Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow.. - Page 3 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Former Players Can't Get Tickets At Cappielow..

delboy66

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was Jimmy Liddell, never a superstar but a decent keeper. I had the pleasure of meeting him having a couple of beers and going to a Dumbarton v Morton game with him about five years ago. A gentleman and spoke highly of his time with us.

Remember being 2 nil up against St Mirren and Jimmy being sent off after crunching one of their players ended up being pumped 4 or 5 Two

Pretty sure Barry Evans went in goal after he was sent off.

Understandable if it's before your time. Charlie wasn't a Billy Big Bollocks superstar, but he was a great servant who always gave his all for the jersey and had a decent amount of skill. 

Aye but Brian Wake scored a couple of goals at Firhill to save us from the seasides.

I kinda understand where you're coming from with the 'Big Andy' adulation from some that can get a bit tiresome, but I don't believe for a minute you're genuinely so disinterested in the club's history and some of those who played a part in it. Charlie was a great servant and scored some memorable goals, including a screamer in a win at Ibrox around 1979, that I was lucky enough to witness. Guys like him who played all or the majority of their career for us have earned our respect, IMO.

Yes because we just haven’t heard *enough* about the Morton squad from 1979 already. Let me know who’s in charge of the bucket for your next nostalgiafest, otherwise I couldn’t give a toss anymore tbh.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Yes because we just haven’t heard *enough* about the Morton squad from 1979 already. Let me know who’s in charge of the bucket for your next nostalgiafest, otherwise I couldn’t give a toss anymore tbh.

There used to be (don't see it so much now) a lot of nostalgia about 78-82 team around here, especially when to comes to 'Big Andy', which could be a bit over-the-top and tiresome, I agree.They were a fine team, the best Morton team I've witness by quite some distance, but they weren't late 50s Real Madrid either, as some would have us believe. What they were though were a collective group of hard working and talented individuals, who more then held their own in the top division for three seasons, as part timers. You're obviously intelligent enough to acknowledge and respect that purely on it own merits, and separate it from the disproportionate nostalgic adulation of some, that you find so annoying.

I remember discussing this before and you discounted their achievements because it was in an era when players were less fit, less strong, shorter, and less tactically astute. All of that is undoubtedly true, but on the other hand, IMO players in these days were more naturally gifted and skillful. But I'm pretty sure the current squad would quite comfortably hump the 78-82 team of the day, because I agree that strength, fitness and tactical organisation will succeed over raw ability on it's own..But surely you can only compare a team in any given era against their contemporaries, and on the basis of that, the 78-82 squad are undoubtedly 'better' and more successful that any Morton team you've ever had the pleasure of supporting.

Yeah, yeah, I know, TL:DR. :)

Yeah cos your Brian Wake obsession is hugely entertaining.

"CORNBEEF IS A BELLEND"

There used to be (don't see it so much now) a lot of nostalgia about 78-82 team around here, especially when to comes to 'Big Andy', which could be a bit over-the-top and tiresome, I agree.They were a fine team, the best Morton team I've witness by quite some distance, but they weren't late 50s Real Madrid either, as some would have us believe. What they were though were a collective group of hard working and talented individuals, who more then held their own in the top division for three seasons, as part timers. You're obviously intelligent enough to acknowledge and respect that purely on it own merits, and separate it from the disproportionate nostalgic adulation of some, that you find so annoying.

I remember discussing this before and you discounted their achievements because it was in an era when players were less fit, less strong, shorter, and less tactically astute. All of that is undoubtedly true, but on the other hand, IMO players in these days were more naturally gifted and skillful. But I'm pretty sure the current squad would quite comfortably hump the 78-82 team of the day, because I agree that strength, fitness and tactical organisation will succeed over raw ability on it's own..But surely you can only compare a team in any given era against their contemporaries, and on the basis of that, the 78-82 squad are undoubtedly 'better' and more successful that any Morton team you've ever had the pleasure of supporting.

Yeah, yeah, I know, TL:DR. :)

I very much doubt that.  The late 70s to early 80s team were far better players than what we have now, and although they were part time, they weren't all lacking in fitness.  Ritchie managed to do the minimum necessary in that respect, but the others in the squad were actually pretty fit - they needed to be because the game was a lot more physical in terms of the challenges than is allowed nowadays.  

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Trying to make absolute comparisons across generations is utterly fuckin stupid. Not really surprising some posters can't grasp the nuance of relativity, right enough.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with the idea of some sort of ex-players "club", but not to the point of giving every Michael Ross, Marko Felbermayer and Mark Gavin a freebie whenever they please. Having them on at half-time, website interviews, hospitality appearances etc are all good ways to keep guys who the fans has a bit of affinity with in touch with the club and should be encouraged.

AWMSC

I very much doubt that.  The late 70s to early 80s team were far better players than what we have now, and although they were part time, they weren't all lacking in fitness.  Ritchie managed to do the minimum necessary in that respect, but the others in the squad were actually pretty fit - they needed to be because the game was a lot more physical in terms of the challenges than is allowed nowadays.  

As I said, in terrms of natural ability, they're far better than what we have now (although admittedly I base that only on the two live televised games and highlights). But you cannot argue that players nowadays are far fitter, more athletic, and stronger than players back in the day. I think that's indisputable. And if you couple that with improved tactical organisation, these physical and tactical attributes will trump raw ability every time, IMO. But as EM says, comparing different eras is pointless, only comparisons with contemporaries really matter, and in that the 78-82 squad are clearly considerably better than any squad we've had in the last 50-odd years.

Edit to add, I do think the 78-82 squad would hump the current squad in a 5-a-side tourney, if they were allowed frequent fag breaks. 

There used to be (don't see it so much now) a lot of nostalgia about 78-82 team around here, especially when to comes to 'Big Andy', which could be a bit over-the-top and tiresome, I agree.They were a fine team, the best Morton team I've witness by quite some distance, but they weren't late 50s Real Madrid either, as some would have us believe. What they were though were a collective group of hard working and talented individuals, who more then held their own in the top division for three seasons, as part timers. 

A story that a large section of the Morton fanbase haven't stopped banging on about for fully forty years though, which makes your harrumph about why oh why there hasn't been greater attention paid to them plainly ridiculous. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

A story that a large section of the Morton fanbase haven't stopped banging on about for fully forty years though, which makes your harrumph about why oh why there hasn't been greater attention paid to them plainly ridiculous. 

Yeah but like I said, I'm sure you have the intellect to separate their genuine achievements from the hyperbole, and respect them for that. And I never said that there should be more attention paid to them, just that they shouldn't be disrespected just because some go over-the-top in their adulation.

And on the subject of 'banging on' and over-the-top adulation, as LT pointed out, some may say the same about you and your Brian Wake obsession (who I respect, by the way).

Yeah but like I said, I'm sure you have the intellect to separate their genuine achievements from the hyperbole, and respect them for that. And I never said that there should be more attention paid to them, just that they shouldn't be disrespected just because some go over-the-top in their adulation.

There's no actual 'disrespect' though - you just don't get to force people to give a toss either way about things or people from an irrelevant, bygone era. 

And on the subject of 'banging on' and over-the-top adulation, as LT pointed out, some may say the same about you and your Brian Wake obsession (who I respect, by the way).

If we are still posting in 2048 off the back of an infamous tribute night to OLAS then you'd have a point with that analogy; but we're not and so you don't. 

There's no actual 'disrespect' though - you just don't get to force people to give a toss either way about things or people from an irrelevant, bygone era. 

Simply by calling them irrelevant you're showing disrespect. 

Just out of interest, based on you assertion that bygone eras are irrelevant, how long before that applies to Brian Wake?

It was Jimmy Liddell, never a superstar but a decent keeper. I had the pleasure of meeting him having a couple of beers and going to a Dumbarton v Morton game with him about five years ago. A gentleman and spoke highly of his time with us.

Remember being 2 nil up against St Mirren and Jimmy being sent off after crunching one of their players ended up being pumped 4 or 5 Two

Ended 6-3. Both Barrie Evans and Jim Townsend had turns in goal.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived