January Transfer Window Thread - Page 4 - General Morton Chatter - TheMortonForum.com Jump to content
TheMortonForum.com

January Transfer Window Thread

BishopBrennan

On Tumility, I'm not really convinced he's as bad as has been made out. If somebody better became available and we could move him on then so be it, but if he stays then I wouldn't be upset about it. I'd be intrigued to see what he'd be like playing in midfield or something, he seems to have a reasonable amount of ability - no idea if it would work and wouldn't really want to risk it in a proper game, but would be interested to see it in a reserve match or the like. Wouldn't be the first time a switch like that has paid off for a player.

No. Nope. Nah. 

Please see Mark Russell's current career trajectory when struggling full backs get thrown into midfield to 'see what happens'. 

You address me by my proper title, you little bollocks! 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tumilty's contributions to Alloa's two goals are good examples of why Tumilty gets so much criticism. He seldom escapes a match without giving away an opportunity or three.

I think if you look over the goals and chances we've conceded this season it's clear that the defence makes mistakes individually and as a unit which can't really be shifted too much onto other members of the team. A player like Jamie Lindsay would help, but only in the sense that the defence needs to be bailed out more than it should. Saturday's goal is a good example of that. Iredale gives the ball away, McKeown gets done, and perhaps McAlister could bail them out - but it's difficult to find a defensive midfield player who is good enough to do that level of recovery on any consistent basis.

It's not so much as bailing out as giving shape and definition to the team. If you had a tactically aware player in a reasonably well-drilled team (which we clearly don't have) then you'd be expecting them to be taking up the right positions in the first place before any bailing out needs to be done. Big gaps keep appearing because nobody is seeing them before they happen.

Whilst its not necessarily the exact type of player Millar is, we really should be trying him in a deeper role even if it's beside McAlister rather than in his place.

No. Nope. Nah. 

Please see Mark Russell's current career trajectory when struggling full backs get thrown into midfield to 'see what happens'. 

I'm not suggesting we make some concerted effort to transform him into some born-again Xavi or anything, and as I said I wouldn't do it in a real game. It'd just be interesting to see how it worked out in the last half hour of a bounce game. Maybe terribly, maybe not but it wouldn't cost anything. I'd guess these things happen all the time.

AWMSC

To be fair, Taggart actually done alright there for a few games before deciding he couldn't be bothered anymore. Quite a few full-backs have made the transition, with varying levels of success although not really any for us. Craig Reid had a couple of decent games before reverting to type, the absolute serpent that he is.

Anyway, I'm not making any kind of impassioned case or plea for Tumility to be tried there, I'd just be curious to see how it went if it were to happen. Probably not particularly well, but still.

AWMSC

We need a right wing-back to compete with/replace because he's gubbins Tumilty in January regardless. That, a centre-back and a centre forward should be our three priorities, but even with getting possibly getting shot of the usual August-January ringers I don't see where the money is coming from even for that. The cups have offered nothing extra to the budget so far which is another reason why our approach to them was ridiculously short-sighted.

The site is supposed to be a place for the extended 'family' of Morton supporters - having an affinity with people that you don't know, because you share a love of your local football club. It's not supposed to be about point scoring and showing how 'clever' or 'funny' you are, or just being downright rude and offensive to people you don't know, because you can get away with it. Unfortunately, it seems the classic case of people who have little standing/presence in real life, use this forum as a way of making themselves feel as if they are something. It's sad, and I've said that before..

So, having been on Morton forums for about 15 years I guess, I've had enough... well done t*ssers, another Morton supporter driven away. You can all feel happy at how 'clever' you are

We need a right wing-back to compete with/replace because he's gubbins Tumilty in January regardless. That, a centre-back and a centre forward should be our three priorities, but even with getting possibly getting shot of the usual August-January ringers I don't see where the money is coming from even for that. The cups have offered nothing extra to the budget so far which is another reason why our approach to them was ridiculously short-sighted.

Decent strikers at this level are like hens teeth, bearing in mind Thistle have a load of cash and MacKinnon is pretty shrewd. I think Rudden would of been decent for us and I just don't see Johansen persuading a decent young loanee to come to us over the alternatives. Only hope is that he has contacts that can help him in Finland maybe!?

Decent strikers at this level are like hens teeth, bearing in mind Thistle have a load of cash and MacKinnon is pretty shrewd. I think Rudden would of been decent for us and I just don't see Johansen persuading a decent young loanee to come to us over the alternatives. Only hope is that he has contacts that can help him in Finland maybe!?

McKinnon is shrewed?

Wouldn’t say so from some of the signings he has made for us!

Robbie Crawford training with the club.

Probably just a winter break in Iceland.

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

McKinnon is shrewed?

Wouldn’t say so from some of the signings he has made for us!

The squad has its deficiencies for sure, but it'd be performing far better if McKinnon, or indeed any competent manager, was in charge. In the 5 games he decided to compete in, we had an aggregate score of 13-3 which included wins over Ross County and Alloa; by contract, we've since lost 5-1 to the former and 2-0 at home to the latter. Two of those were against lower league opposition for sure, but again, we've since drawn with Peterhead so it's still a decline.

Christ, even when he decided to fanny about he still didn't lose 5 goals to Ayr.

Don't get me wrong here, I despise the cunt and I hope he needs to carry some goalposts about the training ground at some point, but he's a comfortably better manager than Johanssen and had and would have this group of players doing much better than they currently are. There's no point trying to deny that.

AWMSC

The squad has its deficiencies for sure, but it'd be performing far better if McKinnon, or indeed any competent manager, was in charge. In the 5 games he decided to compete in, we had an aggregate score of 13-3 which included wins over Ross County and Alloa; by contract, we've since lost 5-1 to the former and 2-0 at home to the latter. Two of those were against lower league opposition for sure, but again, we've since drawn with Peterhead so it's still a decline.

Christ, even when he decided to fanny about he still didn't lose 5 goals to Ayr.

Don't get me wrong here, I despise the **** and I hope he needs to carry some goalposts about the training ground at some point, but he's a comfortably better manager than Johanssen and had and would have this group of players doing much better than they currently are. There's no point trying to deny that.

So he decided to compete in some of the League Cup games but not others? I'm not buying that. He took the same semi competitive approach in all those matches (one just happened to be against the worst League team in the country).

QotS should have buried us on the opening day of the season. The early results made things look better than they actually were.

I won't disagree that we would be doing better. We probably would, but I'm not convinced things would be much better. Apart from a decent season with Raith I'm not sure what McKinnon has ever done to suggest that he's actually a good manager. His failure at Dundee Utd was spectacular.

So he decided to compete in some of the League Cup games but not others? I'm not buying that. He took the same semi competitive approach in all those matches (one just happened to be against the worst League team in the country).

QotS should have buried us on the opening day of the season. The early results made things look better than they actually were.

I won't disagree that we would be doing better. We probably would, but I'm not convinced things would be much better. Apart from a decent season with Raith I'm not sure what McKinnon has ever done to suggest that he's actually a good manager. His failure at Dundee Utd was spectacular.

The Ayr game saw a rather bizarre defensive set-up and the Partick one saw Tidser at left-back. I'd suggest that proves the point. There's many odd things about McKinnon's approach to the two early cups, but fannying about against the good teams then playing a more settled side against the diddies is particularly baffling. Fact of the matter is that we comfortably dismissed the two lower league sides and failed to do that against Peterhead.

So what if the results made it look better? The results now look ****in rubbish, so I couldn't really care less how a 2-1 win over Ross County came about. It did, though, come about in a fashion that is highly unlikely to ever happen under the current manager.

Finally, Dundee United haven't improved since his departure. McKinnon's no Pep, but he's comfortably better than Johansson and will most likely keep Falkirk up, or at the very least avoid bottom spot which would still be an good achievement in the circumstances.

AWMSC

There's nowhere near a big enough sample size of league matches to qualify whether McKinnon would have had us in a better position right now. The squad had the exact same deficiencies under him as it has now. I'm sure there would have been a couple of embarrassing results under him as well. 

Good people will do good things, bad people will do bad things, but only with religion do good people do bad things!

32.gif

The Ayr game saw a rather bizarre defensive set-up and the Partick one saw Tidser at left-back. I'd suggest that proves the point. There's many odd things about McKinnon's approach to the two early cups, but fannying about against the good teams then playing a more settled side against the diddies is particularly baffling. Fact of the matter is that we comfortably dismissed the two lower league sides and failed to do that against Peterhead.

So what if the results made it look better? The results now look ****in rubbish, so I couldn't really care less how a 2-1 win over Ross County came about. It did, though, come about in a fashion that is highly unlikely to ever happen under the current manager.

Finally, Dundee United haven't improved since his departure. McKinnon's no Pep, but he's comfortably better than Johansson and will most likely keep Falkirk up, or at the very least avoid bottom spot which would still be an good achievement in the circumstances.

Dundee Utd have improved now. I'd be surprised if they weren't promoted this season. McKinnon's 57 points in his season there was terrible. It would be like Duffy finishing with 57 points and losing in the playoffs in our League One season. The irony is that it was the Challenge cup win that gave him a crack at a second season there. Dundee Utd should have strolled this league last season, they stuttered again under McKinnon.

Results are more important than performances, absolutely, but my point was that our defensive cracks were there from the start and it's no surprise that we've had some really poor results. I'd agree that McKinnon would have been better placed to mitigate that, but I'm not convinced that we'd have many more points under McKinnon. Just because he experimented against Thistle and Ayr doesn't mean that this was the only cause of our defeats. The constant this season, through everything, has been a shaky defence.

Far too early to write off Johannson although I recognise that a few fellow posters disagree and some wrote him off not all that long after he was appointed.

He has not one player of his choosing and of the squad he inherited has still to have a game when they are all available.

He is in the early stages of being a football manager and as in any job will learn as he goes along.

Comparisons with McKinnon are not particularly valid and almost all hypothetical.

I'm not predicting that JJ is going to be a massive success at Morton; I just don't know, but like all other Morton fans I hope so.

Time will tell.

I really don’t like the “not his players” stuff. Of course they’re not, but any manager walking into a job during the season faces the same issue, and he can’t drastically overhaul the team until next summer anyway.

I really don’t like the “not his players” stuff. Of course they’re not, but any manager walking into a job during the season faces the same issue, and he can’t drastically overhaul the team until next summer anyway.

When you look at our league, Neilson has done well with the squad he inherited whereas Caldwell and The Snake have had shockers. Some will argue they have poor squads but I don't think that covers just how bad they are both doing, they should be doing better!!

JJ is probably right in the middle, not great but not terrible. 3 wins, 4 draws and 3 defeats.

I also wouldn't say it was a given that McKinnon would have had a better points return than JJ in those 10 games.

Edit- 4 of those 10 games were away to the top 4, so hopefully a slightly easier next ten!

When I said shrewd I was talking about his transfer dealings given this is the Jan window thread and we will be in direct competition during the window with a number of teams including them. He seems to have a snake like charm to attracting players, the thread has veered off into management abilities and given the mess they were in when he took over most Falkirk fans think he's turning them around. He's not the messiah though he's just a very naughty boy. Back on topic who do you think we can realistically attract specifically as a striker?

When I said shrewd I was talking about his transfer dealings given this is the Jan window thread and we will be in direct competition during the window with a number of teams including them. He seems to have a snake like charm to attracting players, the thread has veered off into management abilities and given the mess they were in when he took over most Falkirk fans think he's turning them around. He's not the messiah though he's just a very naughty boy. Back on topic who do you think we can realistically attract specifically as a striker?

Would be nice to sign that Denny Johnstone.  What is he doing these days?

"Any nation given the opportunity to regain its national sovereignty and which then rejects it is so far beneath contempt that it is hard to put words to it."

Archived