World Cup 2018 Thread - Page 3 - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

World Cup 2018 Thread

Couldn't have put it better myself, except to say that the heights he did hit with Barcelona were otherworldly and a joy to watch. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth here.

Looking forward to Germany absolutely mauling Mexico later.

EOho8Pw.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Contrast Santos' organisation of Portugal against Sampaoli's management of Argentina. Santos has one of the two best players in the world at his disposal but he doesn't try to build the team round him; he plays to the strengths of the defence and midfield as a whole, trusting that the star player will deliver within the framework of the team, and Ronaldo does to a ridiculously high standard because he's so fucking good.

Sampaoli has one of the two best players in the world and makes no attempt to set up his side to the strengths of the rest of the players, instead basing everything around Messi and the quality attackers around him in the hope their individual brilliance will make up for frailties of the defence and midfield. This allows teams to double on Messi and entirely nullify Argentina, as you saw yesterday when every single time an Argentina player was in space they were looking for the pass to Messi over far more obvious passes no matter how crowded out he was, because they've been taught to be dependent on him.

This isn't just bad for Argentina or their other forwards whose considerable talent is wasted, it's bad for Messi because it guarantees that he'll get no space and he has no opportunity to do anything at all from open play, only ever picking up the ball with two players right beside him or with two banks of four in front of him. Sampaoli's determination to depend on Messi is what's wasting him and ruining Argentina's chances.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Looking forward to Germany absolutely mauling Mexico later.

Mexico will be happy if Germany keep mauling them like this  ;)

Some Teutonic improvement needed. 

It's eerily quiet tbf, although I imagine 45 minutes from now the neighborhood will be alive with pickup trucks trailing flags and playing norteno music. And to be fair if they pull off the win they deserve it. Germany have been atrocious and so tentative.

EOho8Pw.png

It's eerily quiet tbf, although I imagine 45 minutes from now the neighborhood will be alive with pickup trucks trailing flags and playing norteno music. And to be fair if they pull off the win they deserve it. Germany have been atrocious and so tentative.

I thought you were building a wall.  :blink:

<span style='font-size: 14px;'><em class='bbc'>"That LinwoodTon's a c*nt, eh?"</em></span>

Brazil were absolutely pish there. They created very little and their decision making in the final third was absolutely abysmal. Switzerland deserved their point but they don’t look like anything special either.

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

This is why I'm still stunned that Brazil were the bookies' favorites in the UK. I know it's based on the book and a lot of mug punters always put a tenner on them regardless but they've been ordinary for years and their run of form leading up to the tournament, while quite good, depended on very narrow margins. Semis at best for them.

EOho8Pw.png

Three full days of action - as well as Thursday's exhibition match - and the only European side to have lost to assorted, gubbins 'rest of the world' opposition is Germany. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Three full days of action - as well as Thursday's exhibition match - and the only European side to have lost to assorted, gubbins 'rest of the world' opposition is Germany.

See Italia 90 when favourites Argentina were beaten 1-0 by Cameroon in the opening game, a lot of people were quick to write them off on the basis of that game, but they still made it to the final only losing out to late penalty from Andreas Bremhe.

I wouldn't be quick to discount Germany, they will make the semis at the very least.

*insert signature here*

See Italia 90 when favourites Argentina were beaten 1-0 by Cameroon in the opening game, a lot of people were quick to write them off on the basis of that game, but they still made it to the final only losing out to late penalty from Andreas Bremhe.

I wouldn't be quick to discount Germany, they will make the semis at the very least.

I don't think they'll go far at all unless they drop Ozil - who is largely dining out on what he was good at eight years ago - and find more directness to their play. Having to throw on Mario Gomez to try and salvage the game is a collective minter for that nation.

The conclusion that we can make from the games so far is that European football continues to stomp all over its rivals - with South America's biggest threats being held by second-rate teams and the usual hipster's choice teams like Nigeria being effortlessly swatted aside. The sooner that qualification becomes an open play-off format*, the better for not having the likes of Costa Rica showing as much ambition as Brechin City in the second tier. 

*like the plan for a '48 team' World Cup, only with the play-offs being held the previous November instead of at the tournament itself

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Jpn get a well deserved 2nd. 

FT 2-1 to Jpn. Much the better side in the 2nd with the fancied Colombia doing nothing. If Colombians still shoot their failures then a few of these guys must be hoping that Moscow Duty Free do bullet proof vests.

Archived