Poor wee Rangers - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Poor wee Rangers

pink_panther

How do we feel about our version of Hullo Hullo?

Hello, hello we are the Morton boys,

Hello, hello you'll know us by our noise

We're up to our knees in St. Mirn blood/boys*

Surrender or you'll die.

For we all follow Morton.

*I hear both words when the song is sung.

Granted it's not my favourite, but it isn't racist or sectarian in nature. Dare I say it, Rangers supporters could probably get away with it if they merely exchanged their problematic '****' word with 'Celtic' in a similar to above, however with them, especially when it's the whole of the Broomloan Stand - not everyone will follow the newer 'PC' version, and therein lies the problem.

*insert signature here*

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd bin 'Hello Hello ' to be honest. Fucking hate the idea of us being linked to any one of the ugly sisters in any way.

There's a storm on the horizon

And for that I can't see the sun

For I'll keep a waiting on the pavement

For the ice cream van to come

Cringe. Think VT nailed it on P&B over the weekend -

'The budding Morton da's section whinging about 'cringeworthy' material is always hilarious, given that they clearly spent the entire 1990s lifting Rangers' ditties wholesale and swapping out the sectarian bits for the most shan replacement lyrics possible. Up to our knees in 'Saint Mirren blood' - great job guys!'

Whilst you probably spent the 1990s singing the real thing from the comfort of the Copland Rear, don't you mean?

*insert signature here*

Cringe. Think VT nailed it on P&B over the weekend -

'The budding Morton da's section whinging about 'cringeworthy' material is always hilarious, given that they clearly spent the entire 1990s lifting Rangers' ditties wholesale and swapping out the sectarian bits for the most shan replacement lyrics possible. Up to our knees in 'Saint Mirren blood' - great job guys!'

What a load of shite.

Those same tunes and lyrics were being sung in the mid 70's.

How do we feel about our version of Hullo Hullo?

It’s certainly not got religious connotations, but let’s be honest, if it’s not acceptable to be up to your knees in someone’s blood because of their religion, you can’t really make a case for it being fair game because of the town they’re from or their favourite football team.

I don’t like to consider it as a rebranded version of a Rangers song but the similarities are undeniable, and their version is basically the number one song on the banned list. It’s not clever, and gives an opportunity for those outside of Morton to label us as some sort of Rangers-lite club, much like we do to others when their fans get up to no good.

Whilst it can be defended as not being overtly sectarian, there’s absolutely nothing to justify a song calling Kenny Miller a sad orange bastard. Or calling someone a sad **** bastard for that matter.

Was just looking at P&B:

Dele

Posted Friday at 19:25

That tackle by Jim McAlister is the best bit of football this game has seen.

Wee bit "sectarian" chanting there from the Greenock fans.

Aye, it's funny how she never noticed her own supporters sectarian chanting. It was less than two minutes into the game. In many respects they are very similar to the Old Firm as they turn a blind eye to the wrongdoings of their own supporters.

*insert signature here*

Was just looking at P&B:

Aye, it's funny how she never noticed her own supporters sectarian chanting. It was less than two minutes into the game. In many respects they are very similar to the Old Firm as they turn a blind eye to the wrongdoings of their own supporters.

That’s a Dundee fan, not a Partick fan.

I could say they’re quite keen on the old bangers and mash now and again, but that would be whataboutery.

It’s certainly not got religious connotations, but let’s be honest, if it’s not acceptable to be up to your knees in someone’s blood because of their religion, you can’t really make a case for it being fair game because of the town they’re from or their favourite football team.

I don’t like to consider it as a rebranded version of a Rangers song but the similarities are undeniable, and their version is basically the number one song on the banned list. It’s not clever, and gives an opportunity for those outside of Morton to label us as some sort of Rangers-lite club, much like we do to others when their fans get up to no good.

Whilst it can be defended as not being overtly sectarian, there’s absolutely nothing to justify a song calling Kenny Miller a sad orange bastard. Or calling someone a sad **** bastard for that matter.

Pretty much that. Whenever you challenge Rangers fans on it they always wheel out the Ayrshire version (less so us) as an example of “different rules for different clubs” which is whataboutery of the highest order, but they kind of have a point.

That’s a Dundee fan, not a Partick fan.

I could say they’re quite keen on the old bangers and mash now and again, but that would be whataboutery.

I'm not too au fait with who's who on that messageboard to be honest. I only ever visit on occasions to see what VikingTon has been doing to amuse himself of late.

*insert signature here*

Most football songs are sung by loads of different teams with the words tweaked to suit. On the other hand, The Billy Boys is 100% a Rangers song and definitely originates from them - I dont understand why we sing it at all. It makes us look like a Rangers-adjacent diddy team.

I dont think the removal of the word **** gets us off the hook completely either. The intent of the original song has been about active support for violence against one ethnic/religious group for long periods of its usage. Theres no way of getting away from that.

I'd bin 'Hello Hello ' to be honest. Fucking hate the idea of us being linked to any one of the ugly sisters in any way.

Same.

In the 80s/90s there was also a tendency to sing "Hail Hail the Tons are here" (which has possibly the worst tune in history, but I disgress). It was binned, thankfully.

Been a long, long time since I joined in with Hullo Hullo.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

I think we had a discussion about this a few years ago.  The words are actually "F YOUR pope and F YOUR queen", which makes a significant (possibly too subtle for some) difference to the sentiments expressed.  They are using the pope and the queen as proxies for Celtic and Rangers.  It's an anti-OF song, not a pro-sectarian one.

Can you think of any other two hate crime categories where chanting your mutual resentment towards both would somehow stand up as a credible defence? 

I don't think sectarianism is something that you can attribute to them, particularly as they seem to be attacking both sides of the sectarian divide.

Well no, given that sectarianism is quite clearly an engrained part of Glasgow culture I fail to see how you've come to that all-too-confident conclusion. Why shouldn't we judge them based on the clearly bigoted content of their current songbook, not least as the bulk of their fanbase are far too thick to operate on the level of irony or wit to begin with?  

Get them hounded. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

What a load of shite.

Those same tunes and lyrics were being sung in the mid 70's.

Really not sure how you thought placing its roots in the same era in which Jimmy Savllle and blatant racism were also played for laughs in popular culture would somehow detract from that critique tbh. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Most football songs are sung by loads of different teams with the words tweaked to suit. On the other hand, The Billy Boys is 100% a Rangers song and definitely originates from them - I dont understand why we sing it at all. It makes us look like a Rangers-adjacent diddy team.

I dont think the removal of the word **** gets us off the hook completely either. The intent of the original song has been about active support for violence against one ethnic/religious group for long periods of its usage. Theres no way of getting away from that.

Spot on. 

Singing about being up to my knees in blood has nothing to do with supporting Morton.

And I know, nor does transforming into a bird with gastric problems and flying over Paisley, but there's a difference between humour and rejoicing in threats of violence.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Archived