ayr v morton - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

ayr v morton

beetee

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huge potential for a shame game here.

Wouldn't be the first at Ayr for us.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

It's an omen. A previous shame game at Ayr resulted in the board signing a few players didn't it?

A fantasy of a small group of fans who believe that they have far more influence than they actually do. 

The reality is that Tidser picked up an injury in the week leading up to that game, and Lamie picked up an injury in the first half of that game. We signed Gunning and Murdoch on short term deals to cover those injuries. A couple of months later we managed to sign Murdoch till the end of the season, while Gunning left in January. 

We are absolutely pish right, we all know that, but......we are 9/2 for the win which is tempting me!

Ayr have been equally as shit as us over the last 10-12 games and we do surprise ourselves every so often, like down at Queens and at Firhill this season so its a big price considering they have been so poor too.

Big Denny to come back in and grab the winner, #believe #together

(most likely a 5-0 scudding)

A fantasy of a small group of fans who believe that they have far more influence than they actually do.

The reality is that Tidser picked up an injury in the week leading up to that game, and Lamie picked up an injury in the first half of that game. We signed Gunning and Murdoch on short term deals to cover those injuries. A couple of months later we managed to sign Murdoch till the end of the season, while Gunning left in January.

Erm yes, because we all know that the club always signs quality replacements when an injury happens during the season. Our top-dollar replacement for Denny Johnstone this season is a testament to that.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Erm yes, because we all know that the club always signs quality replacements when an injury happens during the season. Our top-dollar replacement for Denny Johnstone this season is a testament to that.

Duffy stated at the time that he hadn't spent all of his budget, and that he chose to make additional signings because of our injury problems. Our situation this season, which has been discussed at length, is not the same as our situation that season.

Duffy stated at the time that he hadn't spent all of his budget, and that he chose to make additional signings because of our injury problems. Our situation this season, which has been discussed at length, is not the same as our situation that season.

fact based analasis lol

I couldn’t care less what Jim Duffy stated at the time - he’s hardly going to say anything other than that. Looking at both his and the club’s long track record of ‘addressing injury problems’ though shows an enormous list of Luke Donnelly type ringers being brought in as cover rather than massive upgrades (in Gunning’s case) on what we already had in the first team. If you think that the club or Duffy were uniquely willing to address a bog-standard, two week injury absence by paying Gunning’s substantial wages until January in that case then you’re utterly deluded.

Indeed, if the budget was there all along then they could of course have signed both players for the starting eleven in July. Then we could have launched a genuine title challenge instead of pissing the first few weeks of the league campaign against the wall by losing to relegation fodder like Ayr United. Strange how that straightforward approach trumps the club and Duffy’s supposedly masterful, 4D chess approach to the transfer market.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I couldn’t care less what Jim Duffy stated at the time - he’s hardly going to say anything other than that. Looking at both his and the club’s long track record of ‘addressing injury problems’ though shows an enormous list of Luke Donnelly type ringers being brought in as cover rather than massive upgrades (in Gunning’s case) on what we already had in the first team. If you think that the club or Duffy were uniquely willing to address a bog-standard, two week injury absence by paying Gunning’s substantial wages until January in that case then you’re utterly deluded.

Indeed, if the budget was there all along then they could of course have signed both players for the starting eleven in July. Then we could have launched a genuine title challenge instead of pissing the first few weeks of the league campaign against the wall by losing to relegation fodder like Ayr United. Strange how that straightforward approach trumps the club and Duffy’s supposedly masterful, 4D chess approach to the transfer market.

you missed out erm - lol

Duffy should have followed the much lauded Robbie Neilson approach to the transfer market in my opinion.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I don't know the exact financial ins and outs of those deals. I don't think Murdoch came in for anything like big money - I don't think he was ever a particularly high earner at Morton. Gunning was on the record that it certainly wasn't the money that brought him to Morton. But yeah, maybe Duffy made a case for extra funds for those players - we all know that sometimes Dougie could be convinced to do that. As I said, I don't know details, but I doubt we weren't breaking the bank. 

There's nothing here to suggest that the board panicked because of what happened at Ayr. As Duffy explained at the time, we had a number of injuries and this reached a point by the Ayr game when we needed to rectify matters. This was certainly evident in the performance at Ayr, and by how stretched the squad was in that game. The players I mentioned were out for about 2 months. I don't know where you are getting two weeks from. 

If Duffy used up all his budget in the summer, then he wouldn't have been able to address specific issues in September. Gunning wouldn't have signed in the summer in any case. 

There is no reason to doubt what Duffy said about why the signings were made.

On Gunning:

Morton boss Jim Duffy told gmfc.net: “We have signed Gavin Gunning until January and I’m thrilled to have been able to bring him to the club.

“It wasn’t a priority – as I mentioned a few weeks ago we understand we need to look a little bit more in the forward areas, in terms of a goal threat – but with injuries to Ricki [Lamie], Conor [Pepper], Lee Kilday struggling and Mark [Russell] suspended, it forced our hand to go and see if we could add a player who would complement us.

On Murdoch:

Ton boss Jim Duffy told gmfc.net: “Obviously I’m delighted to be able to bring in another talented young player who can add competition to that area of the pitch.

“We know when everyone is back fit and ready, we will be really strong in that area, but at this moment in time we’re really stretched by injuries and I felt it was important to try and bring someone else in to help us compete.

“It was something we’d spoke about for the last couple of weeks with us assessing the injuries, with Michael Tidser and Conor Pepper in the midfield area and moving Thomas O’Ware back in [to defence] with Lee Kilday and Ricki Lamie out.

“The only two natural midfielders we have available at this moment in time is Ross Forbes and Jamie Lindsay, and we had people recommended to us, but I would rather have somebody I know of and knew about.

Archived