Save the Ton - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Save the Ton

There was a Frontline Scotland documentary about Morton & Hugh Scott from around that time. There was a Professor Bert Moorhouse arguing that Scottish Football has too many clubs and Steve Withers being the Morton supporter that was being interviewed. I have looked for it on YouTube but couldn't find it.

*insert signature here*

Shame to see the Cowshed in such a mess there. How did that happen?

Abandoned plan to put seats in it. They got a Football Trust grant for replacing asbestos sheets with corrugated box steel sheeting however that money disappeared.

*insert signature here*

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EU6v_KUXYAEZWHi?format=jpg&name=large

This was the "plan" for the Cowshed before things went tits up. Whether there were any actual plans for it to be converted into an all seater stand I suppose only Scott knows, but I always thought it looked a bit shit compared to other constructions around the time. Very "Hampden" with it not being much more than seats bolted onto old terracing. Having 20+ years of the Cowshed since has been a good thing.

He did convert the bench seating in the main stand into bucket seats, much to the consternation of a generation of away fans visiting Cappielow. That's about the best thing he ever did, then.

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75)  ;) .

This was the "plan" for the Cowshed before things went tits up. Whether there were any actual plans for it to be converted into an all seater stand I suppose only Scott knows, but I always thought it looked a bit shit compared to other constructions around the time. Very "Hampden" with it not being much more than seats bolted onto old terracing. Having 20+ years of the Cowshed since has been a good thing.

He did convert the bench seating in the main stand into bucket seats, much to the consternation of a generation of away fans visiting Cappielow. That's about the best thing he ever did, then.

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75) ;) .

Looks absolutely shite. Thank f*ck that never happened!

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75)  ;) .

Of course it looked a bit shit. It looks like an old jakey turps nudger came up with that 'Artist Impression' on Microsoft paint.

*insert signature here*

Photo credit to Chris McNulty on Twitter (@Chrismcnulty75) ;) .

There was also a model of a stand that sat in the board room that I’m sure was different to this one - from memory, more like the stand at Firhill.

There was also a model of a stand that sat in the board room that I’m sure was different to this one - from memory, more like the stand at Firhill.

Aye, that was first shown to shareholders at the AGM in the Tontine in July/August 1997 by John Wilson when he introduced Hugh Scott as the new owner of the club.

It was my first AGM as my gran had bought me shares for my 18th birthday and I remember thinking it was weird that they’d put so much planning into a stand at a time that money from the Football Trust was drying up (the National Lottery at the time was about 2 years old and had killed the football pools which contributed to the Trust) and they were selling up to a new owner.

There was also a PowerPoint presentation of how it would look inside the stand and it’s concourse, which looked quite impressive for it’s time.

For all you can blame Scott for asset stripping the club and attempting to kill it, Wilson and co. really have to take the blame for not striking whilst the iron was hot in terms of taking advantage of Football Trust grants in order to redevelop the ground in the wake of the Taylor Report.

Wasn't there plans for a 'Jimmy Cowan Stand' to replace the Cowshed around this era, which was a stand similar to the Jackie Husband Stand. It was a John Wilson era project rather than a Hugh Scott one.

*insert signature here*

Wasn't there plans for a 'Jimmy Cowan Stand' to replace the Cowshed around this era, which was a stand similar to the Jackie Husband Stand. It was a John Wilson era project rather than a Hugh Scott one.

Can remember two things from around this era - the model stand mentioned above that you are referring to and a drawing in the Tele of a stand arching over Sinclair Street.

Never seen that video before, good watch.

Wonder how many of tbose there that day still attend?

We were averaging nearly 3000 15 years ago in League 1, its half that now.

Mckinnon and co have a huge job on their hands to encourage the stay away fans back.

Archived