poor quality league this season without avoiding multiple embarrassing results.

2mng9bt.jpg

What's particularly depressing in all of this is is the "well, nobody else is that good" line. That should make it even more of an issue that our manager isn't getting the best out his players rather than excusing it, it should be an opportunity to be pushing right up the league. If we could put out a team with an semblance of cohesion we'd be well on course to sealing the last play-off spot as a minimum rather than getting beat by fuckin Alloa.

AWMSC

In terms of the first point, in my opinion, you've answered your own question. I'm not specifically defending this manager but I think to call for his head after 19 games is too soon, especially given the circumstances of the start of the season. To be getting to the end of January and be asking for our third manager of the season, to me, is madness.

And honestly, for your second point, I don't understand it all. Short-term thinking is seeing some average performances and simply giving up on those responsible without taking into account the wider circumstances. Do you honestly think sacking him and appointing a third manager (bearing mind the cast of duffers available) would be a sensible and pro-active thing for the club to do?

You didn't actually answer point one nor did Dunning as you say answer his own question.

The question was, what has JJ done to EARN the right to further responsibility? What, in ANYTHING he has done in the role so far has been of a standard that demonstrates that he should be given more trust? It is not a right if you demonstrate little to no competence.

Saying it is too soon does not answer that question.

On the second point, the short term thinking is excusing what is going on now because of what has gone on before it. Using the immediate past as an excuse to avoid logically assessing current performance. Looking back not ahead and forseeing how it will be in 6, 12, 18 months.

Excusing JJ's performance because the snake left us, and that he has a team he didn't build (like every other manager that steps into a job).

Funny that things were seen as so tough for Duffy and McKinnon at the start because they started with no squad. Now it's so tough for JJ because he started with a squad. Excuses. Always excuses.

He applied for the job. He talked his way into the job. He knew the tough gig he was coming into. He would have said he was capable of doing it (without bleating about the need to rebuild because he wouldn't have got near the job if he did). He has demonstrated nothing to back that up.

All the signs are saying that JJ will continue to flounder and be scrapped at best in the summer, at worse by December when we'd be in the same boat (or worse) having let another apparent failure build a squad, someone else coming in and have to pick up the pieces of that, rinse and repeat.

Admitting we made a mistake, taking decisive action, restarting with a plan for the medium term is not short sighted. And just because there are other duds out there doesn't mean we should accept failure and not try to get a good one.

If the club sacked Johansson before the end of this season and came out with a statement along the lines of "Whilst it may appear a hasty decision, we are determined to fulfil out stated ambition of reaching the top flight within 3 years and it's become clear to us that a change in management is needed to achieve that blah blah blah". then I doubt anybody outwith the talk shows is likely to go "oh, that's poor". Do we really think Jim Goodwin, for example, is going to think "Oh, that's a shame, he was great manager?" Balls.

If the club really do have a three year plan then that's what needs to happen. Anybody who isn't pulling their weight should be punted without any room for regrets or sentiment, there needs to be a ruthlessness and it needs to be clear to everybody taking a wage that anything other than their optimal performances will not be tolerated.

AWMSC

You didn't actually answer point one nor did Dunning as you say answer his own question.

The question was, what has JJ done to EARN the right to further responsibility? What, in ANYTHING he has done in the role so far has been of a standard that demonstrates that he should be given more trust? It is not a right if you demonstrate little to no competence.

Saying it is too soon does not answer that question.

In my opinion, yes it does. You want him to earn the right but won't give him longer than 19 games or even to the end of his first transfer window. A transfer window that is notoriously hard to work in. 

One post above even mentions a "lack of urgency in improving the squad" and that it's "unforgivable" but we have zero evidence that there is a lack or urgency and no insider information on the efforts being taken by the manager to get players in.

I'm not defending JJ specifically, I'm saying that I think sacking him so soon would be a mistake and it seems one terrible result has the place in knicker-wetting meltdown. I can't believe the optimism has disappeared so quickly considering how positive the responses were when he was appointed.

Jim Duffy won the League One title despite himself it seemed, and results improved as time went on and new players came in. Isn't that a good example of giving the manager time to get it right?

I'd be a lot more in favour of JJ if he started using 2 of the best midfielders in the league properly every week. Millar and Tidser are absolutely wasted by his shitey negative tactics. The 2 of them probably can't wait to get out of here. 

In my opinion, yes it does. You want him to earn the right but won't give him longer than 19 games or even to the end of his first transfer window. A transfer window that is notoriously hard to work in.

One post above even mentions a "lack of urgency in improving the squad" and that it's "unforgivable" but we have zero evidence that there is a lack or urgency and no insider information on the efforts being taken by the manager to get players in.

I'm not defending JJ specifically, I'm saying that I think sacking him so soon would be a mistake and it seems one terrible result has the place in knicker-wetting meltdown. I can't believe the optimism has disappeared so quickly considering how positive the responses were when he was appointed.

Jim Duffy won the League One title despite himself it seemed, and results improved as time went on and new players came in. Isn't that a good example of giving the manager time to get it right?

A transfer window that is notoriously hard to work in. Therefore the outcome of such is unlikely to give much in the way of a new found glowing review of JJ's performance and therefore asking to give him until the end of that is fruitless when assessment of competency is already being made on everything else.

Tactics

Shape

Style of play

Game management

Substitutions

Building around our strongest players

Getting the most out of players not the worst

Learning from mistakes

Performaces

Results

Embarrassment

The optimism was there. Most were pleased with a different style of appointment. With the best will in the world everybody wanted him to succeed. But the optimism has gone because he has shown nothing, NOTHING to suggest he is competent enough for the role.

Duffy at least showed some competence from the start.

Our support are revisionists and nutters for the most part. We've been a mixed bag since JJ came in and he has only had McKinnons squad to work with. Duffy never at any stage used Tidser very well either but he got 4 years at the club.

I have some faith that with time and signings afforded him JJ will do fine.

The bigger problems at the club have stemmed from boardroom level it seems, and fans are just getting more impatient for our time to come, when we'll finally have our cup final or premiership run like other shitey wee clubs always seem to get. So JJ is attracting far more ire than he deserves.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Our support are revisionists and nutters for the most part. We've been a mixed bag since JJ came in and he has only had McKinnons squad to work with. Duffy never at any stage used Tidser very well either but he got 4 years at the club.

I have some faith that with time and signings afforded him JJ will do fine.

The bigger problems at the club have stemmed from boardroom level it seems, and fans are just getting more impatient for our time to come, when we'll finally have our cup final or premiership run like other s***ey wee clubs always seem to get. So JJ is attracting far more ire than he deserves.

I don't think it's that, well not for me personally.

I supported Duffy long after most people had and I still to this day think he did a good job with us, hell I even believed Craig levein was doing a decent job with Scotland long after everyone despised him.

I'm bored of the " Mckinnon's squad" argument now as it's based on the presumption that only Ray Mckinnon can make a squad filled with championship and Premier league experience work, and that Johansson is helpless to do better than his record of 5 wins in 19 games and 2 wins in 12 games against teams outside the bottom two.

If people who support Johansson could give me one, and only one positive from his tenure so far that makes you think that he has shown he has what it takes to succeed then by all means provide it to me and I may change my mind, but for me I have absolutely no evidence that he has any redeemable qualities to be a football manager and should be trusted longer term when the club has a supposed three year plan for success.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Please specify your ‘one terrible result’ from the following list:

Morton 1 Ayr 5

Ross County 5 Morton 0

Morton 0 Alloa 2

Dunfermline 3 Morton 0

Alloa 2 Morton 1, coupled with a disgraceful performance

Fully one quarter of all his first team matches have been ‘terrible results’; which is why only an absolute moron would bleat about why he isn’t being viewed positively any more and must be given more time for nonsensical reasons.

He’s a dud.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

If the club sacked Johansson before the end of this season and came out with a statement along the lines of "Whilst it may appear a hasty decision, we are determined to fulfil out stated ambition of reaching the top flight within 3 years and it's become clear to us that a change in management is needed to achieve that blah blah blah". then I doubt anybody outwith the talk shows is likely to go "oh, that's poor". Do we really think Jim Goodwin, for example, is going to think "Oh, that's a shame, he was great manager?" Balls.

If the club really do have a three year plan then that's what needs to happen. Anybody who isn't pulling their weight should be punted without any room for regrets or sentiment, there needs to be a ruthlessness and it needs to be clear to everybody taking a wage that anything other than their optimal performances will not be tolerated.

Correct - as opposed to the endless cycle of failure at Cappielow in which happy-clappers and board members are content to give obvious duffers all the time and money they want and then wonder why the club never actually achieves anything, as if it's some sort of cosmic misfortune rather than a direct result of crap decision-making and an unhinged idea of what counts as fair treatment towards incompetent staff at a professional, once-proud football club. 

At a Ross County or even a fucking Livingston-type outfit he'd be gone by the end of this season and to hell with what his media buddies think about it.  . 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

On that note, a lot of season tickets in the summer on the back of what seemed to be a renewed determination and sense of purpose about the club, complete with a stated, explicit ambition to get to the top flight within three years. 

I bought my first season ticket in 6/7 years (and probably went to at least two games in a row for the first time in several years) off the back of it and quite frankly, I resent the idea that the club has lied to the supporters which is exactly what they'd be doing if they tolerate a manager who clearly isn't going to deliver on the promise.

Crawford Rae has stated 3 years as his ambition and now he needs to deliver upon it. If that means some guy who's already made a fortune out of football gets punted after a few months, that's tough ****in luck. No fannying about, no career development, no excuses: take the tough decisions and to hell with everything else. That's how it goes if you want to reverse decades of failure.

AWMSC

Archived