Koronavirus - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Koronavirus

capitanus

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You do realise that the UK government is talking about inviting former doctors and GPs out of retirement to assist, as necessary. Just imagine Capitanus if you are required to head in for an assessment and an auld jakey in a white coat asks you to drop your trousers.

Who honestly cares? Glorified cold.

The illness itself is almost unimportant. (I say that while acknowledging the death toll, which seems pretty bad in Iran.) It's the second-order effects, including those on large gatherings, large workplaces, and travel. And then the effects of those, namely decreased productivity and disrupted supply chains.

It's not the Black Death and its not the end of the world or anything, but the economic impact at this point can't even be guessed at.

EOho8Pw.png

You do realise that the UK government is talking about inviting former doctors and GPs out of retirement to assist, as necessary. Just imagine Capitanus if you are required to head in for an assessment and an auld jakey in a white coat asks you to drop your trousers.

I'd happily piss on his face. Creepy old bastard.

*insert signature here*

Maybe there's reduced demand for travel? Air travel in particular. I had two domestic flights recently and they were literally full, and both DFW (major hub) and my destination (secondary airport in a major metro) were jumping. But here at DFW all but one of the flights to Asia are suspended. China is a huge domestic flight market and I imagine it's (pardon the pun) in free fall.

EOho8Pw.png

Maybe there's reduced demand for travel? Air travel in particular. I had two domestic flights recently and they were literally full, and both DFW (major hub) and my destination (secondary airport in a major metro) were jumping. But here at DFW all but one of the flights to Asia are suspended. China is a huge domestic flight market and I imagine it's (pardon the pun) in free fall.

Flights to and from here from the rest of Asia are dirt cheap at the moment. On the upside I might get a sneaky break to Bali before I inevitably catch the virus. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

China's 'nobody moves or else you get a truncheon in the face; oh and let's build some new hospitals in ten days or less' strategy reduces their daily rate of new cases to just 40. Meanwhile, Europe's refusal to immediately truncheon in the face and quarantine every double-barreled fuckwit who swanned off to the Italian Alps for a 'skiing holiday*' has turned the continent into a phlegm-ridden, hysterical mess.

* a ludicrous contradiction in terms

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

China's 'nobody moves or else you get a truncheon in the face; oh and let's build some new hospitals in ten days or less' strategy reduces their daily rate of new cases to just 40. Meanwhile, Europe's refusal to immediately truncheon in the face and quarantine every double-barreled fuckwit who swanned off to the Italian Alps for a 'skiing holiday*' has turned the continent into a phlegm-ridden, hysterical mess.

* a ludicrous contradiction in terms

I don't think that the Chinese Government can be trusted when it comes to facts.

One thing I am not too keen on is the name of this thing. It should be called "Chinese Coronavirus" so that everyone - whether in the present or the future - know who are to blame for this and we should use anti-terrorist laws to seize the assets of Chinese individuals in this country to compensate anyone who has been affected by this outbreak.

*insert signature here*

In the fog of war I am fine with erring on the side of caution. There are *unconfirmed* reports of people being infected more than once. We also don't know the long-term effects of infection. Saying it's just a flu may well be correct, but it's not known to be correct. Hence many countries (including the US, finally) are belatedly exercising caution.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we *should* use this as a chance to discuss health security in an age of globalized trade and travel. But we won't.

EOho8Pw.png

I'm upgrading this to a Stage 3 Happening, out of 5. The company I'm currently with places a HUGE emphasis on face-to-face work, everyone being in the office together, all that stuff... and they've just announced mandatory work from home for *at least* two weeks. Effective immediately. As in I'm sitting in the parking lot now as everybody peels out.

I've enjoyed rush hour getting faster and faster all week, and noticed the buildings around ours emptying out, but now we're all going remote as well. And we must be among the last to do so.

Once again, the second-order effects of this are going to be massive. The human death toll is almost secondary. Unless the infection rate whipsaws downwards by the end of March, recession seems inevitable.

EOho8Pw.png

In the fog of war I am fine with erring on the side of caution. There are *unconfirmed* reports of people being infected more than once. We also don't know the long-term effects of infection. Saying it's just a flu may well be correct, but it's not known to be correct. Hence many countries (including the US, finally) are belatedly exercising caution.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, we *should* use this as a chance to discuss health security in an age of globalized trade and travel. But we won't.

Surely the evidence already clearly highlights it is not just the flu. The comparable death rates are very different especially worrying if 80% of the population is infected (I hope this number will turn out to be greatly exaggerated).

It is *a* flu, but one without vaccines. It's also not killing many of the young. Not to minimize the tragic deaths at all, but look at the death stats in Italy to get a feel for who it's killing.

Culturally it feels like here in the US we only started taking it seriously last week, collectively. The time to take it seriously was January. Right now, to act is better than to not act, but it's still too late.

EOho8Pw.png

It is *a* flu, but one without vaccines. It's also not killing many of the young. Not to minimize the tragic deaths at all, but look at the death stats in Italy to get a feel for who it's killing.

Culturally it feels like here in the US we only started taking it seriously last week, collectively. The time to take it seriously was January. Right now, to act is better than to not act, but it's still too late.

I appreciate your point but not sure it is helpful for it to be described as just a flu. The PM's description of it as the "worst public health crisis for a generation" is telling.

Why does it matter who it kills? Most on this messageboard have relatives and friends who are in the higher age risk category.

I think my posts have been pretty clear that I'm not taking it lightly. I think it's as bad as anything globally since H1N1 which *as of now* was worse but might well be beaten.

It matters for containing the pandemic. It of course doesn't matter at all at a moral level. (Like many others I've cracked the "one bad winter" joke about politics and voting patterns, but of course that's in poor taste and when you actually see an age-targeted illness, you can't help but feel guilty.) It also matters because one of the reasons the so-called Spanish flu was so feared was that it was correlated *against* youthful, robust health. And finally, it matters because with asymptomatic spreading, even those of us who are (relatively) young and spry can contract the virus, show no symptoms, visit a grandparent or give change to an elderly customer or bump into some old boy in the pie queue at Cappielow... then we cough three days later, and three days after that he's in intensive care.

Nothing I've said should be taken in any way to mean I'm minimizing the human toll of the *tragedy*. But we do need to recognize that it means a lot in terms of how the disease spreads and how it's regarded.

EOho8Pw.png

Archived