Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow.. - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow..

delboy66

It is, in my estimation, a small contributory factor to a long-term sustainability project. Look at MCT - among the kind of people who still read things like the "Greenock Telegraph", having ex-players trotted out to say "aye, give them your money" probably gave it a bit of credence. Having these guys on deck for situations like that is a relatively small investment with almost no downside attached, unless one of them turns out to be a terrorist or something. And the upsides, while rare and unusual, come very cheaply.

How many individual contributors did the MCT scheme attract? Once those from among the core support and other well-wishers who don't read the Tele on a regular basis are excluded, I really don't think the approval of ex-players made a significant impact, with the probable exception of McGraw. You can keep the likes of him on board while not extending the privilege to those who are, quite frankly, several tiers beneath him in the pecking order. 

The fact that we spunked 20 years' worth of wages on dross is not really related to this. Had we spent 2001 onwards running a glorified creche for ex-players, I would agree with you. But that's not where the failings were.

Seems like we were given that the far more competent CEO than the previous two has changed policy, leading to this howl of protest thread. I don't think that the club have done so just for a laugh. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't actually know how many people there are on the MCT donor list. Yeah, agreed, nobody's going to say "Jim Liddell says it's on the up and up, let's fire in", but remember, it wasn't too long ago that McGraw "felt unwelcome" at the club. I think it's best to avoid that when possible. Without having people take the piss, of course.

I'll withhold judgement on this exact situation until (if?) more information comes out, but I don't see any real downside in having a decent relationship with locals who spent almost a decade in the Morton shirt.

EOho8Pw.png

No, it's not the big trick, but it's part of it. And unfortunately we've shown ourselves to be singularly unable to replicate the success of Hamilton.

A big part of Hamilton’s financial success in years gone by could be put down to South Lanarkshire Council paying through the nose to rent office space at New Douglas Park for donkies years, as well as hiring the rest of their hospitality facilities for “staff development days” several times a year.

Council’s skint now, so doesn’t happen anymore, but having a cash generating stadium is the main thing here.

A big part of Hamilton’s financial success in years gone by could be put down to South Lanarkshire Council paying through the nose to rent office space at New Douglas Park for donkies years, as well as hiring the rest of their hospitality facilities for “staff development days” several times a year.

Council’s skint now, so doesn’t happen anymore, but having a cash generating stadium is the main thing here.

Yep, but they didn't fall backwards into that. (The only club in Scotland who really did so are St. Johnstone.) You have to make your own luck where these things are concerned. We haven't done that.

There is all kinds of airy-fairy bullshit money flying about the public sector and we should be getting right in amongst it.

EOho8Pw.png

form a PPA ( past players association) who can then verify the standing of the person claiming to be a past player

There are some former players who were past it before they arrived :mellow:

Fucking brilliant idea, let's form a club - 'Former Players Club Together' where they can all chip in munny, say a small amount of around £295 a year and they can all sit together wearing their carcoats and club ties in an otherwise barely used section of the main stand and regale each other (and those who remember them) with stories of how they fell in big puddles when playing hoofball back in the 1970s. They can also have a draw to see who does the next 50/50 draw etc. It's an ingenious idea.

Can someone lend me a fag packet to write all this down? What's the Daily Record's number?

*insert signature here*

Airdrie have got a purpose-built stadium as well but are an abject pub rabble. The difference is that Scottish football rewards success on the park - top flight football most of all - handsomely which gives clubs who get that right the chance to sustain their success. One playoff finish and a flukey promotion off the back of it is worth more to the long-term future of the club than an infinite number of ‘engagement’ activities.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

This is undoubtedly true. One top-flight season would make far, far more difference than years of this stuff. But that neither means that adding some community engagement necessarily detracts from the top flight goal; nor that it isn't a useful augmentation.

If we ever lose sight of the fact - as many would like us to do - that by far the most important aspect of Morton is its professional first team, then I agree that were are irrevocably screwed and a long, slow, lower-than-Airdrie decline awaits us. My contention isn't that we should do that and become some community-first club. It's that in order to make the most of our professional status, and to make it last as long as possible, we really need all the warm bodies we can muster, and if there's a relatively pain-free and cheap way of keeping people engaged, we should do it.

EOho8Pw.png

I've never heard of them and don't particularly care about some team that people have been banging on about constantly for every one of the past forty fucking years either.

Never heard of Charlie Brown?

Time for more of that in-depth analysis that you bore us all to death with then

Edit to add- Brown is the youngest player to play for our first team making his debut at 15 yrs 233 days and went on to play for the next 7 to 8 years.

Who gives a flying fuck? There's something to be said for inviting the better known ex-players along as special guests in the hospitality lounges, but there's absolutely no reason why they should otherwise be entitled to freebies.

Apart from the WGFF this is the reasonable position for the club to take.

By attending the chairman's lounge they are adding value and both the club and ex-player get some thing out of it. Had caught up with Hugh Murney (past captain) out in Melbourne and he couldn't wait to sign for Morton when he was offered more for a loss than he got as wages for being a joiner!

A middle ground would be to offer them say 4 tickets a year (sole use) for ten years if they have played over 100 first team games for the club.

Edit to add- Brown is the youngest player to play for our first team making his debut at 15 yrs 233 days and went on to play for the next 7 to 8 years.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

I kinda understand where you're coming from with the 'Big Andy' adulation from some that can get a bit tiresome, but I don't believe for a minute you're genuinely so disinterested in the club's history and some of those who played a part in it. Charlie was a great servant and scored some memorable goals, including a screamer in a win at Ibrox around 1979, that I was lucky enough to witness. Guys like him who played all or the majority of their career for us have earned our respect, IMO. 

I kinda understand where you're coming from with the 'Big Andy' adulation from some that can get a bit tiresome, but I don't believe for a minute you're genuinely so disinterested in the club's history and some of those who played a part in it. Charlie was a great servant and scored some memorable goals, including a screamer in a win at Ibrox around 1979, that I was lucky enough to witness. Guys like him who played all or the majority of their career for us have earned our respect, IMO. 

I thought it was 2-2. Charlie and Neil Orr or am I mistaken?

Airdrie have got a purpose-built stadium as well but are an abject pub rabble. The difference is that Scottish football rewards success on the park - top flight football most of all - handsomely which gives clubs who get that right the chance to sustain their success. One playoff finish and a flukey promotion off the back of it is worth more to the long-term future of the club than an infinite number of ‘engagement’ activities.

I went to a national education conference at Airdrie’s place once (Scottish Gov picking up that particular tab). Their catering was excellent.

I've genuinely never heard of Charlie Brown or Billy Liddell.

It was Jimmy Liddell, never a superstar but a decent keeper. I had the pleasure of meeting him having a couple of beers and going to a Dumbarton v Morton game with him about five years ago. A gentleman and spoke highly of his time with us.

Remember being 2 nil up against St Mirren and Jimmy being sent off after crunching one of their players ended up being pumped 4 or 5 Two

Didn't he create Snoopy as well?

Does Peanut McNeil get tickets for free? If not why not?

*insert signature here*

Apart from the WGFF this is the reasonable position for the club to take.

By attending the chairman's lounge they are adding value and both the club and ex-player get some thing out of it. Had caught up with Hugh Murney (past captain) out in Melbourne and he couldn't wait to sign for Morton when he was offered more for a loss than he got as wages for being a joiner!

A middle ground would be to offer them say 4 tickets a year (sole use) for ten years if they have played over 100 first team games for the club.

This pointless and unnecessary use of an abbreviation which nobody understands = 1* RD, DH.

Also, your pointless anecdote about a jobber from yesteryear, Murney McHugh or whatever he was called, merits another one.

*insert signature here*

Archived