Team of the Decade - Attackers - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Team of the Decade - Attackers

Admin

TOTD  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Attackers

• Peter Weatherson
    • Brian Graham
    • Kevin Kelbie
    • Derek Lyle
    • Archie Campbell
    • Peter MacDonald
    • Colin 'Alan' McMenamin
    • Kabba-Modou Cham
    • Dougie Imrie
    • Stefan McCluskey
    • Declan McManus
    • Bobby Barr
    • Denny Johnstone
    • Paul McMullan
    • Jai Quitongo
    • Aidan Nesbitt
    • Gary Oliver
    • Kudus Oyenuga
    • Lawrence Shankland
    • Scott Tiffoney
    • Bob McHugh
    • Greg Kiltie
    • Nicky Cadden
    • Cameron Salkeld
    • John Sutton

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Went for Peaso, Imrie, and - with hesitation, and I might well amend it - Declan. It's between him, Nesbitt, Kiltie, and Cadden for the last spot.

Had Johnstone not been signed for a disastrous second spell he could also haveb een under consideration. Gary Oliver gets something resembling an honourable mention.

What a dire decade it's been, for the most part. There have been some highlights but not many.

EOho8Pw.png

Gary Oliver!? 13 goals in 80 games... and he didn’t create much either. By no means terrible, but a player that just didn’t have much of an end product. Lower level Championship is about where he belongs.

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

MacDonald, Imrie and Kiltie are open and shut, beyond debate picks here. Johnstone and McManus had excellent seasons but anyone actually saying they were nearly as good as any of those three is at it. No one else is even worthy of consideration.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Anyone picking Weatherson is doing so based on his contributions in the noughties rather than the last decade.

He’s a player who deserves to be remembered for his major contribution to the good times of that decade rather than the all too frequent failures, as opposed to many players he won a league title with who are still rightly viewed as utter tossers despite that season, and continued to be a solid servant to the club into this decade. He played a positive role in the season where we achieved our highest league position of the last 24 years and earned the right to be considered a good servant to the club.

However, if we’re talking about 2010-19 alone, the following players had better First Division/Championship goals to games ratios:

Brian Graham

David Witteveen

Derek Lyle

Peter MacDonald

Archie Campbell

Martin Hardie

Dougie Imrie

Rowan Vine

Denny Johnstone

Declan McManus

Lawrence Shankland

Bob McHugh

Greg Kiltie

And that’s discounting John Baird types who played so few games that three goals could skew the ratio massively.

Obviously no one is going to argue that the likes of Lyle, Shankland or Rowan fucking Vine are more deserving of a place than Weatherson in the grand scheme of things, but it highlights that in this decade alone he just wasn’t at the same level as he’d been previously and shouldn’t be part of the conversation when we have players the calibre of MacDonald and Kiltie to consider.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It depends a lot on what your criteria are. Did Kiltie save us from relegation? I'd say that's 70% likely. But Declan 100% dragged us to that League One title.

Well aye, you could very reasonably argue McManus was more important to us in 14/15 than Kiltie was in 18/19. However even if you’re making that argument, McManus was doing it in League One while Kiltie was doing it in the Championship.

I think people actually underrated McManus’ contribution when he came back to us at this level, but still, Kiltie by a mile given the choice between the two.

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Well aye, you could very reasonably argue McManus was more important to us in 14/15 than Kiltie was in 18/19. However even if you’re making that argument, McManus was doing it in League One while Kiltie was doing it in the Championship.

I think people actually underrated McManus’ contribution when he came back to us at this level, but still, Kiltie by a mile given the choice between the two.

I don't remember being particularly enamoured with McManus' contribution in the Championship. Obviously expectations were high, but his time here in the Championship highlighted how one dimensional his game was. Championship defenders are obviously fitter and, in my opinion, sussed out how to nullify him quicker than he was expecting. His link up play and ability to penetrate a low block weren't good enough, and he didn't improve these parts of his game quickly enough to make any sort of real impact. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I don't remember being particularly enamoured with McManus' contribution in the Championship. Obviously expectations were high, but his time here in the Championship highlighted how one dimensional his game was. Championship defenders are obviously fitter and, in my opinion, sussed out how to nullify him quicker than he was expecting. His link up play and ability to penetrate a low block weren't good enough, and he didn't improve these parts of his game quickly enough to make any sort of real impact.

Suppose it depends on what criteria you rate the team against. I agree with what you say but I picked him because of the impact and the fact we probably wouldn't have got promoted without him.

I like Cadden better and rate him more highly but think someone who's had an impact like McManus deserves a place in a poll like this.

Archived