It's Happening - Page 2 - General Nonsense - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

It's Happening

TRVMP

'It'll close down Helensburgh' is one of the top five reasons to get rid of Trident. 

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the matter of Trident, as with everything else, the point about independence is that we get to decide for ourselves rather than having something foisted on us without a by your leave.

I worry about the damage a nuclear accident could do to Cappielow.  Although possibly nobody could tell the difference.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

On the matter of Trident, as with everything else, the point about independence is that we get to decide for ourselves rather than having something foisted on us without a by your leave.

I worry about the damage a nuclear accident could do to Cappielow.  Although possibly nobody could tell the difference.

My thoughts exactly, the same as the currency issue. I absolutely agree we will get to decide for ourselves, not be led down a SNP policy vortex. A post independence government can then go in to bat on that one. For what it's worth, our location at the tip of the GIUK Gap means we would be mentalists to remove submarines from the Clyde post independence. 

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

As long as the US remains the global trade hegemon we don't face any threat whatsoever through the gap. Inasmuch as Scotland faces foreign policy threats, it's not nuclear submarines that will fix them, because this isn't 1988.

EOho8Pw.png

As long as the US remains the global trade hegemon we don't face any threat whatsoever through the gap. Inasmuch as Scotland faces foreign policy threats, it's not nuclear submarines that will fix them, because this isn't 1988.

Dunno what films you've been watching, but that's not strictly true.  I never mentioned nuclear submarines. The SNP white paper clearly stated there would be no Submarines in an iScotland, which was critiqued very strongly by the maritime powers of similar sized countries (Norway being primary). And before you Google it  and say "Denmark doesn't have Submarines anymore, they're about the same size". They have lateral agreements with Scandinavian countries and Germany. Which is of course an option for us with a rUK, which would need to run out of Faslane. 

Run Silent, Run Deep...

"Men who go to sea in Submarines are nothing but pirates in His Majesties uniform" Admiral of the Fleet Lord Jellicoe

What threat would an independent Scotland face through the gap?

Aliens and Sea monsters mostly!

Run Silent, Run Deep...

Dunno what films you've been watching, but that's not strictly true.  I never mentioned nuclear submarines. The SNP white paper clearly stated there would be no Submarines in an iScotland, which was critiqued very strongly by the maritime powers of similar sized countries (Norway being primary). And before you Google it  and say "Denmark doesn't have Submarines anymore, they're about the same size". They have lateral agreements with Scandinavian countries and Germany. Which is of course an option for us with a rUK, which would need to run out of Faslane. 

I don't think many people would object to a submarine base if such a thing was of use, or a naval base; it's the nuclear weapons that are the problem as far as I am concerned.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Although I totally agree that getting rid of Trident is undoubtedly for the greater good, I can at the same time see how someone who works there might see it differently.

This is how I feel about coal miners in the US, and similar. I totally get it. Peoples' identity is tied up in their work a lot of the time, and it's natural to want to protect it. Especially when there's huge uncertainty (there's that word again) over what comes next. "Oh, you're 50 years old and you've been doing this since you were a teenager? Just retrain, grandpa, the world can always use more web developers. Oh, what's that, you're no good with computers? Better get to the library, oud yin, although we'll just replace you with someone in Bangalore at the first opportunity anyway since he costs a fifth as much and promises the earth."

I absolutely don't envy people who are in heavy industries and the military in Europe in particular, it is a dark, dark time.

EOho8Pw.png

Going independent offers us as a country far more opportunities for growth however we limit those opportunities if we surrender currency and accept the euro - we'd kill ourselves if we go with the euro (not that the £ is doing any better at the moment although the euro is going to crash, as seen with countries such as Greece and Italy; also watch out for Spain in the coming years).

Yes, large corporations could potentially close down and leave thousands unemployed however I see that as a good sign as it'll smarten the general population up to get more people into skilled employment rather than vegetating either in the local job center or in a call center somewhere. Scotland's history is covered with entrepreneurs, inventors, scientists and much more yet our image is changing and we're becoming a dead nation. Being independent, in my opinion brings a totally new perspective to the people of Scotland.

Out with the Old, In with the New.

Yes, large corporations could potentially close down and leave thousands unemployed however I see that as a good sign as it'll smarten the general population up to get more people into skilled employment rather than vegetating either in the local job center or in a call center somewhere.

Yes that's how it'll work out you fckin plum.

This is how I feel about coal miners in the US, and similar. I totally get it. Peoples' identity is tied up in their work a lot of the time, and it's natural to want to protect it. Especially when there's huge uncertainty (there's that word again) over what comes next. "Oh, you're 50 years old and you've been doing this since you were a teenager? Just retrain, grandpa, the world can always use more web developers. Oh, what's that, you're no good with computers? Better get to the library, oud yin, although we'll just replace you with someone in Bangalore at the first opportunity anyway since he costs a fifth as much and promises the earth."

I absolutely don't envy people who are in heavy industries and the military in Europe in particular, it is a dark, dark time.

Unless you are Russian. Vladimir has his minions gearing up for battle on numerous fronts. No doubt they'll have the SNP in their pocket, again.

*insert signature here*

Archived