Which players would you keep - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Which players would you keep

Interested

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we stay up I'd keep Chris Millar and that is all, get the rest punted. 

If we go down, I'd keep Millar, McAlister, Tumilty, McHugh, Gaston and Buchanan. 

Edit - I'd forgotten about Kiltie, I'd absolutely have him back but doubt we'd have any chance of that. 

Up - Millar, Kiltie and McCrorrie if we can. Wouldn't be averse to keeping McHugh as a backup. Obviously Lyon and the other young guys sniffing about the first team. Wouldn't be upset if Telfer and Waddell stayed.

Down - Millar, Telfer, Tumilty, Waddell, McHugh and Gaston.

If we stay up I'd keep Chris Millar and that is all, get the rest punted. 

If we go down, I'd keep Millar, McAlister, Tumilty, McHugh, Gaston and Buchanan. 

I've been a critic of Telfer this season, but I think he would do well in League One. Kilday, Oliver, Thomson and Iredale would do a decent job at that level as well. 

Can we revisit the previous thread were some were suggesting keeping almost the entire team?

Nobody has done anything near warranting being allowed to stay so happy if they all went.

Only exception being Lyon as it's been his breakout season and has done alright considering. 

I heard Gaston has the option of taking on more hours in his coaching role at Killie and because of this the club think he'll be an easy one to get off the books. Grim when you're actively trying to get someone who has kept a part time job at the fxcking Time Capsule to supplement his wages off your books.

Relegation should mean only one thing to those who secured it. Unemployment.

No doubt in a few pages time well have arguments for everyone to be signed up. That's what always happens with Morton fans.

The experienced players like Millar and McAlister should be the first two shown the door.

Absolutely agree. Two of the most experienced players in the league, no doubt two of the highest paid players at Morton, and they have been a key part of an absolute shambles of a team. 

Also, they are only going to get even slower next season. Would be happy enough to see both go... 

"When the seagulls follow the trawler, it's because they think sardines will be thrown into the sea."

I heard Gaston has the option of taking on more hours in his coaching role at Killie and because of this the club think he'll be an easy one to get off the books. Grim when you're actively trying to get someone who has kept a part time job at the fxcking Time Capsule to supplement his wages off your books.

Drivel.

He will be an easy one to get off the books because he is out of contract in a matter of weeks like most of them, nothing to do with his Killie gig.

And yes, he is most certainly keeping his Time Capsule gig to stop him having to use foodbanks, 100%. Nothing to do with being qualified in it and enjoying it.

Iredale is young and low on confidence but has the raw tools to be a decent player at this level, but his game understanding is diabolical. He's constantly being talked through games due to constantly being in the wrong position or he's making the wrong choices.

What he needs is proper coaching from a competent manager who instills confidence and knowledge in their players. Fat chance of that happened with these clowns in charge, but if we get rid of them then I'd be happy to keep him as back up.

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

Goalkeepers; 

McCrorie - I haven't seen much of him, but the reports seen to suggest he's dipped in form since first arriving. I wouldn't look to renew his loan deal. 

Gaston - If we go down then I'd keep him, as he was excellent in our last League One campaign. If we stay up then release him and go down the route of one outstanding goalkeeper and a youth/loan signing as cover. Gaston doesn't fit either of those criteria. 

Defenders; 

Buchanan - Release. If he can develop, learn to concentrate and improve his reading of the game he could be a good Championship defender, but it's time to cut ties. 

Waddell - As above, except I'd keep him if we do go down. If his reading of the game and add some consistency to his game he has all the attributes to become a good Championship defender. 

Iredale - A tough one, quite similar to my position on Oliver this time last season. There is potential there, however this season he hasn't offered nearly enough, albeit he was limited mitigation that he hasn't been given a clear run of games in one position. He isn't good enough defensively to play centre back or left back in a back four, his tactical awareness isn't good enough as a wing back in a back five, and his delivery is rank rotten when further forward or at wing back. I'd probably keep him and try to loan him out if we stay up, or have him in the first team if we go down. 

Kilday - Release. He's a shadow of his former self and I can't see him reaching that level anytime soon. 

Tumilty - Release. A frustrating player who was a clear weak link in the first half of the season. 

McKeown - Release. 

Strapp - Keep. Use the friendlies and League Cup games to determine whether he will be a suitable first choice (if we're in League One then definitely have him as first choice) or if we need a more accomplished player ahead of him. 

Midfielders - 

McAlister, Lyon and f**king Dykes - Already signed up. 

Miller - Keep, and get a manager in who will utilise him properly as a holding midfielder. We don't take advantage of Miller's excellent passing range nearly enough and hopefully we can start doing so. 

Telfer - Another tough one. Depending on his wage demands possible one that's worth persisting with, although he needs to really up his work rate and willingness to cover ground without the ball if he's ever going to make it at a decent level. 

Kiltie - I'd definitely try to keep him, whether he'd fancy it is another matter. I highly doubt he'd be turning out in League One regardless. 

O'Connell - Meh. Only seen him once. 

Attackers - 

Oliver - Release. I said this time last season that this was the biggest season of his career to date and he's contributed precious little this campaign. He's too old to be considered a prospect now and it's time to be cutthroat about it. Not enough goals, assists or general contribution to merit another contract. 

Thomson - Release. Mediocre player who now has a major injury. 

McHugh - Keep. I still think if we get decent service into him he will score goals, but we need to play to his strengths. There should be pressure on him to improve his all round game, but there's not many better poachers at this level. 

Johnstone - Give him a pre season to get himself fit and take it from there. I'd hate to pay him for a year and get no contribution whatsoever from him but we don't want to be stuck paying for another year's treatment if he's f**ked long term. 

Dallas - Get rid. Not good enough for this level. 

Johansson - Release. S***e. 

Hawke - See above. S***e and a snake. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

I beleive we'll look to keep Buchanan as Hawke was banging on about him being a leader and someone for the young players to look up to. 

We'd need to pay about 30k for Waddell if we wanted to buy him - according to Crawford - so can rule that out. Not sure about another loan. 

As for McCrorie, i'd be looking to try secure his services again. Other than the punch last week, i don't really see what he has done wrong. He has spared us from embarrassment on a number of occasions in his short spell. 

TIME FOR CHANGE!

Archived