The Easdale’s Shares - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

The Easdale’s Shares

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about the Easdales, love then or loathe them, their record of turning businesses around is highly impressive.

Could they do it at Morton?, I don't know but I would like to see them try, in the absence of any other serious contenders.

I'm not convinced that i'd enjoy their methods of running Morton, however you'd like to think that they have far too much business interests in Inverclyde to do any real damage to Morton without huge ramifications for their other businesses.

Alternatively, people need buses and i'm not sure running Morton in to the ground would stop anyone from using their services.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

I'm not convinced that i'd enjoy their methods of running Morton, however you'd like to think that they have far too much business interests in Inverclyde to do any real damage to Morton without huge ramifications for their other businesses.

Alternatively, people need buses and i'm not sure running Morton in to the ground would stop anyone from using their services.

Not enough people care about Morton, or have the bottle to take them on. I wouldnt imagin'e anyway. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

What methods are you referring to?

Are you satisfied with the current BoD's method of running Morton? Promise the earth, take the fans for mugs, hide in a bunker, hire Coco the clown to mismanage a half-decent squad...

One thing about the Easdales, love then or loathe them, their record of turning businesses around is highly impressive.

Could they do it at Morton?, I don't know but I would like to see them try, in the absence of any other serious contenders.

The bit in bold. There seems to be unilateral resignation amongst Morton supporters that 'thu Eeeeeeeze-dales' are the only people who have any wealth and/or interest in Morton.

Here is a guy who is considerably richer than those two, and has previously expressed an interest in Morton:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/morton/4218680.stm

I think that we rue the day we never took his interest more seriously, instead of Dougie's "Fnarr, fnarr Trifle etc" comments in the media afterwards. This is a guy worth over £100million and has made a large chunk of his fortune from international TV shows about turning around failing businesses. Instead he rolled out the red carpet for total charlatans like Alastair Donald, Tommy Coakley etc.

*insert signature here*

My concern is that they try and move us to IBM..

I know there has been stories about this - and generally i have dismissed - but i can't help get a feeling that there's more than meets the eye with those two and a Morton takeover. 

Now that Cappielow is Premiership compliant I can't see anyone stumping up a seven figure sum to move us out to the sticks for the sake of it. The only way it would be feasible would be if they built a new stadium alongside a training ground and indoor/office facilities available for public hire and Community use. 

Not enough people in the McGills service areas care about Morton for them to worry too much about pissing off Morton fans. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

The bit in bold. There seems to be unilateral resignation amongst Morton supporters that 'thu Eeeeeeeze-dales' are the only people who have any wealth and/or interest in Morton.

Here is a guy who is considerably richer than those two, and has previously expressed an interest in Morton:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/morton/4218680.stm

I think that we rue the day we never took his interest more seriously, instead of Dougie's "Fnarr, fnarr Trifle etc" comments in the media afterwards. This is a guy worth over £100million and has made a large chunk of his fortune from international TV shows about turning around failing businesses. Instead he rolled out the red carpet for total charlatans like Alastair Donald, Tommy Coakley etc.

Sadly I think Ramsay will have moved onto bigger and better things by now. He now has the money to buy into clubs of a far bigger standing in the world than Morton, and seems to be based permanently in the US. I could see him buying into a football club but I can't see it being Morton. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

On the Morton Fans page on Facebook a chap seems fairly convinced Cappielow is not compliant with Premiership regulations, arguing that terracing must be of the ‘rail seating’ type. I recall Celtic being granted permission for theirs as a trial.

In any case, would welcome some of the much needed improvements at the ground at some point (tv gantry, working hand driers and/or paper towels, hot running water)

He's talking out his hoop.

The requirement for both the Premiership and the Championship is that the stadium must achieve at least the Bronze Standard by the SFA's licensing criteria.

If we weren't permitted to play in the Premiership, we wouldn't be allowed to play in the Championship either.

AFAIK, the only SPFL stadium that doesn't reach that criteria is Cliftonhill.

See page 42 of the link below;

https://spfl.co.uk/cms-content/images/shares/pdfs/Rules%20and%20Regulations%20SPFL%208_10_2018.pdf

Dougie Rae states the approaches for the club yet some fans were so blinded by him that they would argue there was no bits or interest in the club.

If Crawford gets a sniff of an offer he is off but does he write off the debt his family has built?

In practical terms you obviously would need tweaks - a permanent camera gantry for example would be essential - but yes, under the rules Cappielow is compliant and with that in mind it’s a massive no to moving to a shoebox like St Mirren have at IBM.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

Cappielow is the oldest ground in use within Scottish football and the site should be protected as a key part of our national heritage. It shouldn’t be up to Iron Man or any other here today, hounded tomorrow chancer to pull the plug on that and move us to a gubbins shoebox.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

I'd rather see us develop Cappielow than move. Always think they could build a new mainstand where the Cowshed is and build new terracing where the mainstand is. Plenty of room currently where the Cowshed is to develop whereas they can't do anything with the current mainstand. Aware that this would cost a fortune right enough!

I'm mildly surprise that Cappielow, or at least parts of it, isn't/aren't listed.  The main stand must be something of a museum piece, dating back as it does to the 1920s I think(fairly sure it used to belong to Leith Athletic).

You're right about the main stand not having much potential for development - clearly that side of the ground would accommodate a fairly shallow terracing but not much more, and it might be better to have a stand but with fewer rows of seats to give better legroom.  That way the cowshed terracing could be kept with the seated area at the front, and just stick a new cantilever roof over it so that you can have a camera position up the back (or maybe splash out and have it at high level suspended off the roof structure with access from the rear.  if you want to remove the Cowshed terracing and have facilities underneath, that's a lot more expensive.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

I'm mildly surprise that Cappielow, or at least parts of it, isn't/aren't listed. The main stand must be something of a museum piece, dating back as it does to the 1920s I think(fairly sure it used to belong to Leith Athletic).

You're right about the main stand not having much potential for development - clearly that side of the ground would accommodate a fairly shallow terracing but not much more, and it might be better to have a stand but with fewer rows of seats to give better legroom. That way the cowshed terracing could be kept with the seated area at the front, and just stick a new cantilever roof over it so that you can have a camera position up the back (or maybe splash out and have it at high level suspended off the roof structure with access from the rear. if you want to remove the Cowshed terracing and have facilities underneath, that's a lot more expensive.

Anyone can contact Historic Scotland relative to any building and suggest or request that it be listed. The problem is that if it is then listed the requirements on the owners to preserve it or the listed parts, depending on the category of listing can be quite onerous and indeed can in some circumstances prevent modernisation or make it much more expensive.

VT's point above is interesting and I wonder if to date any of the older and traditional stadiums have listed status.

However it is a case of be careful what you wish for, because if Historic Scotland become involved and decide to list they then have, in effect a final say on anything the club might want to do relative to the listed parts and also have the right to insist that they be maintained, at the owner's expense to a required standard.

Edit to add:

I should say that my last dealings with Historic Scotland were now about six years ago, so things may have changed. These certainly were the way things were then and if anything appeared to be moving in the direction of becoming more stringent.

Archived