The Next Scottish Manager - General Football & Other Sports - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Next Scottish Manager

I know for some the national team only produces a shrug of the shoulders but I still have faith the current crop of lads will get us through the qualifying stages of a tournament in the not too distant future. It would of course help if we had a competent manager and while I appreciate the job will not necessarily attract the 'best' some of the names now in the frame are scary. Seriously who would get excited with McLeish or Mackay or Caldwell? If Clarke was interested he could be worth the risk or even Smith, on the basis it would wind up Rangers fans. Whoever it is I hope they focus on the future. For now we remain watching in as others play on the world stage.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One name that I saw today was fucking disturbing to say the least: Yogi Hughes.

If we are going to go for a leftfield appointment then I would rather it was someone like Tony Pulis, Neil Warnock or Mark Hughes, someone with good experience in the EPL; or someone who would be ideal and available - Claudio Ranieri.

Fuck all the usual 'Jobs for the boys' cliques who have got us nowhere over the past 20 years.

Clarke has benefitted from commanding respect from his players and former players and being able to make good transfers based on that. With international football that's not an option. But in a way he's a victim of his own success if I'm judging him this way because he's done great in other respect as well. So I shouldn't complain. My only real concern with him is that if he does well, he leaves for a job in England midway through a campaign.

Agree that Ranieri would be an absolutely huge gamble. I don't want to take away too much from one of the greatest managerial feats of all time but it's still 100% accurate to say his managerial record is extremely mixed.

EOho8Pw.png

I know for some the national team only produces a shrug of the shoulders but I still have faith the current crop of lads will get us through the qualifying stages of a tournament in the not too distant future. 

That's not exactly an achievement, given that absolute dung like Hungary have already managed to qualify for the ridiculously expanded European Championships, and more dross will now get in through the back-door known as the gubbins 'Nations League'. Scotland have about a one in two chance of making the European Championship, regardless of who they appoint as manager. 

They have a 0% chance of qualifying and doing anything of note in a World Cup though. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Clarke has benefitted from commanding respect from his players and former players and being able to make good transfers based on that. With international football that's not an option. But in a way he's a victim of his own success if I'm judging him this way because he's done great in other respect as well. So I shouldn't complain. My only real concern with him is that if he does well, he leaves for a job in England midway through a campaign.

Agree that Ranieri would be an absolutely huge gamble. I don't want to take away too much from one of the greatest managerial feats of all time but it's still 100% accurate to say his managerial record is extremely mixed.

No it’s not, he signed most of the players that laid the foundation for Chelsea’s strongest team and he has a great eye for finding and deloping talent. He does fall down in that he overthinks the tactical side of things, hence his nickname “ The Tinkerman” ( howls of outrage from St Toby at the mere mention of that word) but under him I think Scotland would have some chance of having a cohesive and competent team from the moderate talent at its disposal.

Clarke's obviously done a good job at Killie and has a good CV as a coach but would anyone really have wanted him before he took the job he's in now? That's not taking away from the job he's doing - it's just not a lot to go off.

Clarke's obviously done a good job at Killie and has a good CV as a coach but would anyone really have wanted him before he took the job he's in now? That's not taking away from the job he's doing - it's just not a lot to go off.

It's a fair point, before the Kilmarnock job I would have said he was a reasonable but hardly exciting candidate.

EOho8Pw.png

It's a fair point, before the Kilmarnock job I would have said he was a reasonable but hardly exciting candidate.

The problem is there are no obvious exciting candidates. The reality is most 'top' managers prefer the day to day life of a club manager with the money that goes with that role. The national team may be high profile but hardly a glamorous post with the likelihood most will see it as a stepping stone to another job. In the circumstances, maybe Clarke is as good as it gets. Mentioning Hughes for the role suggests a degree of desperation.

The problem is there are no obvious exciting candidates. The reality is most 'top' managers prefer the day to day life of a club manager with the money that goes with that role. The national team may be high profile but hardly a glamorous post with the likelihood most will see it as a stepping stone to another job. In the circumstances, maybe Clarke is as good as it gets. Mentioning Hughes for the role suggests a degree of desperation.

Steve Clarke has a good coaching pedigree having worked alongside Ruud Guillit, Gianluca Vialli, Jose Mourinho, Avram Grant, Gianfranco Zola, Kenny Dalglish and (albeit briefly) Brendan Rodgers; as well as managing West Bromwich in the EPL and Reading in the Championship; and has turned around the fortunes of Kilmarnock in Scotland. He is highly thought of throughout the game, and he seems like a level headed kind of guy who the players would respect as he's been to the top in Europe as a player with Chelsea (ECWC Winner 1998) and as a coach (ECC finalist 2008)

I reckon that Clarke really wants the Scotland job, and the reason for him coming up here to Killie is to put himself in the shop window for it.

He looked a right state on the TV a few months ago, hope he's alright. Then again, the SFA may be incompetent but surely not so much that they'd appoint a guy who's unwell.

Massively uninspiring appointment, the absolute best you can say is that he's a safe pair of hands. If he can repeat his relative success from his last spell in charge that will be acceptable but we really need to start qualifying for tournaments, not having near-misses.

EOho8Pw.png

He looked a right state on the TV a few months ago, hope he's alright. Then again, the SFA may be incompetent but surely not so much that they'd appoint a guy who's unwell.

Massively uninspiring appointment, the absolute best you can say is that he's a safe pair of hands. If he can repeat his relative success from his last spell in charge that will be acceptable but we really need to start qualifying for tournaments, not having near-misses.

He's been in the media a fair bit lately, mostly his mates touting him for 'a joab' whether it's the Rangers job, Scotland and even the Leeds one. I think he's grown a bit fond of the old Ernie juice in recent times.

The bit in bold - he's yesterday's man. If he was still a viable option then he would have got a big payday at one of the big Championship clubs who have been looking for a gaffer in recent times. I might be proven wrong, he may be another Jim Duffy, but I think it's going to be more of the same.

He's been in the media a fair bit lately, mostly his mates touting him for 'a joab' whether it's the Rangers job, Scotland and even the Leeds one. I think he's grown a bit fond of the old Ernie juice in recent times.

The bit in bold - he's yesterday's man. If he was still a viable option then he would have got a big payday at one of the big Championship clubs who have been looking for a gaffer in recent times. I might be proven wrong, he may be another Jim Duffy, but I think it's going to be more of the same.

Ernie juice? I’ll just have half a bottle of Blue Nun please.

Archived