Hopkin Appointed - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

Hopkin Appointed

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greenock Morton Football Club are delighted to announce the appointment of David Hopkin as our new first-team manager on a three-year contract.

Greenock-born Hopkin returns to Cappielow for a fourth time after two separate spells as a player and a period on the backroom staff that saw him serve as development squad coach, interim manager, and assistant.

The 48-year-old bookended a glittering career in England – in which he scored a play-off final winning goal for Crystal Palace, captained Leeds in the Premier League, and won seven Scotland caps – with his local team.

After making his Morton debut aged 19 in 1989, he went on to earn a £350,000 move to Chelsea in September 1992 before returning to Sinclair Street after a decade down south, making a total of 58 appearances.

Since leaving his Cappielow coaching role in 2015, Hopkin has managed Livingston, memorably guiding the West Lothian outfit from League One to the Scottish Premiership in two seasons, along with a spell at Bradford City.

Chairman Crawford Rae identified the former Ton midfielder as his number one choice to fill the vacant post and is thrilled to have been able to bring him back to the club.

He said: “Attracting David back to the club is a massive coup for us, especially when he has been offered so many positions since leaving Livingston.

“David is a phenomenal coach and we are delighted that he will be working to further develop our home-grown talent while building a squad that will hopefully bring absent supporters back to Cappielow.

“David knows that it will take time to build and mould his team for the future, which is why we are both delighted to commit to a three-year term.

“This will provide the stability that we consider vital as we look to build a strong foundation upon which we can take the club forward and give us a chance of taking this fine club back to the top flight.

“To achieve this, we need your help. Moving forward we want to see supporters have greater involvement at Morton and have a greater say in how the club will be run in the future.

“If our supporters really want to see the club flourish then this is the time for our fans to get involved with Morton Club Together (MCT) and make a pledge.

“Every penny donated will go directly towards raising Hoppy’s budget while increasing the MCT shareholding in Greenock Morton from shares gifted back from the Rae family.

“I firmly believe we are seeing the dawn of a new era for the club and look forward to working with our management team, players, and our supporters to bring success back to Morton FC. Let Morton club together.”

3 years is a big commitment. Right manager though, looking forward to seeing who he can bring in.

Peter Weatherson is the greatest player since Ritchie, and should be assigned 'chairman for life' 

onsP5NR.jpg

Three years is a surprise and a big commitment. Provided that’s not actually a Johansson style ‘only one year but we might extend it’.

Looking forward to the recruitment getting underway now, with an indication of what kind of budget he’s been given and whether the playoffs are realistic. He’s succeeded on a tiny budget before though.

Brian Wake my Lord, Brian Wake

Oh Lord, Brian Wake

It's a great appointment for sure, but...

Last year, Ray McKinnon was given a one year deal when we were starting out on a three year plan to make the top flight. A few months later, the three year plan was gone, yet Johansson was given a two year deal. Another few months later, the three year plan is a distant memory, the budget is, apparently, being cut to run on a break-even basis, and we're giving a bigger managerial (and presumably higher paid) manager a three year deal.

It's somewhat inconsistent, but we can only wait and see what happens over the next few months. The mixed messages are frustrating, but ultimately we've (theoretically) upgraded the manager and CEO so fingers crossed they can deliver.

AWMSC

It's a great appointment for sure, but...

Last year, Ray McKinnon was given a one year deal when we were starting out on a three year plan to make the top flight. A few months later, the three year plan was gone, yet Johansson was given a two year deal. Another few months later, the three year plan is a distant memory, the budget is, apparently, being cut to run on a break-even basis, and we're giving a bigger managerial (and presumably higher paid) manager a three year deal.

It's somewhat inconsistent, but we can only wait and see what happens over the next few months. The mixed messages are frustrating, but ultimately we've (theoretically) upgraded the manager and CEO so fingers crossed they can deliver.

It's not as inconsistent as that.

McKinnon got 1 year rolling. So the commitment was there should performance have been good enough to ensure the 3 year plan was on track. He bailed way before we got to see where he would have been (and obviously the 3 year plan was liquidated).

Johannson got a 1 year with extension option based on performance. He failed on that measure so didn't get his 2nd year.

Having gone through Duffy, McKinnon and Johansson inside 12 months, not a surprise this time that they are going in hard with a view that they want a manager for longer term.

Risk if performances flatline, but they are betting big on the guy they have wanted for a long time now.

What's to say Hopkin's extension beyond year one also doesn't carry performance related caveats.

The most surprising thing is Hopkin actually going for a 3 year deal as he has been very vocal in the past about choosing to only sign 1 year deals.

Good appointment which will hopefully get some of the estranged fans back onside (as Rae alludes to in his statement).  Appointing such a relatively high profile candidate will hopefully also go some way toward making people take us seriously(in light of the way the departure of JJ & PH was portrayed in the media).  It will be interesting to hear what the Duffy fluffers in the media will make of "little Morton" making this appointment

I was about 90% decided not to renew my season tickets and now the club are pulling this on me, I may need a serious rethink. Will be interesting to see the comings and goings that follow but I’m pleased with this appointment and maybe the optimism of last years preseason will return in full flow.

Great appointment and about the only appointment Crawford could have made that almost all of our support would have approved of. I salute Crawford for swifty sorting this out and allowing Hopkin in early doors to get working on this squad, can only imagine he's been promised some sort of budget as players are needed big time.

1st thing on his To Do List - Sign Tidser up PRONTO!

Archived