David Wylie Gone... - Page 2 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

David Wylie Gone...

delboy66

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our keepers have been the problem for many years - was always strange how Wylie was a constant over these years as his career imploded with the past back rule - maybe why Gaston was a shot stopper and not a goal keeper as Wylie could only mentor half the Goalkeepers job...

Just bounce if you hate St Mirren

Gaston really hasn’t been ‘the problem’ for years as it has usually been the dung in front of him hindering our chances of finishing as high in the league as possible. I haven’t seen any progression in his game that couldn’t be put down to ‘basic full time training and greater match experience’ though so I’m not buying the case for a positive Wylie effect either.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

Nothing against the guy but he was part of the first team coaching set up and seemed to hang on without any performance review regardless of how many managers we changed.

We should be looking at performance in all areas.

Not sure why he has been binned before the new manager comes in, whether it is cost cutting or they have someone else in mind, but he has been in the role for 10 years so a change is maybe not a bad thing.

Our keepers have been the problem for many years - was always strange how Wylie was a constant over these years as his career imploded with the past back rule - maybe why Gaston was a shot stopper and not a goal keeper as Wylie could only mentor half the Goalkeepers job...

The idea that a coach's ability to coach is limited by their ability as a player is just silly.

Gaston really hasn’t been ‘the problem’ for years as it has usually been the dung in front of him hindering our chances of finishing as high in the league as possible. I haven’t seen any progression in his game that couldn’t be put down to ‘basic full time training and greater match experience’ though so I’m not buying the case for a positive Wylie effect either.

I'd agree with that. It could have been a number of factors. It was clear that when he came in that he had weaknesses he had to improve, especially with moving his feet, and I'm assuming being full time was a big reason why he made those improvements.

He wasn't convincing at all in his first couple of months with us. He has improved in all aspects of his game since then.

Hopefully this isn't a cost cutting measure just to afford Hoppy. Id like to think its to allow him to bring in his own backroom staff

Wonder who his assistant will be

Neil Alexander. Assistant manager/goalkeeper coach/emergency backup keeper/...

Hopefully this isn't a cost cutting measure just to afford Hoppy. Id like to think its to allow him to bring in his own backroom staff

Wonder who his assistant will be

Even if it is cost cutting it's not necessarily a bad thing.

MacKinnon going through an operational review, should look at all areas.

Can we get better than Wylie for the same price? Can we get similar but cheaper? Can we get by with reducing it (part time role) or combining it with another role (player, or assistant manager)?

The fact he has gone suggested one of them was a yes.

I think he will bring in Joe McLaughlin as his assistant.

Joe was coaching at Livingston when Hoppy was there, defensive coach, and the walloper that is John Hartson was in as a coach for Strikers.

Obviously Hoppy was a midfielder and has that covered and Neil Alexander had the GK position covered.

Wonder if he will stick with Sutton as his development manager?

I think he will bring in Joe McLaughlin as his assistant.

Joe was coaching at Livingston when Hoppy was there, defensive coach, and the walloper that is John Hartson was in as a coach for Strikers.

Obviously Hoppy was a midfielder and has that covered and Neil Alexander had the GK position covered.

Wonder if he will stick with Sutton as his development manager?

The development squad staff should be nothing to do with the first team manager.

The development squad staff should be nothing to do with the first team manager.

I disagree. If we’re going down a cost cutting route and padding out the 1st team with development players the then the 1st team manager absolutely should have a say on who’s running the development squad!

here today, gone to hell

Even if it is cost cutting it's not necessarily a bad thing.

MacKinnon going through an operational review, should look at all areas.

Can we get better than Wylie for the same price? Can we get similar but cheaper? Can we get by with reducing it (part time role) or combining it with another role (player, or assistant manager)?

The fact he has gone suggested one of them was a yes.

Exactly this.

Getting the absolute best for the price paid is what matters here. The old romantic in me is a bit of a sucker for having ex players return to do a job but it’s not always what’s best for the club (a few names may spring to mind)

So yeah, if the quality to cost ratio is better by replacing Wylie then it is without doubt the right move for the club.

Development Squad should have everything to do with the first team. These are boys we are hoping will make the break through to first team players. The manager should have an active role with them, their development and who he feels deserves a call up etc.

Gaston hasn’t come on leaps and bounds. Gaston’s been the same level of “alright but prone to spilling a cross ball” as he was on the day he walked in the door.

McGurn? Aye, perhaps. Although I’d argue his improvement came at Raith Rovers and we never really saw the best of him.

Kevin Cuthbert was an excellent keeper at St. Johnstone, whose career was curtailed by Alan Main being the number one, I’m not buying Wylie having any real influence there.

I’m certainly not buying Robinson or Stewart- both pretty laughable claims, and we were about as happy to see both out the door when they left as we were to see Johansson swan off into the sunset the other week.

No harm to Wylie, but i’ll Not be losing any sleep over his departure. If Hopkin or whoever does come in has his own man, then great. Good to see a bit of a ruthless streak at the club.

Spot on.

I look forward to seeing far fewer goal kicks going into touch.

McGhee needs some support, there's no-one backing him up.
Hayes playing it forward, Bell being forced to do it all alone, now forward from Marr, here's Ritchie, still Andy Ritchie, look at the control...

That is a marvellous goal from Andy Ritchie. Twenty minutes on the clock and Morton's supporters come alive. A goal which epitomises the control, the arrogance, the cheek of Andy Ritchie.

Development Squad should have everything to do with the first team. These are boys we are hoping will make the break through to first team players. The manager should have an active role with them, their development and who he feels deserves a call up etc.

Active role with the players but not responsible for recruiting the development squad manager unless he is also part of the first team coaching setup.

Aye they would work togetherbut the appointment of staff is nothing to do with them.

At a push they might be consulted if someone new is coming in but there needs to be constancy there otherwise you'd have a complete turn around of staff every time there was a new manager. The development of young players would be severely hindered if their boss changed 3 times last season for example.

Archived